I need some help please!!!

Options
First of all hello everyone and sorry for the long post!
Second of all, I guess it is necessary to tell you a little bit about myself before actually asking you for help.
So, when I was little I was a girl with a normal weight but in high school my weight went up to 98 kg and after a few years of being completely obese I decided to lose weight.
Long story short, I've lost weight throughout a lot of diets, healthy eating and me turning vegetarian (best year of my life) and I've reached 72 kg. Then, something sad happened in my life and I stopped being vegetarian and went from eating good to binge eating or eating less. In the past year I completely stopped caring about my health and about what I was eating and I gained some kg and I now weight around 86.5 - 87 kg. It is terrible, I know I look bad, I feel bad but even though I realized how big I've got, I have no motivation to start eating healthy again.
I like to eat. A lot actually. I like good food and I binge a lot out of boredom, sadness or anxiety. So that is what basically made me to make an account here and start tracking my calories and macros.

In these past 2 weeks, I've stayed in my calories and macros and I did some exercises from youtube (they were short, but I also walk to my university which is about 10-15 minutes apart) and I've lost only 0.7 kg.
Is this really ok? I still wake up bloated and yes some of my muscles are now "hard" and I may be gaining muscles and losing fat but still...

I don't like to eat a lot of meat and I try to eat as many fruits and veggies as I can to help me with my stomach problems
I am opened to suggestions, advice and so on...

I am 22 years old & my height is 1 m and 64 cm with a weight of let's say about 87kg. I really want to go down on 60kg or just visibly get fitter and leaner.
I tend to eat about 1450 calories in day:135g C; 115g P; 50g F

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you don't lose alot at first. Don't be discouraged. Are you weighing and measuring all your food and drink? Do you have a digital food scale? Your calorie goal sounds doable. Keep up with your exercising. Take measurements now and update them every week or month. Keep a journal, and in the future if you're stalled with your weight loss you can see your progress there. It's an uplift. Just keep going. This is a long term thing, just be consistent and you will see results.
  • anee27
    anee27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you don't lose alot at first. Don't be discouraged. Are you weighing and measuring all your food and drink? Do you have a digital food scale? Your calorie goal sounds doable. Keep up with your exercising. Take measurements now and update them every week or month. Keep a journal, and in the future if you're stalled with your weight loss you can see your progress there. It's an uplift. Just keep going. This is a long term thing, just be consistent and you will see results.

I am weighing all of my food and I only drink water..
    Should I change my calorie goal or is it fine like this?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You just started exercising so you're likely retaining some water which is masking losses. It is highly unlikely you have gained any quantifiable amount of muscle eating at a deficit and not lifting very heavy things and you can't increase the number on the scale without increasing the number of calories you eat (outside of aforementioned water retention of course!).

Just give it more time, your losses are just fine. Lots of people, me included can take a few weeks to see a loss when we start at a deficit again. It's just how our bodies work.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Is your calorie goal what MFP gave you when you plugged in your stats? It seems about right to me. Keep going for another 2 weeks and then check back if you don't have progress.
  • anee27
    Options
    Is your calorie goal what MFP gave you when you plugged in your stats? It seems about right to me. Keep going for another 2 weeks and then check back if you don't have progress.

Oh no, I got around 1200.
    This goal of 1450 is based on a website which calculated my macros and calories :)

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a calculator from another MFP user a long time ago that has helped me figure out about where I need to be to lose weight. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly where I got it, so I can't give the person I got it from credit or tell you where to find it. BUT, it says that it's based on the Mifflin-St. Jeor formula, so I can give you the link to a different calculator based on this formula. I plugged your stats into the calculator with light activity. It says your BMR is 1625, and your daily energy expenditure is around 2200 calories per day. http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/

At 1450 calories a day, you should be dropping weight at a reasonable pace. There are 7,700 calories per kg, so you *should* be losing a kg every 10 days or so. Your numbers look good, and you seem about right on pace for your eating and activity. But all of that is on paper, and we all know that reality doesn't always stack up to plans. Give it at least another week, and remember all the things that can make it look like we're not losing when we actually are (sodium, medications, hormones, etc.) Remember, you gained that extra 15 kg in 12 months' time. And you're on pace to lose it about the same amount of time. You're fine.
  • anee27
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    I downloaded a calculator from another MFP user a long time ago that has helped me figure out about where I need to be to lose weight. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly where I got it, so I can't give the person I got it from credit or tell you where to find it. BUT, it says that it's based on the Mifflin-St. Jeor formula, so I can give you the link to a different calculator based on this formula. I plugged your stats into the calculator with light activity. It says your BMR is 1625, and your daily energy expenditure is around 2200 calories per day. http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/

At 1450 calories a day, you should be dropping weight at a reasonable pace. There are 7,700 calories per kg, so you *should* be losing a kg every 10 days or so. Your numbers look good, and you seem about right on pace for your eating and activity. But all of that is on paper, and we all know that reality doesn't always stack up to plans. Give it at least another week, and remember all the things that can make it look like we're not losing when we actually are (sodium, medications, hormones, etc.) Remember, you gained that extra 15 kg in 12 months' time. And you're on pace to lose it about the same amount of time. You're fine.

