8 hour diet

Options
Has anyone tried this diet
What would be the best eating window?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't do diets, but I'm sure the best window is four hours after you get up in the morning to four hours before you go to bed. That way you minimize the amount of time you spend sitting around thinking about not being able to eat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm eating like that but I didn't know it was a "diet". It's just a normal meal schedule, isn't it? Eat breakfast, wait 4 hours, eat lunch, wait 4 hours, eat dinner, not eat again until breakfast?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm eating like that but I didn't know it was a "diet". It's just a normal meal schedule, isn't it? Eat breakfast, wait 4 hours, eat lunch, wait 4 hours, eat dinner, not eat again until breakfast?

I like that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat between about 12:30 am and 10:30 am.

I've never considered that a diet ... I spend that time sleeping, getting ready for work, getting to work, and getting myself settled into my job.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the cheeky responses!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I believe you are thinking of intermittent fasting (IF). There is no best eating window, it's whichever one that fits your schedule best.

This. 16:8IF has an 8 hour eating window and you can choose which 8 hour block works best for you :) My window is 11am-7pm and that works nicely for me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    Thanks for the cheeky responses!

It's just normal eating. Not eating all the time and following some simple rules for eating, naturally reduces the amount of calories you'll be able to ingest. But it's presented as a fad, full of sciency-magicy-sounding woo, to appeal to all those who just aren't into that "eat regular meals, don't snack, base your diet on real, healthy food from all the food groups, get some exercise without overdoing it, and get a good night's sleep every night" hullabaloo.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thankyou I know. Reading all these articles and information I get swayed thinking maybe this method would work.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thankyou I know. Reading all these articles and information I get swayed thinking maybe this method would work.

Meal timing doesn't help or hinder weight loss. Some prefer it as a way to control how much they eat, but it is properly referred to as intermittent fasting. If it helps you, then great. Read up on it and here and you can learn good information about it and then decide if it's right for you. But in then end you lose weight because you eat less calories than you butn. How you get there is a personal choice.

But if it's something you read in a magazine and it has some funky name (and I'd say 8 hour diet qualifies) there is likely little evidence behind it and it won't be particularly helpful.

In the end, you need to learn how to eat for the rest of your life, not just for the time you diet. If you think you can do this as a lifestyle change, then try it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

Meal timing doesn't help or hinder weight loss. Some prefer it as a way to control how much they eat, but it is properly referred to as intermittent fasting. If it helps you, then great. Read up on it and here and you can learn good information about it and then decide if it's right for you. But in then end you lose weight because you eat less calories than you butn. How you get there is a personal choice.

But if it's something you read in a magazine and it has some funky name (and I'd say 8 hour diet qualifies) there is likely little evidence behind it and it won't be particularly helpful.

In the end, you need to learn how to eat for the rest of your life, not just for the time you diet. If you think you can do this as a lifestyle change, then try it.

This. I've done various IF protocols for years now but they're just ways that help me achieve my calorie goals-there's nothing magical about IF in itself :)
  • Exxplora
    Exxplora Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm experimenting with something called Circadian Rhythm fasting. Basically finish eating by sundown, don't eat again for at least 13 hours. Eating window starts thereafter and ends by sundown. Using an app called Zero (iOS) to keep track of my fasting times. We'll see how well this works ... only been a week.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Exxplora wrote: »
    I'm experimenting with something called Circadian Rhythm fasting. Basically finish eating by sundown, don't eat again for at least 13 hours. Eating window starts thereafter and ends by sundown. Using an app called Zero (iOS) to keep track of my fasting times. We'll see how well this works ... only been a week.

That sounds facinating!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 but I naturally skip breakfast and naturally don't like eating late at night.

I have 1200 calories so it works great for me eating a brunch and early dinner. I can have larger portions and it seems to help with controlling the snacking for me.