Does anyone have itchy legs when walking or being active

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbMay4
    BarbMay4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My 16 y.o. son has the exact same issue and has for years! I am so glad to see this thread. It was so bad when he was little that he stopped playing in the snow with the neighborhood kids. It sucked! Now he doesn't want to work out because he gets so itchy. We did talk to the pediatrician about it. He also diagnosed it as exercise induced urticaria. He mentioned taking allergy meds each day. I hate giving any more meds than absolutely necessary so we have tried having him take Benadryl just before exercising but that approach really didn't seem to make a big difference. We may have to have him try the 24 hour allergy meds! Thanks ivasmom2011 and eluvscats for the info.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Used to have it, it is so annoying because you think things like - out of hape, bad circulation , dried out skin. I've thought them up as well
    A few years back I was diagnosed with a severe housemite allergy (the much more regular kind) and exercise induced asthma. It is probably all related but that is just what it is.
    I have to take the 24h a pill meds for it. The itching is gone, I can breath freely in any situation and I can do anything I want now. I walk, I hike, I run, I cycle etc etc
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    eluvscats wrote: »
    YES!!!! OMG YES!!! I have had this horrific itching since I was a child! It wasn't until my mid-twenties that a doctor told me to take a 24-hour allergy med every day, and as long as I do that, I can exercise again and walk like a normal person! If I sound like I'm shouting, I sort of am because OMG the itching is unbearable and to finally have relief was a godsend. :) But you're not crazy, others have this too!!! :)

And for the other posters that think what she described is just from "being out of shape" or that "you can walk past it," THAT is something else. This is distinct and different and horrible. Just want to make sure we're not demeaning the OP's situation, because if it is exercise-induced urticaria, this is way more than "just itching." :)

Wow, thank you so much! I feel like you definitely get it!!! So has the allergy medicine taken away so of that? I mean literally to walk again would be the greatest dream lol. Disney trips are the worst, I'm only 25 and sometimes I'd have to use those electric scooters because it's so bad! And I'm not that out of shape do it's not what the other posters are saying. My doctor is trying to piece together the puzzle to make this not an issue for me. What kind of allergy medicine do you take? I will take it if it really helps! when I was younger and we used to walk to the grocery store it would be so unbearable that my mother would have to call a taxi because she couldn't pick me up while holding grocery bags

Yes, yes, yes, I definitely get it! I take a 24-hour store brand Zyrtec, but have also taken the 24-hour store brand Claritin and both work just great. I can't handle Benadryl because it makes me too sleepy to function, but these daily allergy needs are pretty low dose and have no side effects for me, at least. Also, if I miss one day's dose, I start to feel the itching returning about 12-24 hours later, so the condition isn't cured but it's managed with the daily pill. After suffering for so many years, just taking a tiny pill every day is such a simple and effective fix. I will likely take this pill every day for the rest of my life. With it, I can function and participate in life like a normal person. Without it, I can't. *hugs*
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    BarbMay4 wrote: »
    My 16 y.o. son has the exact same issue and has for years! I am so glad to see this thread. It was so bad when he was little that he stopped playing in the snow with the neighborhood kids. It sucked! Now he doesn't want to work out because he gets so itchy. We did talk to the pediatrician about it. He also diagnosed it as exercise induced urticaria. He mentioned taking allergy meds each day. I hate giving any more meds than absolutely necessary so we have tried having him take Benadryl just before exercising but that approach really didn't seem to make a big difference. We may have to have him try the 24 hour allergy meds! Thanks ivasmom2011 and eluvscats for the info.

I know it's not fun to take "extra" meds unless absolutely necessary, but if he has exercise induced urticaria, it IS necessary, IMHO. Benadryl really doesn't do anything. Also, for me at least, it takes a couple of days to build up enough of the 24-hour Zyrtec to be effective, so I think it's the constant, sustained levels of the med that make the difference. I feel for him, I really do. But if taking a simple pill every day works, it will change his life. :)
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This happened to me years ago. It only happened when I wore certain clothing I noticed. Good luck.
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You should also have your insulin levels checked and maybe your A1C from the last 3 months. Sensations and circulatory issues are a sign you could be pre-diabetic or full blown. I was for about 4 years and didn't really know it. Now my eyesight has been affected.
  • ivasmom2011
    ivasmom2011 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Well when you find out what works for him let me know because this really stops me from walking
    the way I would like
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Well when you find out what works for him let me know because this really stops me from walking
    the way I would like

you should really ask your dr, what works for one person may not work for another.if he/she okays it then you can try different antihistamines to see which ones work the best for you.
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    AuntFreesa wrote: »
    You should also have your insulin levels checked and maybe your A1C from the last 3 months. Sensations and circulatory issues are a sign you could be pre-diabetic or full blown. I was for about 4 years and didn't really know it. Now my eyesight has been affected.

Yeah I've had my levels checked even recently they're all good I have had this since I was 4 so I doubt that's the case I'm going to try allergy medicine
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    NewTnme wrote: »
    This happened to me years ago. It only happened when I wore certain clothing I noticed. Good luck.

Thank you very much, yeah I also noticed when I wear tighter clothes it's worse
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    YES!!!! OMG YES!!! I have had this horrific itching since I was a child! It wasn't until my mid-twenties that a doctor told me to take a 24-hour allergy med every day, and as long as I do that, I can exercise again and walk like a normal person! If I sound like I'm shouting, I sort of am because OMG the itching is unbearable and to finally have relief was a godsend. :) But you're not crazy, others have this too!!! :)

And for the other posters that think what she described is just from "being out of shape" or that "you can walk past it," THAT is something else. This is distinct and different and horrible. Just want to make sure we're not demeaning the OP's situation, because if it is exercise-induced urticaria, this is way more than "just itching." :)

Wow, thank you so much! I feel like you definitely get it!!! So has the allergy medicine taken away so of that? I mean literally to walk again would be the greatest dream lol. Disney trips are the worst, I'm only 25 and sometimes I'd have to use those electric scooters because it's so bad! And I'm not that out of shape do it's not what the other posters are saying. My doctor is trying to piece together the puzzle to make this not an issue for me. What kind of allergy medicine do you take? I will take it if it really helps! when I was younger and we used to walk to the grocery store it would be so unbearable that my mother would have to call a taxi because she couldn't pick me up while holding grocery bags

Yes, yes, yes, I definitely get it! I take a 24-hour store brand Zyrtec, but have also taken the 24-hour store brand Claritin and both work just great. I can't handle Benadryl because it makes me too sleepy to function, but these daily allergy needs are pretty low dose and have no side effects for me, at least. Also, if I miss one day's dose, I start to feel the itching returning about 12-24 hours later, so the condition isn't cured but it's managed with the daily pill. After suffering for so many years, just taking a tiny pill every day is such a simple and effective fix. I will likely take this pill every day for the rest of my life. With it, I can function and participate in life like a normal person. Without it, I can't. *hugs*

I will buy them tomorrow because it will make my social life alot better, I don't like to do anything but hike and i can rarely do that
    Hugs back
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had that my whole life, and so does my sibling and mom. I do not think it has anything to do with being out of shape or obese because I was slim as a child and preteen. No matter how active I am I barely sweat but man my legs start itching badly. You should try wearing those. Long breathable running leggings that works for me, no shorts
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    I've had that my whole life, and so does my sibling and mom. I do not think it has anything to do with being out of shape or obese because I was slim as a child and preteen. No matter how active I am I barely sweat but man my legs start itching badly. You should try wearing those. Long breathable running leggings that works for me, no shorts

Does that completely work ? I'm glad im not crazy about being the only one with this I started to think I was in it alone