Newbie on low carb

Options
Hello there

Love this app .. im a serial yo yo dieter and this seems to keep me accountable.
Would love to find others who are on a low carb diet.

Replies

• madgenius1
    madgenius1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is the heart attack support group, good luck heart attack supporters
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    madgenius1 wrote: »

and why do you feel this way?
  • mgmalek
    mgmalek Posts: 31 Member
    Options

What do you mean by that? Is it that many low carb recipes are high fat?
  • madgenius1
    madgenius1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mgmalek wrote: »

Absolutely my love, high protein diets are full of cholesterol and bad fats, and more vegan style diet is the way to go for healthy hearts, and I'm not supporting 100% veganism. I'm just supporting healthier hearts, so eat less meat, eat more complex carbs, which are beans potatoes rice and grains,
  • ktweldon3
    ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been successful only when low carbs. Basically Keto diet. Found by joining Profile by Sandford and lost 15lbs within 6 weeks. Yoyo myself and just recommitting again. Happy to be friends if you'd like, just add me.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Many people only have success on low carb, also many of us include veggies with every meal. Eating regular rice & pasta no longer work for me---- riced cauliflower is a great food. Each person has to do what is best for their own body. GL @vickimcdonald73
  • vickimcdonald73
    vickimcdonald73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Linia I totally agree with you, I incorporate vegetables into my meals but staying away from carbs helps me to feel satisfied, without all the cravings I usually had.
    It works for me
  • susanfudge7714
    susanfudge7714 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vicki that is so true. The traditional 'low fat rice cakes' and other low-fat carbs are no good. They just raise your glycemic level and the minute you chew it up it turns to sugar anyway. I try to do 'low-carb' and 'fat-controlled'. I need meat for my iron levels and to keep me satisfied. Empty carbs from rice and potato and stuff just made me hungrier! I think it's about balance...I watch my carbs but I don't think it's healthy to get carried away with cutting carbs if your diet is going to be super high-fat. I mean it is possible to maintain low carb without eating pork chops at 3 am lol...Good for you and good luck to you all.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Vicki that is so true. The traditional 'low fat rice cakes' and other low-fat carbs are no good. They just raise your glycemic level and the minute you chew it up it turns to sugar anyway. I try to do 'low-carb' and 'fat-controlled'. I need meat for my iron levels and to keep me satisfied. Empty carbs from rice and potato and stuff just made me hungrier! I think it's about balance...I watch my carbs but I don't think it's healthy to get carried away with cutting carbs if your diet is going to be super high-fat. I mean it is possible to maintain low carb without eating pork chops at 3 am lol...Good for you and good luck to you all.

all carbs are broken down into glucose,the only difference is ones with fiber in them are broken down more slowly,those who do keto are low carb and high fat and a lot of benefits come from that for those who have certain health issues such as type 2 diabetes,insulin resistance,pcos,some seizure disorders and so on.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Absolutely my love, high protein diets are full of cholesterol and bad fats, and more vegan style diet is the way to go for healthy hearts, and I'm not supporting 100% veganism. I'm just supporting healthier hearts, so eat less meat, eat more complex carbs, which are beans potatoes rice and grains,

keto is low carb high fat, not high protein. and you can get a lot of protein in without all that fat, Im on a low fat diet due to a health issue I just consume more low to no fat dairy products,low fat cheese, and other low to no fat products. fats arent bad unless you have a health issue like I do and saturated fats and fat has to be lower than normal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello there

Love this app .. im a serial yo yo dieter and this seems to keep me accountable.
    Would love to find others who are on a low carb diet.

As a fellow serial yo-yo'er I gave up on "diets" in favor of lifestyle changes. If low cab is going to be something that helps you during maintenance (as in lifestyle change) good for you.

I found low carb was not sustainable long-term for me (no medical issues). So there really were no tools available, nothing I learned from low carb. Maintenance was like starting from scratch.
  • Wiccanandi
    Wiccanandi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb diet, been on it for 2 and half weeks, i don't deny myself carbs if i want them, but i eat more protein and vegetables which fill me up. feel free to add me if you want
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This groups is very supportive of low carb diets: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

This has largely been debunked. Dietary cholesterol does not lead to high cholesterol, and high fat diets do not hurt your lipid profile. There are exceptions of course, those with familial hypercholesterolemia will damage their cardiovascular health by eating high fat. Everyone else will generally see lower triglycerides, higher HDL and no real change in their LDL.

I have no doubt that a pritkin/Ornish style of vegan diet can be healthy for some, but LCHF can be too.

Oh, also LCHF can be vegetarian or vegan too, although veganism becomes slightly harder for those going for under 50g of carbs per day.
  • jennjensp25
    jennjensp25 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm about to start next week but still get he ring information and getting baffled by it all as mixture of American and UK their ways are different. I'm from UK. I need lose 36kg