Defeated

Options
Hi All,

About a year and a half ago, I lost about 45 pounds through diet and exercise. I felt amazing! Then, I developed plantar fasciitis which limited exercise and a family member got sick and before I knew it, I gained everything but 10 pounds back. I'm good at getting in exercise that my foot can handle, but I've lost complete control with my food. I'm so discouraged and every time I think of losing the weight all over again, it feels overwhelming and useless. I truly believed I would never see this number on the scale again....

Anyone else been here???

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Unfortunately you can't go back in time and change what has been done so let MFP figure out your calories, make sure you weigh and measure your food and log every day. You'll get there again. :)
  • cczarniecki
    cczarniecki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think most of us have been there...and back again and again. I also have a physical limitation and many exercises are either impossible or difficult. I joined a Y (and my insurances pays a little towards it; or they will even subsidize if needed) and do aerobics in a pool. Easier on my leg, but not a piece of...well rice cake. I can also bike and use a rowing machine. I'm not breaking any world records but I'm moving as best I can. Along with logging my food (ugh it is tedious!) and doing meal planning I am hopeful. Less weight, as I am sure you know, can take a lot of strain off of hurt areas of our bodies. Please don't give up! A mantra? I would rather be my ideal weight than to have that - - - - (fill in the blank). We are powerful women and men and can take control of our life. You can do this!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: Even with the 10 lb gain, you still weigh 35 lbs less than you did a year and a half ago. And the fact that you were able to lose 45 the first time means you know exactly what to do and how to do it this time around. Losing 10 lbs is a breeze compared to losing 45. ;)
  • runlikeagirl1985
    runlikeagirl1985 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! This is how my downward spiral started too! I had lost all my university weight...then came visits home, a friends wedding and a big move for work...soon I was up the 30lb I had lost......then I got plantar fasciitis in both feet and couldn't work out for a long time, add in depression and I skyrocketed from 190 to 270 in four years. I am just now getting a hold on everything and although I am running again and can keep the plantar fasciitis at bay it is still a tough process. You can do it!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Kmywalker3 wrote: »
    Hi All,

About a year and a half ago, I lost about 45 pounds through diet and exercise. I felt amazing! Then, I developed plantar fasciitis which limited exercise and a family member got sick and before I knew it, I gained everything but 10 pounds back. I'm good at getting in exercise that my foot can handle, but I've lost complete control with my food. I'm so discouraged and every time I think of losing the weight all over again, it feels overwhelming and useless. I truly believed I would never see this number on the scale again....

Anyone else been here???

Sorry to hear, but you know how to do it.. You have a great plan. just do it again.
    As for as food. If you don't buy it then you can't eat it.
    The other thing you can do, it put the food into object and right down the calories on the containers.

You can do it.. you did it once.. why can't you can't you do it again?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Yup, been there a few times. 70 lost, 70 found. I was say take it really slow, like .5 to 1 pound a week and learn great habits you can live with along the way. Don't white knuckle it with a huge deficit. I too have PF, but still walk and swim.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    BTDT. The hardest part of losing weight, is keeping it off. That is especially true if you lost the weight by a drastic change in eating habits. It is too easy to slip back into the ways of eating that got you fat in the first place.

You know what you need to do to lose the weight again. You also know that you can do it. Hopefully you learned something about how not to maintain your weight loss so you won't regain it next time.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/IqmfR82yZT8
    Hope it helps, it helped me. Best of luck, you can do this!
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel defeated. Weight loss and weight gain are natural processes. Everyone experiences them. You have the ability to affect a change anytime you want - you just have to do the program - track your foods, adopt a reasonable calorie deficit and maybe get a little activity in each day.

You can so do this!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Another who's BTDT! I lost 50lbs a few years ago by using MFP. Then I went to "I want to see if I can keep losing without logging." I could and did.. but then I didn't. Not logging kept me from being accountable and, eventually, I started falling back into old habits. Add in some personal stressors, financial issues and I was back up 30lbs from where I'd dropped to.

BUT!!

Because I did lose that 50lbs before? I know dang well I can do it again so here I am, doing it again. I'm going to get down to my goal weight this time and if I have to keep logging forever to maintain, so be it.
  • dizzysarah
    dizzysarah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Back in 2012 I lost over 100 pounds. I've since gained back 90 that's why I'm here. I can't believe I let it happen, but I did, so here's to getting on plan and staying on plan and when we slip getting straight back on plan.

When I lost my weight I did it in a fast unhealthy way. Getting used to this losing just a pound a week is taking some getting used to.

We can all do this :)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: Even with the 10 lb gain, you still weigh 35 lbs less than you did a year and a half ago. And the fact that you were able to lose 45 the first time means you know exactly what to do and how to do it this time around. Losing 10 lbs is a breeze compared to losing 45. ;)

reread her post...she gained everything EXCEPT 10 lbs back.
  • zclfe56
    zclfe56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. Last year I lost 75lbs between February and September. As soon as I hit my goal in September I instantly stopped logging and stopped weighing myself which was the worst idea EVER. I weighed myself again after Christmas and had put on 35lbs between early September to late December :#:#:# I'm already back down 14.5lbs (thank God!) but it's really brought home to me how much I CANNOT BE TRUSTED to keep an eye on this stuff without weighing myself and logging my calories. The first time around I set MFP to lose 2lbs a week, whereas now I'm only aiming to lose 1lb a week so that there isn't so much difference between losing and maintaining- I'll be less likely to go 'wow now I can eat whatever I want because I've been restricting so much lately!'. What I'm saying is: the worst thing you can do is give up now, and the best thing you can do is use what you've learned in losing the 45lbs the first time to make it a more sustainable and long-term solution this time around. Good luck!
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yup been there. It takes a lot of positive self talk. And almost like the alcoholic montra "just for today" to log calories. Crazy but it is what I need some days to keep moving forward. Its crazy cuz I felt so good with the weight loss and really never felt deprived.
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, everything in life is a process. As long as you are trying and don't stop trying you're good. Eventually you will get it. Don't go cold turkey all at once. Start eliminating bad habits one step at a time. You drink too much soda? You give yourself the goal of drinking a can a day etc. Make a list of veggies, fruits and healthy snack that you like and start eating them. Make your meals simple, veggies and protein and a fruit for dessert for example. Hang in there you can do it
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    BTDT. I have multiple pairs of expensive shoes and orthotics too. Nothing more discouraging than painful useless feet! You know what you have to do food wise. Now you just have to find a pair of shoes that helps you with the foot issues so you can do the activity part of the equation. Over the course of 3 years I had issues with neuromas between the toes, multiple broken bones in the foot, nasty ankle sprain (all of the same foot!) and a bad flare up of the plantar fasciitis in both feet. I gained back 65 lbs of the 85 I had lost. Once I found the right shoes I went back to work full time and am averaging 12K to 15K steps a day without pain. I have lost 50 lbs in the last 9 months of the 65 I had regained. Keep chugging away...you will get there!