My full message didn't show
  • lisabobczuk
    lisabobczuk Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My messages are playing funny buggers
  • lisabobczuk
    Options
    You don't learn this information at weight loss club!
    This is where I've been going wrong all these years!
    You are all very helpful!!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I read that per 100g the sugars are best to be below 5.0g! am I correct in saying this?
    I actually am a chef by trade.
    I have been doing my research and noticed that they say a breakfast high in protein is best to keep you fuller for longer.
    I guess I just want a nod to say I'm doing this right.
    I'm nearly 42 and sick to the back teeth of being overweight and just desperately want to get rid of this excess.
    This can vary greatly by the individual. Some people find protein to be satiating, others find carbs do the trick, while still others favour fats. You'll really just have to experiment to discover what works best for you.

And to throw another monkey wrench in (LOL) eating breakfast isn't even required. That old, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," thing has been de-bunked. If, like me, you aren't hungry first thing in the morning, there's nothing wrong with skipping breakfast and saving those calories for later on in the day when you actually are hungry. Forcing yourself to eat when you aren't even hungry is counterintuitive and counterproductive. ;)

It will take some trial-and-error on your part to find the pieces of the puzzle that work best for you. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to weight management. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    You don't learn this information at weight loss club!
    Of course not! How would they earn their money if you already knew all you needed to know? :#

^^^ So. Much. This. :)
  • lisabobczuk
    Options
    Do you know, I'm never hungry till around 11am.
    But I thought I was doing wrong not eating.
    I would much prefer to eat when I am actually hungry.
    So this is ok?
  • snickerscharlie
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So this is ok?

It's perfectly okay. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    For example, I only have my coffee (because coffee!) in the morning along with my vitamin. I generally do not get hungry until around noon, at which time I'll eat lunch.

This leaves me plenty of room for a snack in the afternoon, a good dinner, and then a few evening treats as well. Those after dinner snacks are important to me, so eliminating breakfast keeps me in a caloric deficit while allowing me to eat at the times that I really want to.

Again, this is just personal preference. Much trial-and-error went into figuring out what works best for me. :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So this is ok?

Oh, absolutely! I don't eat until 3:00 in the afternoon because that's around when I get hungry
    . I drink this brewing chocolate in the morning and that holds me over until then.

Before, when I used to think I had to eat breakfast, I was hungry all day. Now? I just eat at 3:00, then dinner, then a big dessert/snack.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    So this is ok?

I make a smoothie in the AM and leave it in the frig until I am actually hungry.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Wow when you put it like that, that is unbelievable! What a waste of calories!!!
    That is a really good guideline to go by and Thankyou I really appreciate your input.
    I'm going to go cold turkey and not have sugar in my tea for starters.

If cold turkey works for you, that's great. Personally, I tapered down. Now I'm using 1/2 teaspoon per teabag. And I use extra water in my tea so that 1/2 goes farther.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So this is ok?

I make a smoothie in the AM and leave it in the frig until I am actually hungry.

Here's another good example of different strokes for different folks.

I've never found liquids to be satiating. I actually have to chew something in order to feel like I'm getting fed. So I find that for me it's better to eat my calories than drink them. :)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Hi.
    I have no dietary requirements or preferences.
    I guess I'm looking at the best options that aren't laden with sugar.
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    I have about 45lb to lose and I'm very wobbly if you know what I mean :-) carry a lot of weight on my middle and legs.

It would help if we saw what you are currently eating and could then give you suggestions on how to reduce the sugar. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • snickerscharlie
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP, what might be helpful would be to spend the first few weeks simply logging (and weighing) everything you normally eat to give you a realistic baseline, and give you time to get up to speed on logging accurately. As a chef, I'd imagine you are familiar with a food scale. If not, it's an inexpensive purchase that I highly recommend. :)

I did this for the first two weeks when I started, and it was an eye-opener! It was a bit of a shock to actually see what I normally ate in a day, as well as the caloric 'cost' of some of my favourite food and beverage choices.

From that point, it was actually fairly easy for me to implement small, incremental and sustainable changes to not only what I ate, but how much of it I ate.

The end result for me was that I managed to lose 75 lbs in a year and reach my goal weight. And I can honestly say that I never once felt deprived or truly hungry, nor did I have to totally give up any of the foods I love. :)

• lisabobczuk
    Options
    I'm going to give your approach a go.
    Like you, I'd much prefer to save my calories for when I'm actually hungry and a few more to play with.
    It's as I've got older I feel I don't need breakfast, or just can't stomach it.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm going to give your approach a go.
    Like you, I'd much prefer to save my calories for when I'm actually hungry and a few more to play with.
    It's as I've got older I feel I don't need breakfast, or just can't stomach it.

I've never been hungry at breakfast for as far back as I can remember. And as an adult, I still ate breakfast more out of habit than anything else.

Even as a child, my mom would have to insist I eat breakfast, because if left to my own devices I wouldn't have. Granted, a growing child's caloric needs are quite different than that of an adult, so breakfast may have been important for me to have back then.

But it took me years as an adult to figure out how counterproductive it was for me to continue to eat a meal each day that I didn't actually want or need.
  • queencoombs
    queencoombs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have a little look on Pinterest! Some great recipes on there!!
  • lisabobczuk
    Options
    Have a little look on Pinterest! Some great recipes on there!!

Thankyou