Anyone else have heart problems and trying to lose weight?

Options
My heart doctor suggested I try to connect with others who have heart problems and are also trying to lose weight or who have lost weight. My name is Alicia, I'm 33 years old 5'3 and weigh 185 pounds. I have Afib, mitral valve prolapse and something else funky going on that we haven't figured out yet lol. I also have Crohns.

My goal is to lose 45 pounds by the end of this year. I was on exercise restrictions the past year and was put on a new Crohns medication as well which resulted in a 35 pound weight gain.

My current form of exercise that I'm cleared to do is walking at a moderate/brisk pace a half hour at a time. So I do 2 30 min sessions a day 7 days a week.

Once I lose 20 pounds and don't have any issues with my heart during that time I will be cleared to start running again and strength training.

Would like to make some friends who are in the same situation as I'm in.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The good news is you don't need exercise to lose weight. Weight loss comes down to calorie deficit (eating less than you burn).

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I'd been having more heart palpitations while at rest, which my doctor thinks could be related to being anemic. I wore a monitor for two weeks, just sent it back last week, and am interested in the results. My doctor is especially optimistic because my arrhythmia is not activity-induced.

As soon as I found out I was out of Low Normal and back into Anemic, I doubled my supplement and increased dietary sources of iron, and have been getting the palpitations less.

I just learned about the anemia - heart palpitation connection last month and wanted to spread the word.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'd been having more heart palpitations while at rest, which my doctor thinks could be related to being anemic. I wore a monitor for two weeks, just sent it back last week, and am interested in the results. My doctor is especially optimistic because my arrhythmia is not activity-induced.

As soon as I found out I was out of Low Normal and back into Anemic, I doubled my supplement and increased dietary sources of iron, and have been getting the palpitations less.

I just learned about the anemia - heart palpitation connection last month and wanted to spread the word.

Oh yeah I was anemic with all of my pregnancies and experienced more palpitations than normal.

I was diagnosed with Mitral valve prolapse when I was 15. I had the occasional heart palpitations but never let it bother me. But about a year in a half ago the heart palpitations changed followed by pain in my chest, left shoulder and left jaw. I ignored it for awhile until I passed out one day. Husband called the squad and on the way to the ER the ecg was showing my heart was in Afib. By the time I got to the ER it went back to normal so they assumed it was just a weird instance. Kept me for 24 hour observation ran more tests and then sent me home. I've worn the 48 hour monitors and wore a 3 week event monitor. It wasn't until then that it showed my heart went into svt (heart rate of 200) and then would go in and out of Afib. I'm suppose to have a ablation done that may fix the Afib but good ole insurance won't pay for the procedure because of my age!!! I have to be 35 before it will pay for it. It's stupid.

But I do get palpitations when I'm exercising which I've had a couple stress tests and a nuclear stress test that all came back fine.

So he finally cleared me.
  • lucid_wings
    lucid_wings Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have unstabilized SVT, (among other non heart issues) it certainly makes a difference in what you have to pay attention to!
  • alid8333
    Options
    I have unstabilized SVT, (among other non heart issues) it certainly makes a difference in what you have to pay attention to!

What kind of SVT. I have 2 lol. The Afib and then out of no where my heart will shoot up to 200 bpm. They said I must have an extra electrical pathway and that's what causes the extreme high heart rate because when it happens I have a normal heart rhythm.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was born with ToF I've had 3 open heart surgeries I don't/ can't exercise but I've lost 30-35 pounds in the last year with 20 of those pounds just since November 1st just from cracking down and counting calories strictly I have 37lbs left till my goal weight and till I'm finally in a the healthy bmi range
    Please feel free to add me I would love to connect to more people with heart troubles and trying to lose weight
  • alid8333
    Options
    kksmom1789 wrote: »
    I was born with ToF I've had 3 open heart surgeries I don't/ can't exercise but I've lost 30-35 pounds in the last year with 20 of those pounds just since November 1st just from cracking down and counting calories strictly I have 37lbs left till my goal weight and till I'm finally in a the healthy bmi range
    Please feel free to add me I would love to connect to more people with heart troubles and trying to lose weight

Wow that is awesome! I try not to beat myself up on the level of exercise I'm allowed to do. I know it can all be done on just diet alone.

But congrats on your weight loss!!
  • lucid_wings
    Options
    alid8333 wrote: »

What kind of SVT. I have 2 lol. The Afib and then out of no where my heart will shoot up to 200 bpm. They said I must have an extra electrical pathway and that's what causes the extreme high heart rate because when it happens I have a normal heart rhythm.

