Survey for DOG owners (runners)

Options
AZTrailRunner
AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
I'm opening another dog training school here in Phoenix, and have been thinking about having a few free programs such as a K9 Hiker's Club, and possibly a K9 Runner's Club.

The survey is this:
If you are a runner and own a dog, would this be appealing to you?
Have you been involved with one elsewhere? If so, was it pleasant?

Obviously, as a trainer I would sort out the behavioral issues associated with such a program, I'm really trying to find out if there is any interest before putting any effort into it.

Any other thoughts on this topic are greatly appreciated. I don't want to offer this until I've tried punching holes in it.

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It sounds wonderful to me. May I bring our dog for you to train for that?
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think the Hikers club would be awesome. I wish we had one of those in Colorado because I would so do that! The running one is good, but I actually think you would do better with a hiking club because you can then get more people involved and the problem with runners is everyone runs at different paces.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Why would you do it for free? Sounds like something I would pay for!
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    are you hiring? I'd totally work doing that! (professional dog walker of 4 years here!).

survey answers:
    I run sometimes when the mood strikes or the cops are chasing me, I own a dog and it sounds like fun!
    I haven't been involved with one anywhere else unless you consider my dog yanking me along to go sniff another dog's butt one, then yes...I have...A LOT.

I think that it's a great idea. There are a lot of active people out there who really want to involve their animals (don't get me started on cats on a leash) and I think it's worth exploring further for sure. I'll try to think of more things for you when i'm not on day 2 of a brutal hangover!
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Why would you do it for free? Sounds like something I would pay for!

Honestly, I wouldn't pay for it, but I would evaluate you during the hike and if I like you as a trainer then I would hire you.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Sounds awesome!!!! Wish I had something like that in my area...

I take my dog with me when I run, and it definitely falls under the HIIT category. One minute he's sprinting, the next he's sniffing some bush, then the next he's trotting along like a regal pooch.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    It would be free since I wouldn't be in "trainer" mode during the activity, and also as a marketing tactic --- you bring them in with free enticements, and they stay for the paid stuff (retail, training, etc.).
  • desertrosepaint
    desertrosepaint Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You should come back to Boise and start one! I always run with my dog and wish we had something like that here! Seriously! Even if it's like once a month! Come to Boise!!! There would be soooo many people here that would participate!

As for which group, personally I would rather do the runner's one but as for the number of participants you might have more people with a hiking group. But no joke! Come to Boise!! =]]
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    You should come back to Boise and start one! I always run with my dog and wish we had something like that here! Seriously! Even if it's like once a month! Come to Boise!!! There would be soooo many people here that would participate!

As for which group, personally I would rather do the runner's one but as for the number of participants you might have more people with a hiking group. But no joke! Come to Boise!! =]]

We almost opened a dog daycare/ boarding facility in Boise before we decided to come back to Phoenix. Better profits in Phoenix. :wink:
  • LStrouth8
    LStrouth8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds great! I used to take my dog hiking all the time.. Now that I have a new puppy I'm waiting for her to get a little bigger before we hit the trails.
  • Brandei
    Brandei Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Too funny, I'm getting a puppy soon (still too small to take from mama), and I was thinking about this!
    Wish you were in S. CA