Disappointed

Options
Just completed my fourth week and I lost 1.6 lbs which makes me slightly disappointed. Those first three weeks I was losing leaps and bounds. It's silly because I know truly I'm still doing well. Worked out 5 times this week, although cardio days were rough going, and met my calorie goals every day. I guess I thought that even if I struggled this week, not fail, I would still get a bigger result. I'm being hard on myself but that's my immediate reaction after weighing myself.

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Weight is a weird creature and weight loss isn't always linear. Water weight retention can make it a bit of a mystery.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Most of the initial weight people lose is water weight, which is why it comes off quicker in the first few weeks. 1.6 pounds is still an amazing number, though!
  • Becarolach
    Becarolach Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hang in ur doing everything u can if losing weight was easy we would all be thin!
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Wily99 wrote: »
    Just completed my fourth week and I lost 1.6 lbs which makes me slightly disappointed. Those first three weeks I was losing leaps and bounds. It's silly because I know truly I'm still doing well. Worked out 5 times this week, although cardio days were rough going, and met my calorie goals every day. I guess I thought that even if I struggled this week, not fail, I would still get a bigger result. I'm being hard on myself but that's my immediate reaction after weighing myself.
    Hi
    If You lost 1.6 pounds in the past week that is a good sustainable loss rate.
    I also agree water weight can cause large fluctuations. I did not worry unless I went over two weeks with no loss FWIW and now I am down 229 pounds and am at the same weight this mornings sale reading as I was on 10/10/2016

Stay Strong
    Roger
  • Wily99
    Wily99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm feeling good after having a couple of hours to think about it.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1.6 pounds in a week? That's REALLY GOOD. I lose an average of 0.6 pounds per week and sometimes none at all or gain a little even.

Sounds like you have unrealistic expectations of how quickly weight can be lost... anything over 1 or 2 pounds per week is actually too fast and is likely water or muscle loss, not fat. You want to lose body fat.

I get very sad when people are having fantastic weight loss and instead of being happy with their progress they are upset that it isn't going more quickly. Weight loss isn't about the fast game. It's about progress over time and consistency and patience.
  • that_coolnerd
    that_coolnerd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A step forward is still a step forward, even if it's a small one. I agree with Courtney though, that's an amazing loss.

To go with a sports cliche, this is a marathon not a sprint. You'll do great, just stay consistent.