Bad tasting, healthy food.

Options
15678911»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »
    I am not sure what you consider to be "healthy" food, processed foods of any kind is not "healthy."

Others have pointed out that there are many "processed" foods which in fact are nutrient dense.

I'm curious how specifically you think processed foods, even ultraprocessed foods, are unhealthy? Meaning that in any quantity, they actively hinder a pursuit of health? How do Oreos, or potato chips, or the beloved #easymac prevent an individual from achieving a state of overall health?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Speaking of chocolate, did anyone get it as holiday gift?

I got this variety box. It's really hard to stop at 4th piece.

4761187.attach

Yes. The trick is to keep the unopened ones sealed and out of sight and reseal the opened and move them into some inconvenient location like under other boxes of stuff or something. The more inconvenient it is to get something the easier it is to moderate it. I'm still eating the chocolate my sister brought in November.
    kihcvatf5eoh.jpg
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm reading too much into this, but a lot of people here seem to think that skinnier automatically = healthier.

For me it definitely means that and I have years of hard data that shows this :) My glucose number is directly tied to my weight. When I was overweight I was a prediabetic but as I lost weight the number trended downward. Didn't matter what I was eating though. Now I'm in maintenance and keeping my bmi in the 20-21 range keeps my glucose number in the 80s and 90s. I go in for blood work twice a year and the labs consistently show this. A nice side affect is that the lower weight also produces great cholesterol numbers and a nice blood pressure as well (the nurse always compliments me after she takes it lol).

And I was healthier at 230 than I ever was at any higher OR lower weight because I exercised more and ate very purposefully (only whole, fresh foods that added nutritional value to my day, and mostly vegetables).
    zyxst wrote: »
    Also, like, I don't know about anyone else, but whole foods, like fruits, veggies, whole grains, and fresh chicken/fish/eggs fill me up better and for longer than processed or fast foods, so I actually enjoy eating less because I'm not constantly starving.

That would fill me up as well, but my mental health would be taking a dive. I don't have great mental health to begin with and by cutting out my "fast food/junk foods/convenience foods/whatever you call them", I get depressed, anxious, and start trekking down the road of an ED. I would also be angry and lash out at people for no reason.

And I'm not talking about an all "fast food/junk foods/convenience foods/whatever you call them" diet either (depends on how you feel about canned/frozen fruits, veggies, and meats). I eat "whole foods", too, but I also have sweets.

Like I said, this works for me, mostly because my mental health suffers if I'm constantly starving. Also, I use a lot of frozen veggies, because they retain more nutrients, they're not all drowned in salt, these days (you can get no-salt ones), and they don't go bad as quickly.