Does anyone go to the gym alone?

Options

Replies

• housels
    housels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU MENTALLY READY???? I went to the gym looking for an accountability partner. I found one, but she didn't work out. I tried to get my g/f to start with me too even though we live in different cities, but she had too many excuses. I had already MENTALLY set myself for what I wanted/needed to do in the gym, so it didn't sway me one way or another if I had an accountability partner or not. Also with your mindset, you're going to get bored and eventually stop going therefore you may need a gym with classes to change it up. Set your own small fun goals to keep it interesting so you can zone out and focus on your workout. Find some good good music. I listen to techno gym on Pandora. A lot of people turn their head lol, but when you want/need that heart throbbing beat and base to get you moving.....that's it and before you know it, your workout is done. Challenge yourself. Change it up. Lift weights too...don't shy away or be intimidated in the gym....i believe that's what it is for most. Walk into the gym with blinders on girl. You got this!!!!! Again are you MENTALLY ready for this?
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    A friend and I joined at the same time and I still prefer to go alone. I like to mix it up and most days, weather permitting, I walk 5-8 miles. When I do go to the gym I like to get my tunes in, do hiit, get in get out, not there to socialize. If meeting with a trainer isn't in the budget, YouTube up a routine while there, and try to follow along. Start off with machines that you feel comfortable with, and push a lil harder as you go, don't over do.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I go alone it's not really an issue. First time I went with my coach just to go through the exercises and that I've to do. After the first 3 or 4 times I soon got into the swing of it and routine of it.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I go alone all the time. None of my friends are are at the same fitness level as me. I think most people tend to go to the gym alone.

As far as your friend, you don't need your friend there with you. Sounds like she'd slow you down.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Back when I had a gym membership and went 2-3 times per week, I would always go alone. It was a 24/7 community gym with key-card access so I could go about whenever I wanted. The facility was not very big with an open floor plan and various areas with different types of equipment, weights, etc. With the exception of locker rooms / bathrooms, anybody in the gym could see completely across the gym from anywhere and know everyone else in the gym.

I'm generally a quiet person, so I never really talked to anyone. I did come to recognize about a half dozen 'regulars' with mostly the same schedule as me. On other occasions, I might be in at midnight or 2am and be the only other person there. As long as I wasn't doing anything where I would need a spotter (never did even when there were others around), there wasn't a significant safety risk. I prefer to workout alone anyway, so the early AM when nobody else was around was always the best time.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I always go to the gym alone. When dd is home, she goes with me. Early. At the most, only 2 or 3 other people there, they are also alone.
    I prefer to be there alone. I want to do my thing, get done, and leave.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Of course I go alone, most of the times I go with my mom but she's not exactly my gym buddy lol, so yeah, alone or not the important thing is that the squat rack is free :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I work out alone and with a buddy. On Thursdays I lift with a buddy and a personal trainer, and the rest of the week I am on my own. But in about two weeks I'm going to lose my workout buddy b/c she's moving and once my remaining PT lessons are used up, I'll be completely on my own. Honestly, I'm looking forward to it. I prefer to workout on my own. Just me, my music, and the bar or pole. I can get in and get out. I don't have to worry about someone canceling or trying to work my schedule around someone else's. But it's all a preference.

It was super nice of you to purchase that membership for your friend. But since that person is no longer going to be going. Cancel it and save your money. Put your headphones on and focus on you.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I go alone. It's also easier because if I want to stay longer I can, if I need to leave earlier I can. I can do the machines or activities I want. The only downside is my accountability is only to myself.
  • CitizenNova
    CitizenNova Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Like others have said -- go alone. If you need a hook find a program you like on bodyspace.bodybuilding.com and download their app to track your workouts. I find using the app to log my workouts helps me to stay motivated.
  • russelfine
    russelfine Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I started out six years ago I had a partner bail on me. Go, don't quit and make it happen you'll be happier for it :smile:

I wouldn't be where it was if I had quit that first week. I still prefer to go to the gym alone now. It's my meditation time :)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Always go alone.....
  • moontenshi23
    moontenshi23 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I go alone often. I have a hard time pushing myself to get in the car and go, but when I'm there I really enjoy the alone time. I take the time to reflect on my day and focus on myself. It feels really good
  • TiffanyBeckett
    TiffanyBeckett Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I always go alone I feel like I accomplish more! It's my quiet time away from my three kids and husband I enjoy it!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    dniania wrote: »
    I bought my friend a gym membership because we both wanted to lose weight now...she's backing out of going to the gym...and doesn't really want to go anymore so I have to go alone from now on...how can I motivate myself to go alone I rather have my friend with me but oh well

Go to the gym like you go t work. It's not "motivation" it's determination. Find what you like doing and do it. Just like you get out of your comfy warm bed each and every morning to go to work, make gym attendance and your work out just a mandatory. You do it because you like the results achieved. You do it because you want to do it. Motivation is not necessary, you do it because it make you feel good/better.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I bought my friend a gym membership because we both wanted to lose weight now...she's backing out of going to the gym...and doesn't really want to go anymore so I have to go alone from now on...how can I motivate myself to go alone I rather have my friend with me but oh well

I have always gone alone. I don't like to work out with anyone as it takes a lot more time and I don't get as much done. I'm not a chatty cathy - I want to do my stuff and be done and gone.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've always gone alone, I never even wanted to work out with someone else. I'm just not motivated like that.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I've always gone alone, I never even wanted to work out with someone else. I'm just not motivated like that.

Ditto.
  • crystalmorrison378
    crystalmorrison378 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I go to the gym alone. Yes it's fun when you have some1 going with you, but I manage just fine without some1 as well. I just put in my earbuds, crank up classic rock on Pandora and get to work!