Thank you so much..I guess I have to give it some time then..
  • snowflake954
    Options
    anee27 wrote: »

This goal of 1450 is based on a website which calculated my macros and calories :)

Remember that MFP gives you your calorie goal without exercise (you have to plug in your daily exercise), while many other sites have exercise included.
  • anee27
    Options

Remember that MFP gives you your calorie goal without exercise (you have to plug in your daily exercise), while many other sites have exercise included.

I knew that. When I've calculated them on that site, I had to introduce my exercises to.
    I put the exercises too when I calculated my calories with mfp and I still got 1200 calories to eat
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am almost exactly the same height as you, also female and lightly active, and I lose around a pound per week eating at 1450. Just be patient, stick with it and you will get there, but there WILL be fluctuations along the way. You can use a trending app or just weigh less frequently if the fluctuations drive you bonkers. The scale only tells PART of the story.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options

I knew that. When I've calculated them on that site, I had to introduce my exercises to.
    I put the exercises too when I calculated my calories with mfp and I still got 1200 calories to eat

On MFP, only exercise you include in your "activity level" setting (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) gives you more calories in your goal. The minutes of exercise that you enter in your profile don't give you any extra calories, they're just used to put goal minutes in your exercise diary page.

Since MFP gave you 1200, I'm betting you didn't include the exercise in your activity level, and that it expects you to eat back some of your exercise calories also. That would make the results closer to consistent with what you got from the other web site . . . and most of the calculators (MFP & other web sites) usually produce estimates in the same general range, based on the same general data, which tends to confirm that bet.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your question is as your rate of loss seems to be around 0.77lbs a week which would reflect a daily deficit of ~385 Cal on average based on ~3500Cal per lb.

If your total daily caloric expenditure including exercise is ~2000 Cal... this is a sensible pace.

It will help you long term to use a trending weight web site or app to observe your weight level as daily water weight variations (and your use of the word bloated comes to mind) can absolutely mask changes to your underlying weight level. you may want to play with trendweight.com or weightgrapher.com or libra for android or happy scale for iphone.

Deficits of ~20% are usually safe and fairly well tolerated.

Note that I would definite someone as sedentary based on MFP activity settings if their total "movement" for the day amounts to ~35-40 minutes or less. Once they exceeded that they would want to either log and eat some of their exercise calories or move their MFP setting to lightly active.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

On MFP, only exercise you include in your "activity level" setting (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) gives you more calories in your goal. The minutes of exercise that you enter in your profile don't give you any extra calories, they're just used to put goal minutes in your exercise diary page.

Since MFP gave you 1200, I'm betting you didn't include the exercise in your activity level, and that it expects you to eat back some of your exercise calories also. That would make the results closer to consistent with what you got from the other web site . . . and most of the calculators (MFP & other web sites) usually produce estimates in the same general range, based on the same general data, which tends to confirm that bet.

Thank you Ann--this is exactly what I was trying to tell the OP. This concept needs to be very clear. There are alot of newbies on here that don't eat back exercise calories and are starving--or say they are.
  • Candida83
    Candida83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat. You may not be losing weight but you're gaining muscle, which is an awesome thing! Chin up. Don't look at the scale. Try to challenge yourself for a week. Keep following your calorie allowances but stay away from the scale. Take your measurements in inches and watch your inches and cals. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Candida83 wrote: »
    You have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat. You may not be losing weight but you're gaining muscle, which is an awesome thing! Chin up. Don't look at the scale. Try to challenge yourself for a week. Keep following your calorie allowances but stay away from the scale. Take your measurements in inches and watch your inches and cals. :)

Have you ever tried to put on muscle? It's hard and dosn't happen by accident. It also take along time--especially for women. The OP is only at this 2 weeks. Impossible to pull "the muscle" card.

Sadly, this is true. And it's even harder to do while losing weight. Exercise, especially strength-oriented, is still worth doing to keep as much existing muscle as possible and not have to (slowly) regain it later.

One thing that is true: If the workouts are hard enough to be a challenge (such as they cause some sore muscles), one does tend to hold onto some water weight that one's body is using for muscle repair purposes. That water weight can mask fat loss temporarily, but if we stay the course, the fat loss will outpace it relatively soon.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

MFP expects you to log exercise (on everyday you do it) and then you earn added calories. This number is "net" calories. Let's say your goal is 1200.....you log a 3 mile walk and earn 150 calories. You eat 1350 because that's 1200 "net calories" (1350 - 150 = 1200). MFP also uses your pounds per week goal in the calculation. Other sites may use a percent. 1200 net is the default minimum for MFP.

But that's not important. The most important thing is to find a place you are comfortable with and can sustain for awhile.

Water weight can mess with the scale big time. Just keep up the good work!
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think have taken the most important step so far .. You Care ... the rest will fall into place .. just keep caring

Good luck
  • anee27
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    I think have taken the most important step so far .. You Care ... the rest will fall into place .. just keep caring

Good luck

That was so nice said..I just have to care every day though..:(

Good luck to you too!

• KiraCharman
    KiraCharman Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Think I might be able to help add me/message me and we can try sort everything out hun