Running pace and weightloss

Options
I'm female, 5'6' and weigh 168lbs. I'd like to be 140lbs. A key motivator is to run faster. I just followed a calculation online which suggests that merely through weightloss I could reduce my 5k time from around 35mins to under 25mins. This seemed extraordinary but hugely motivating. Is it in anyway likely?! Would love everyone to post evidence backing it up but fully expect everyone to say 'don't kid yourself'!

Replies

• unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have also read a figure for how much faster a person can run with each kg lost but can't remember the number right now.
    Makes sense though, for a given level of strength and fitness, if you have less mass to move, you should be able to move it faster.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    This is more of an academic issue, since it is difficult to separate the effect of weight loss from the effect of training.

If you could magically take off 28 lbs in a day, your 5k time would not improve by 10 min.

However if you trained well during the 3 months it would realistically take to lose 28 lbs, it is feasible to see that level of improvement.

10 minutes in 3 months still seems excessively fast to improve that much?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The wisdom I keep hearing in all my running workshops is to run longer to get faster.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It is hard to separate weight loss from training, but from personal experience just losing weight makes a huge difference to speed and it makes total sense that it would as it's a lot more work to run 165 lbs around than 140.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    This is more of an academic issue, since it is difficult to separate the effect of weight loss from the effect of training.

If you could magically take off 28 lbs in a day, your 5k time would not improve by 10 min.

However if you trained well during the 3 months it would realistically take to lose 28 lbs, it is feasible to see that level of improvement.

10 minutes in 3 months still seems excessively fast to improve that much?

It would really depend on the person's innate ability and experience. A rank beginner with some inherent aerobic ability could progress rapidly.

A few years ago, I lost 35 lb in 3 mos, had not been running for awhile and went from 30 min to 23:00 in about that time.

But, upon further thought, it's probably much less likely than I made it sound.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Weightloss has definitely made my pace quicker. I lost 35lbs last year, and in a recent race got a three minute PB(a PB set 8 years ago when I was what I thought my fittest!), I didn't even know I could run that fast!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's an idea. As you lose weight put the same amount in a backpack for your runs. Then on race day run without the pack. That way you increase capacity and strength as you lose.

I bet you will breeze through your run.

I would not use a backpack for this. You wouldn't want the extra weight bouncing around and/or distorting your center of mass. A weighted vest might work for this purpose.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    On runners world they did a study/article that showed how to find your fastest running weight. At some point you lose any gains in speed, so being super thin doesn't make you faster. I find it difficult to run faster when I'm cutting calories.

If you want to improve speed and vo2, speed intervals worked great for me. I don't have a lot of time to run lots of mileage every week to get faster.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I think a combo of regular training and weight loss will help reduce your 5K time. With weight loss, there is less weight for your legs to carry. With more training, your body will become more efficient, also improving your time.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I can kinda help...

At 17, and 138 lbs, I ran 18 minute 5ks.
    At 35 and 149 lbs, I ran a 20:45 on a fairly flat, near sea level course
    At 36 and 160 lbs, I ran a 21:28 on a hilly course, about 150m elevation
    At 38 and 180 lbs, I ran a 22:56 on the same course.

My training load was not identical. And the last race was on the edge of a hurricane with a IT band flaring up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will definitely help...it definitely helps with my cycling...but it's hard to say how much and to separate weight from the training. I pretty much always put on some weight from about October through December because my training and general activity goes on the decline...I generally start picking up my training again in January...I'm generally much improved in both mileage and speed by April/May...I'm also down in weight...but it's hard to separate the training from the weight...at that point I would have been training for 4-5 months while dropping the weight.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We can quibble about the exact calculations of how much each pound will help. But clearly weighing less is an advantage. Otherwise, why would the elite runners be so skinny? If carrying more weight didn't hurt, wouldn't they be better off with some more reserves than they seem to have?
    I say: Try it and see how it goes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    The wisdom I keep hearing in all my running workshops is to run longer to get faster.

This is how I feel.

While being lighter will undoubtedly improve performance, you can't rush to get faster. Or rather you shouldn't.

Let it happen on its own. Worry about endurance and let speed come.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weighing less will help. How much depends on a lot of factors. Why don't you track your time as you lose weight and report back to us? That would serve as great evidence!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

As a beginner runner, your biggest gains in speed are going to come from building mileage and the associated cardiovascular improvements. I PR'd my 5k by training for a marathon/50k.

Weighing less generally helps you run faster (to a point), but given equal training, just the weight loss isn't going to make NEARLY that much of a difference.
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Some great responses. I think I needed it in black and white really that I just need to knuckle down and lose weight. I trained for and ran my first marathon last year, and rather than dropping weight, did the opposit and ended up 7lbs heavier come race day. My pace slowed, but it was hard to compare given the long re training runs and heavy, tired legs with the higher weekly mileage. But I need to accept that increased weight played a role. I'm now training for a half marathon fell race in May and need to stop the vice in my head saying 'eat plenty to train well' and accept that I should eat to a small deficit so that I'm lighter too. I love running (or rather the feeling of being able to run) and although I started in order to lose weight (and I've lost a lot over the past couple of years) I'm now realising running might be the goal, and losing weight simply a way to improve it. I'll report back come May if there's any useful findings!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I gained a couple of pounds training for my first half last year... this time I am determined to be lighter when I run it! But I get so rungry!!!!

Good luck OP!
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you too! The runger was ridiculous last year, but when I looked back, I realised the weight dropped most and the pace increased when I ran more often but fewer miles (3-4 miles 4 times during the week plus a long run at the weekend). Anything longer in the week and I see it as a reason to eat more. 3-4 miles just doesn't justify more food to me. Training for a half, with hill and interval training thrown in, I can manage on shorter, more frequent runs during the week, so can hopefully avoid getting rungry!