Wanting to workout but.... I'm SICK!!

Options
KimmalyS
KimmalyS Posts: 131 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
i was sick with the flu -and now a possible sinus infection. I have not worked out for a week and have been binge watching on Netflix. Eating popsicles and m&ms on some nights. I want to go back to the gym but I don't want to get any sicker. Ahhhhh!!! I'm lazy as ever and feeling so guilty- keep thinking of how difficult my first few days will be once I get back into the gym. Also- summer is around the corner and I'm nowhere close to where I want to be!!

Go to the gym or wait it out?? Many people have suggested to just go back in and "sweat it out" but to me that just doesn't make any sense. I feel like you'd only be sabotaging yourself and would get more sick.

Also- who'd want to work out next to some sicko?

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Stay home until you feel better. If you feel up to it, go for a walk or run outside in your neighborhood.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree to not go back to the gym yet. However that's for others benefit not yours. I'm currently sick with a cold which has moved into my chest a bit and I haven't missed a day of exercise yet (I workout at home). I find it helps open up my airways and give me that boost of energy that being sick drains from me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    When I had a cold/sinus infection the only time I felt better and could breathe was when I was working out. It would heat up my body, work up a little sweat, and clear my head and I could actually breathe. I just went at a lower intensity (only walked on treadmill instead of running, low impact aerobics instead of high.) Now when I had the flu, I had a cough and could not workout. Anything more than casual walking would cause more coughing. It took a while to get back into shape. I would even cough trying to go back to lifting a week later, and could not catch my breath.
    Give yourself a break. Your body needs rest to recover.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I'm just now getting back on the wagon after a week of the stomach flu. Yes, it sucked being inactive for 6 days, but our bodies need rest to get over an infection.

And please, do not go back to the gym if you're still contagious. You already know how frustrating it can be to get sick when you're trying to stick to a workout routine, so why risk putting someone else through the same thing?
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Stay home and take care of yourself! Drink a TON of liquids. Drink until you can't stand it anymore, then drink some more. "Sweat it out" is a complete myth. Believe me please. I'm an immunologist. What you do need is lots and LOTS of fluids so you don't get dehydrated. Make sure you drink something other than pure water at least some of the time, to keep your electrolytes in balance. Drink herbal tea, chicken soup, ginger ale, etc.

Great idea to move a little bit, to move that lymph around and not feel so stiff.
    But do it at home, and don't go to the gym and get everyone else sick. That's not nice.
    There are a MILLION low impact workouts on youtube. I like "Fitness Blender." Try it!
    Feel better. :smile:
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Please don't bring your germs to the gym. Tyvm.