workout routine for mass?

Options
Hello there. Which is your favorite workout routine for gaining muscle?
Thnx

Replies

• johnyvaquera
    johnyvaquera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to do 3 reps with 70% max weight, and the 4th rep do a drop set from 80% max weight.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My own. Basically boils down to adding more volume every week until I want the sweet release of death, then deload for a week rinse repeat.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Brad Schoenfeld has been spending a lot of time researching and studying other peoples results and a few snippets of info stand out for building size.
    1. You can build muscle training once per week, but there is a noticeable improvement if you train twice per week. However there is no firm answer that training 3x weekly gives better results than 2x weekly.
    2. You can gain with 5 hard sets per week, but training 10 sets per week, again gives noticeable better results. More than 10 sets might be better as long as you can recover. Might be a good idea to cycle volume.
    3. Spend 70-80% of your training in 6-12 rep range, and the rest, below 6 and higher than 12.

Bear in mind these are just my interpretations, which I'm planning to follow this year.

I'm currently training upper, lower and upper. This gives me two upper body and one lower per week.
  • hamshor
    hamshor Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Brad Schoenfeld has been spending a lot of time researching and studying other peoples results and a few snippets of info stand out for building size.
    1. You can build muscle training once per week, but there is a noticeable improvement if you train twice per week. However there is no firm answer that training 3x weekly gives better results than 2x weekly.
    2. You can gain with 5 hard sets per week, but training 10 sets per week, again gives noticeable better results. More than 10 sets might be better as long as you can recover. Might be a good idea to cycle volume.
    3. Spend 70-80% of your training in 6-12 rep range, and the rest, below 6 and higher than 12.

Bear in mind these are just my interpretations, which I'm planning to follow this year.

I'm currently training upper, lower and upper. This gives me two upper body and one lower per week.

wow well explained ! thank you very much.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    hamshor wrote: »

wow well explained ! thank you very much.

You're welcome, here is something to get your teeth into...

https://notehub.org/6cvvk

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would assume that some programs may be more optimal for muscle gain than others (ex. more hypertrophy vs powerlifting based) but in essence, a structured lifting program with progressive overload should take you there. It will also depend on your experience level, your goals, and what you enjoy (if you hate it, you probably won't stick with it and see results).

My favourite and what works for me.. a full body program 3-4x with significant focus on the glutes and legs which is in line with my goals.
  • hamshor
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would assume that some programs may be more optimal for muscle gain than others (ex. more hypertrophy vs powerlifting based) but in essence, a structured lifting program with progressive overload should take you there. It will also depend on your experience level, your goals, and what you enjoy (if you hate it, you probably won't stick with it and see results).

My favourite and what works for me.. a full body program 3-4x with significant focus on the glutes and legs which is in line with my goals.

yes u r right about goals, experience. so do you train the same muscle 4 times a week?
  • sardelsa
    Options

yes u r right about goals, experience. so do you train the same muscle 4 times a week?

Yea pretty much. But each day will be different reps, weight etc.
  • hamshor
    Options

you have a lot of experience
  • sardelsa
    Options

you have a lot of experience

Not really. I have been lifting on and off for about two years (I say "off" because I had a baby in between and while I was still lifting it was very toned down)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Also, if you want to check out different lifting routines, you can have a look at this thread:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • hamshor
    Options
    Also, if you want to check out different lifting routines, you can have a look at this thread:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

thank u very much sardelsa :smile:
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    There is so much out there :) as @sardelsa pointed out (waves to friend!) you need structure and lift according to your goals. I started off with 4x week full body workouts but then eventually progressed to splits. Now I tend to stick to splits - 1 or 2 leg days (one focussing on quads the other on hammies) and then a chest + biceps Day and then a back and triceps day and these days when I have the ability to do a 5th gym day I do purely shoulders and lats because that's what I want to grow more.

There is so much out there, but if you're starting off I agree that full body is the way to go. Get a plan (even if you write it yourself) and stick to it for 6-8 weeks before changing it up. Plus, keep adding weight progressively.