Mine originates in my atrials, they were able to catch it while I was getting fitted with a Holter monitor at the hospital (talk about convenient lol). I still need to go to the electrophysiologist to have my heart mapped, but they think I should benefit from ablation. I don't have any specific, isolated triggers, but when it goes off it's upwards of the 260 range. I can usually get it to revert with a Valsalva maneuver, but have had to go to the ER and be given adenosine before. I've found that I have to be really careful with my diet, hydration, supplements, sleep, and levels of activity or I end up having them all the time.
  • alid8333
    Options

Mine originates in my atrials, they were able to catch it while I was getting fitted with a Holter monitor at the hospital (talk about convenient lol). I still need to go to the electrophysiologist to have my heart mapped, but they think I should benefit from ablation. I don't have any specific, isolated triggers, but when it goes off it's upwards of the 260 range. I can usually get it to revert with a Valsalva maneuver, but have had to go to the ER and be given adenosine before. I've found that I have to be really careful with my diet, hydration, supplements, sleep, and levels of activity or I end up having them all the time.

Yeah stress triggers mine. It's definitely a horrible feeling. I was running on the treadmill at the gym one day and I had an episode. My heart rate was already like 150 and it shot up to 275! That was probably the worst one I've ever had. I couldn't get it to come down even after trying the VM. After about 30 min I finally got it to come down and went straight to my docs office who then did a ecg and everything was fine. I really felt like I was going to die. That was when my doc put me on restrictions until we figured out what was wrong.

Then we discovered I have Afib along with whatever else is causing the other SVT. I'm suppose to have the EP study done to pace my heart and get it to go into the one form of SVT to see where it's coming from and then have an ablation. Then put me to sleep pace my heart again to get it to go into Afib and do another ablation. I'm a mess lol

• alid8333
    Options

I have a ecg monitor at home that I'm suppose to use when I exercise so it can pick up what's going on. But it's so hard to workout with wires attached to you.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds over 9 months so far. I have a really bad heart from an infection, Iv had 2 surgeries and a stroke. Just eat less and walk for me. Im scared to do more but it seem i don't need to :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What crohn's med? Just interested (I have Crohn's).
  • alid8333
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I lost 80 pounds over 9 months so far. I have a really bad heart from an infection, Iv had 2 surgeries and a stroke. Just eat less and walk for me. Im scared to do more but it seem i don't need to :)

Congrats on the weight loss!!

A stroke! That had to be extremely scary! That's my fear with the Afib is my risk of stroke. I'm suppose to take blood thinners but my stomach doc doesn't want me on them as it can do more harm with me having Crohns
  • alid8333
    Options

I'm on Remicade.

• lucid_wings
    Options
    It's scary when it happens! Ive been lucky that it hasnt happened at the gym, but sometimes I've had those flutters that feel like it's going to and get really light headed. I didnt really like wearing the monitors either, the wires and stickets are irritating to my skin. The worst though is it happening when I'm driving!

At least they have a plan for treatment for you! Hopefully they will be able fix things with the ablations! This year we should have the $ for me to take care of things more, so there is that. :)
  • alid8333
    Options
    It's scary when it happens! Ive been lucky that it hasnt happened at the gym, but sometimes I've had those flutters that feel like it's going to and get really light headed. I didnt really like wearing the monitors either, the wires and stickets are irritating to my skin. The worst though is it happening when I'm driving!

At least they have a plan for treatment for you! Hopefully they will be able fix things with the ablations! This year we should have the $ for me to take care of things more, so there is that. :)

The electrodes literally eat my skin lol. I can't have anything done for 2 more years because my insurance won't pay for the procedure because of my age. I have to be 35. It's ridiculous.
  • lucid_wings
    Options
    That is ridiculous! But sadly, not surprising. I started having problems and warning signs in my early 20s, they told me I was "internalizing" stress. It wasn't until I was 28 and 8 months pregnant when I went into a full blown svt and needed adenosine that they said, oh, I guess it wasn't stress! I know that sometimes Dr.s can send in appeals if they feel it necessary to get it covered.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I'm on Remicade.

OK me too. I gained 20lbs but I was 20 underweight so it was needed. I've been on it 2 years now. it saved my life. Probably switching to something else soon though.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have occasional SVT and doctor prescribed Carvedilol. It works well but I'm having a hard time losing weight. I also have hypothyroidism so I would imagine that contributes to the weight challenge as well!