Whey Protein

Options
Is it okay to mix whey protein with soy milk instead of water?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    You can mix it with anything! I put it in chocolate milk to drink and use it to bake.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. You can use almond milk, water, whatever you like. Feel free to add berries and / or banana. Even some fresh greens. They provide tons of benefits, like fiber, vitamins, minerals and very low calories.
  • spiralvox
    spiralvox Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    if you look on bodybuilding.com there are even recpies you can use it in
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks!
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I make my own homemade Whey protein with a gallon of milk. Not buying processed and unnatural overpriced crap.
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    I make my own homemade Whey protein with a gallon of milk. Not buying processed and unnatural overpriced crap.

You make you own whey protein? or do you just mean your own milkshakes etc? if it's the prior how? lol
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Just curious how you do this and how much you get from a gallon of milk.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

How on earth do you do this?
  • nomorepuke
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I make my own greek yogurt too. My bf loves fresh homemade mozzarella cheese, I make it at home. In the process of making mozzarella cheese or Greek yogurt, the milk produces Whey protein. I get a half gallon Whey fresh protein out of one gallon milk. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube how to make fresh mozzarella.
  • nomorepuke
    Options

You make you own whey protein? or do you just mean your own milkshakes etc? if it's the prior how? lol

I like your sarcasm! No I don't make milkshakes. I make fresh Whey protein.

• nomorepuke
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Whole milk contains 3.3% total protein. Milk proteins contain all 9 essential amino acids required by humans. Milk proteins are synthesized in the mammary gland, but 60% of the amino acids used to build the proteins are obtained from the cow's diet. Total milk protein content and amino acid composition varies with cow breed and individual animal genetics.
    There are 2 major categories of milk protein that are broadly defined by their chemical composition and physical properties. The casein family contains phosphorus and will coagulate or precipitate at pH 4.6. The serum (whey) proteins do not contain phosphorus, and these proteins remain in solution in milk at pH 4.6. The principle of coagulation, or curd formation, at reduced pH is the basis for cheese curd formation. In cow's milk, approximately 82% of milk protein is casein and the remaining 18% is serum, or whey protein.
    Once rennet enters the whole milk, serum separates from remaining 82% of casein which can be formed as either yogurt or mozzarella cheese, depending on what you used to separate the bodies
    Simple chemistry eh?
    Doesn't sound like a milkshake, does it?
  • cathipa
    Options
    Making whey for cheese is not the same as powdered whey.
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I don't have to have it powered. By all means,if you prefer powdered, use whatever is best for you. You asked how to make whey, I provided the info.
    FYI, I'm sure you can do your research on how to powder your fresh whey.
  • nomorepuke
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I just explained the chemistry. You're not making Whey for cheese. It has nothing to do with making cheese. It's all about separating the Whey from casein.
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    It's a simple chemistry that everyone studies in high school.
  • cathipa
    Options
    I don't have to have it powered. By all means,if you prefer powdered, use whatever is best for you. You asked how to make whey, I provided the info.

Not worth the time or money it would cost to do it.
  • nomorepuke
    Options

Not worth the time or money it would cost to do it.

Sure! Everyone has their own preferences. Nothing wrong with that. I choose to use something that's natural and no additional unnatural chemicals added