Trying to lose approx. 50lbs

Options
Hello, I'm Cheyenne!
I started my weight loss journey last week on 01/16/2017 when my Aunt onvited me to a challenge to lose 15lbs by March 15.
So far, It's been 6 days since my last weigh in at 217.4 lbs. This morning I weighed in at 211.8 lbs.
According to my BMI chart, for my height I should be in the 101.2 lbs - 136.7 lbs range. I'm a little iffy on the range, mostly because I have always had a naturally muscular build.
I was wondering if anyone might be willing to give me some advice on fitness activities and weight loss.
I could also use some friendly competition, preferably with people in/around my area.
What are some of your goals?

Replies

• ogrime
    ogrime Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cardio is your best friend.
  • loobe1066
    loobe1066 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    All I do is eat less and move more. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    This is not fitness advice, but my weight loss goal was similar to yours and I thought I would share what worked for me. I just lost 50 pounds from July to now. It was easier than I thought. I have not consistently exercised. I logged calories daily and followed exactly what this site said to eat calorie wise until I decided to take a little break for about two weeks at Christmas time (gained and then lost back a few pounds - maybe water gain). MFP started me at around 1400 calories and then cut it back to 1240 when I lost the first bit of weight. This works IF you log everything you eat and drink and stick to it. I am honestly shocked at how easy it has been. I weighed 193 in July and 142.6 this morning. I was buying size 14 in July and just bought a couple of pairs of size 6 pants yesterday. Now I think I would be in much better shape if I kept up with exercise and cardio. Things are not as firm as they used to be. But I am quite busy with kids, full time job, and full time graduate school. When I am done with my school in a couple of months I will try to fit that in. I am a true believer in just following the calories set by MFP and not saying any foods are off limit. I still have chocolate every day and other things when I want. I just make sure to fit it in the daily budget. I never would have believed six months ago that I could actually lose this weight just by following a free calorie tracking program. My best advice is to input your information, set your goal for losing one or 1 1/2 pounds a week, and follow the calorie limits MFP tells you. Buying a digital food scale and weighing everything is very helpful too. I bought a great one at Target for around $20. Before logging calories I thought I had to exercise to lose weight. Not true. I do think it is much better for you to exercise while logging though, or just in general.
  • hagarizora
    hagarizora Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ogrime wrote: »
    Cardio is your best friend.

What kind of cardio do you recommend?

• hagarizora
    Options
    loobe1066 wrote: »
    All I do is eat less and move more. Good luck with your weight loss.

Thank you!

• hagarizora
    Options
    ...MFP started me at around 1400 calories and then cut it back to 1240 when I lost the first bit of weight. This works IF you log everything you eat and drink and stick to it....

...Now I think I would be in much better shape if I kept up with exercise and cardio. Things are not as firm as they used to be. But I am quite busy with kids, full time job, and full time graduate school. When I am done with my school in a couple of months I will try to fit that in...

...I am a true believer in just following the calories set by MFP and not saying any foods are off limit. I still have chocolate every day and other things when I want. I just make sure to fit it in the daily budget...

...My best advice is to input your information, set your goal for losing one or 1 1/2 pounds a week, and follow the calorie limits MFP tells you. Buying a digital food scale and weighing everything is very helpful too. I bought a great one at Target for around $20

Right now MFP has me at 1370 calories/day, it's been a little challenging as I'll admit, I've always considered myself a bit of a foodie. As long as I do a walk of approximately 30 minutes though, I can easily earn an extra ~180.

I'm struggling between part time school, part time job, and part time kids at the moment, so I hear you there! Firming up I think is going to be the biggest challenge.

I honestly didn't think of buying a digital food scale, that's great advice!

Thank you the insight, I greatly appreciate it! Also, congratulations on your goals! :)