How many calories would you estimate for this meal?

Options
I am going for a meal later on and will be eating the meal below. Obviously I know it depends on portion size etc, but I can't give you that information. I want to estimate the calories now so I know what to eat the rest of the day, without too much restriction. I won't be having a starter or a dessert, and no there isn't any meat fish or dairy in the meal. Thanks for any help.

Superfood Salad
Baby spinach, red quinoa, red rice, buckwheat, lentils, barley, spelt, rocket, house dressing, tenderstem broccoli, roasted mushrooms, fennel, kale, garlic & basil marinated Marzanino tomatoes

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Log all those ingredients with an estimated amount. That will be the amount of calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but there is no way to know ahead of time. Grains can be calorie dense, so depending on how much of each is on the salad, just the grains could be 100, 200, 400 cals. The house dressing could be 40 calories of vinaigrette or 150 calories of creamy dressing. The roasted and marinated veggies could have a little oil left or still be soaked with a couple of hundred calories of oil. You can't really estimate until you see the portions.

It sounds yummy though! I always eat light on days I'm going out to eat, and just do my best to moderate my portions and estimate the calories afterwards.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You can't guess a meal
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Log all those ingredients with an estimated amount. That will be the amount of calories.

This, guestimate when you see how big a plateful is. Or try 'superfood salad' in the database.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

grains can be calorie dense. no idea whats in a house dressing (could be heavy in oil or heavy in creamy stuff). oil from the marinated tomatoes.. no idea of serving size on ANY of it.....
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Start at 500 calories.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the dressing alone is a huge wildcard. Especially if it is oil based, a few tablespoons could vary the calories by several hundred.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The majority of calories are going to be the various grains and the dressing. It'll be very hard to estimate until you find out how much quinoa/rice/barley is there, and what is in the dressing and how much. I'm guessing somewhere between 400-800 calories.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    The majority of calories are going to be the various grains and the dressing. It'll be very hard to estimate until you find out how much quinoa/rice/barley is there, and what is in the dressing and how much. I'm guessing somewhere between 400-800 calories.

If on the menu as a full meal dinner salad, I would guess toward the higher end, and possibly more than 800 calories if you finish it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My guess is 700 - 1,000 calories.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna guess around 600 calories.

Will there be a prize for the winner?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I am going for a meal later on and will be eating the meal below. Obviously I know it depends on portion size etc, but I can't give you that information. I want to estimate the calories now so I know what to eat the rest of the day, without too much restriction. I won't be having a starter or a dessert, and no there isn't any meat fish or dairy in the meal. Thanks for any help.

Superfood Salad
    Baby spinach, red quinoa, red rice, buckwheat, lentils, barley, spelt, rocket, house dressing, tenderstem broccoli, roasted mushrooms, fennel, kale, garlic & basil marinated Marzanino tomatoes

One meal over or under isn't going to make much of a difference (if any) when viewed on the overall food profile over the entire week.

Don't stress it. Eat the salad, log whatever # of calories you feel is appropriate or don't log it at all. It's only one meal. Enjoy it!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Superfood Salad
    Baby spinach, red quinoa, red rice, buckwheat, lentils, barley, spelt, rocket, house dressing, tenderstem broccoli, roasted mushrooms, fennel, kale, garlic & basil marinated Marzanino tomatoes[/quote]

Baby spinach = 0
    Broccoli = 0
    mushrooms = 0
    marzanio tomatoes = not sure.
    barley =0
    rice - 150 calories per 40g. so they prob will give you 2 - 3 servicings 450 calories
    red quinoa contains 170 calories
    1 cup of lentals = 230 kcal

i would say almost 500 calories

• snickerscharlie
    edited January 2017
    Options

Superfood Salad

One meal over or under isn't going to make much of a difference (if any) when viewed on the overall food profile over the entire week.

Don't stress it. Eat the salad, log whatever # of calories you feel is appropriate or don't log it at all. It's only one meal. Enjoy it!

If I was having a meal to enjoy and not worry about calories, it certainly wouldn't be a superfood salad!!! :laugh:

I agree!

Thing is a lot of these salads - even though they seem like such a 'healthy' option - are actually surprisingly caloric once you factor everything in, especially the dressing.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Superfood Salad

If I was having a meal to enjoy and not worry about calories, it certainly wouldn't be a superfood salad!!! :laugh:

I agree!

Thing is a lot of these salads - even though they seem like such a 'healthy' option - are actually surprisingly caloric once you factor everything in, especially the dressing.

It's the only thing on the menu I can eat, my choices are limited
  • snickerscharlie
    edited January 2017
    Options

Superfood Salad

I agree!

It's the only thing on the menu I can eat

Then just go, eat, estimate the calories and log them (or not) and move on. :)

The point is, it's only one meal and won't make enough of a difference if you're over or under your goal by a few hundred calories one way or the other for that particular meal on this particular day. :)
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    even when they put calories on the menu its a crap shoot .. different size servings , more of this less of that ,, i have been using a good ball park for me and going with it ,, no weight loss ,, change ball park figure

good luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Superfood Salad

I agree!

It's the only thing on the menu I can eat, my choices are limited

Because of allergies?