Running pace and weightloss

Options
2»

Replies

• ktweldon3
    ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and run HM's. You can get your 5k under 30min., will be easier at the lower weight. I can relate, been there and done that AND doing again. CW: 155, GW:135 and after a sabbatical, starting to run again, HM in April. Add me as a friend if you would like and we can hold each other accountable to get to that pace!
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Check out this calculator. Very interesting and it does output weight calculations to see how your time could change with weight loss

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Calculator
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    This is more of an academic issue, since it is difficult to separate the effect of weight loss from the effect of training.

If you could magically take off 28 lbs in a day, your 5k time would not improve by 10 min.

However if you trained well during the 3 months it would realistically take to lose 28 lbs, it is feasible to see that level of improvement.

10 minutes in 3 months still seems excessively fast to improve that much?

It would really depend on the person's innate ability and experience. A rank beginner with some inherent aerobic ability could progress rapidly.

A few years ago, I lost 35 lb in 3 mos, had not been running for awhile and went from 30 min to 23:00 in about that time.

But, upon further thought, it's probably much less likely than I made it sound.

A few years ago I dropped over 30lbs in about 5 months. I went from running a 30 + minute 5k (not quite 35 but definitely solidly over 30) to finishing my first 5k under 25 minutes ever. I also PR'd a half marathon and had an exceptionally fast 17k for me.
    To be fair, I was working out consistently, lifting weights and other cardio. My running training was pretty much the same as always volume and effort. So while there is no doubt I was increasing fitness, I think that the weight drop played a large role in it. I am not as light as I was then and am working harder than I ever was but not quite back to that speed yet.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    gorple76 wrote: »
    ...although I started in order to lose weight (and I've lost a lot over the past couple of years) I'm now realising running might be the goal, and losing weight simply a way to improve it.

This is similar to a pretty major epiphany I had a couple months back. I kept losing and regaining, always with the weight loss as my primary concern and my athletic performance secondary. I've switched them now. I eat and train for performance, and my weight is simply a factor in that. The whole endeavor feels much more sustainable and enjoyable. I'm working to gain something, not escape something.

My next race is in 3 weeks, my training is paying off in speed gains, and I'm down 35 lbs. :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Gorple - I also gained weight last year during marathon training. A large part of it was the taper and post race period, where I still had the hunger, but wasn't doing the miles. I also tend to overeat on MLR and LR days, saying to myself, "I just ran 10/20 miles, I can eat anything." This year I worked to lose some weight before starting training and I am tracking what I eat. I'm hoping it will keep the free for all eating at bay. I'll still eat more to fuel the longer runs, but hopefully I won't gain this time around.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you too! The runger was ridiculous last year, but when I looked back, I realised the weight dropped most and the pace increased when I ran more often but fewer miles (3-4 miles 4 times during the week plus a long run at the weekend). Anything longer in the week and I see it as a reason to eat more. 3-4 miles just doesn't justify more food to me. Training for a half, with hill and interval training thrown in, I can manage on shorter, more frequent runs during the week, so can hopefully avoid getting rungry!

Interesting... it is long run day that makes me feel like a bottomless pit. I have found that adding a couple of hundred cals extra the day before helps.

Last year I was 140lbs when I did my HM, I'm 137 now and would like to be 132ish come race day, which according to this thread should make a difference.
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Gorple - I also gained weight last year during marathon training. A large part of it was the taper and post race period, where I still had the hunger, but wasn't doing the miles. I also tend to overeat on MLR and LR days, saying to myself, "I just ran 10/20 miles, I can eat anything." This year I worked to lose some weight before starting training and I am tracking what I eat. I'm hoping it will keep the free for all eating at bay. I'll still eat more to fuel the longer runs, but hopefully I won't gain this time around.

Exactly this! Let me know how you get on this year
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    ...although I started in order to lose weight (and I've lost a lot over the past couple of years) I'm now realising running might be the goal, and losing weight simply a way to improve it.

This is similar to a pretty major epiphany I had a couple months back. I kept losing and regaining, always with the weight loss as my primary concern and my athletic performance secondary. I've switched them now. I eat and train for performance, and my weight is simply a factor in that. The whole endeavor feels much more sustainable and enjoyable. I'm working to gain something, not escape something.

My next race is in 3 weeks, my training is paying off in speed gains, and I'm down 35 lbs. :)

This is what I'm hoping for. Thanks for the motivation!