Strengthen leg ideas/advice

Options
Hi,
I started a New Years Resolutions which is Walk1000Miles. I have been doing 2.74miles a day. My right lower leg is aching alot, can't walk on it properly. My right knee is also hurting which I have dislocated 5 times before. Can anyone reccomend anything to help?

Replies

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    What about knee supports?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How active were you before this? It could be a case of too much too soon if you were very much out of shape.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a physio
  • Tgmcmonigle
    Tgmcmonigle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How active were you before this? It could be a case of too much too soon if you were very much out of shape.

Good point here. If you weren't active before, back off to ~1 mile a day until you get better, then gradually add distance to your walks. It won't be long until you're doing 5 miles a day easily. Also, take a good look at your shoes. Good shoes make all the difference when walking or running.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Good point here. If you weren't active before, back off to ~1 mile a day until you get better, then gradually add distance to your walks. It won't be long until you're doing 5 miles a day easily. Also, take a good look at your shoes. Good shoes make all the difference when walking or running.

This. I started out walking with a cane and was walking 5 miles a day within a year. And I took it slowly and let it build because I needed to.

Take your time. It will happen.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Shoes, what type of terrain you walk on and check to see if any of those dislocations causes a menicus/ligament injury that resulted in scar tissue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Possibly your shoes?

I've just seen a physio for a knee I damaged 7 months ago (the wheels of the NHS turn slowly) and she said that the damage I've done is being made worse because my foot is rolling inwards. This is causing pain in my ankle, calf, knee and will affect my upper leg/pelvis/back if not corrected. So I have to wear supportive shoes and decent insoles until I can see the orthotics people. I also have toe exercises to do which are interesting!