Oh and the basic deadlift squat bench - those should be in there too!

Enjoy!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    There is so much out there :) as @sardelsa pointed out (waves to friend!) you need structure and lift according to your goals. I started off with 4x week full body workouts but then eventually progressed to splits. Now I tend to stick to splits - 1 or 2 leg days (one focussing on quads the other on hammies) and then a chest + biceps Day and then a back and triceps day and these days when I have the ability to do a 5th gym day I do purely shoulders and lats because that's what I want to grow more.

There is so much out there, but if you're starting off I agree that full body is the way to go. Get a plan (even if you write it yourself) and stick to it for 6-8 weeks before changing it up. Plus, keep adding weight progressively.

Enjoy!

I would also add overhead press to that list. It's honestly the biggest thing that made me a fan of 5/3/1. Women in particular always seem to struggle with overhead strength, but man, I saw a woman in my gym a couple of weeks back; she couldn't have weighed more than 115 soaking wet, and was busting off overhead reps with 45s.

I know a lot of guys who couldn't put that percentage of bodyweight overhead for one, even if their lives depended upon it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

Enjoy!

I would also add overhead press to that list. It's honestly the biggest thing that made me a fan of 5/3/1. Women in particular always seem to struggle with overhead strength, but man, I saw a woman in my gym a couple of weeks back; she couldn't have weighed more than 115 soaking wet, and was busting off overhead reps with 45s.

I know a lot of guys who couldn't put that percentage of bodyweight overhead for one, even if their lives depended upon it.

But, that's strength, not building muscle. 5/3/1 is not a muscle building program. If you can bust out OHP with 45's or 10's is insignificant if your goal is building muscle. Lifting for strength and lift ping for building muscle are completely different things.

A body builder would probably do sitting military press, as an example. They aren't after the intrinsic strength you get from OHP.

Oh, I don't care HOW one puts weight overhead, just that it gets done. I have never seen a decent set of shoulders on someone who didn't incorporate overhead work in some form. Can it be done? Probably. I've just never seen an example, in person or otherwise.
  • jwknight67
    jwknight67 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My coach has me starting with volume and as I add weight the volume drops. For Arms and shoulders, I do 2 feeder sets every night before bed, then right to sleep. For my first show, I am 6 months out. Also more importantly, I am eating 4000 calories a day, no cardio for 10 weeks. My Macros are 350 grams protein, 425 Low Glycemic complex carbs, and 100 grams fat.

When Im not lifting, I am resting as much as possible. My current weekly routine is Monday- Legs, Tues-Chest, Wed-Back, Thurs-shoulders, Fri-Arms, Sat-Core/Calves/Forearms

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jwknight67 wrote: »
    My coach has me starting with volume and as I add weight the volume drops. For Arms and shoulders, I do 2 feeder sets every night before bed, then right to sleep. For my first show, I am 6 months out. Also more importantly, I am eating 4000 calories a day, no cardio for 10 weeks. My Macros are 350 grams protein, 425 Low Glycemic complex carbs, and 100 grams fat.

When Im not lifting, I am resting as much as possible. My current weekly routine is Monday- Legs, Tues-Chest, Wed-Back, Thurs-shoulders, Fri-Arms, Sat-Core/Calves/Forearms

How long have you been lifting? Most people would benefit from much greater volume of training. Also, that is an excessive amount of protein.
  • jwknight67
    jwknight67 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

How long have you been lifting? Most people would benefit from much greater volume of training. Also, that is an excessive amount of protein.
    I have lifted on and off for over 20 years, with time off from injuries. The last 4 years, I have fortunately been injury free. Currently I am bulking for significant gains, and also have a mal absorption issue, which requires a bit of over kill on the protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I have lifted on and off for over 20 years, with time off from injuries. The last 4 years, I have fortunately been injury free. Currently I am bulking for significant gains, and also have a mal absorption issue, which requires a bit of over kill on the protein.

Malaborption issues are never fun. Good luck. I am surprised on the routine though, but that may be due to your history of lifting.