New to the gym, and I really need help!

danicaffeinated
danicaffeinated Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So basically I am fairly knowledgeable in healthy eating, but I have never spent more than a few minutes aimlessly wandering around a gym in a fog of confusion and nervousness.

That being said, I am going to be joining a ladies gym next week and I know I'll be using the bikes and elliptical as those are cardio machines that don't make me cry lol, but I also really want to learn about the strength training I can't afford a personal trainer so I thought maybe someone on here could help me just a bit.

I don't know proper form, or how many of what to do for how long and any amount of advice would be amazing!

Thanks!

Replies

• schac061
    schac061 Posts: 41 Member
    I'm also just learning! I don't have it down quite yet, but what I have been doing so far is looking at Pinterest and YouTube videos. I will get different free weight circuits from Pinterest and I use YouTube for instructions on how to use weight machines or other free weight circuits.
    Best of luck to you!
  • chabr38
    chabr38 Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hello! I recommend looking into which areas you want to work out. I had my personal trainer friends help me with proper form and such. If you have a chance to look up the workout you'd like to try out, you can research proper form. Form is important to avoid injury and to make sure you target the area of focus. Also, you can ask for help once you're there! We've all been there with the nerves so I'm sure there will be someone kind enough to help. Best of luck!!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    If there is a BodyPump (Les Mills or equivalent) class near you I would recommend it. I was terrified by the thought of weights in the actual gym, loads of guys who seem to glare at you if you wander over.

Bodypump is weight lifting to music, controlled and the instructor will teach you correct form and motions. Plus the classes seem to have a much more friendly atmosphere for newbies.

I now do some weights in the gym in my own time outside of the class and feel much more confident with my form and what I can lift. (note: I do use lighter weights for the class as there are many many more reps than you may do in the gym, but form is form and can be transferred to the heavy weight-less reps in the gym)

If not your thing, there may be someone at the gym who can give you some pointers, not necessarily a PT, someone who runs the inductions? Strength training is awesome!
  • emileenapuddn
    emileenapuddn Posts: 4 Member
    I can second the body pump idea, its a really non-intimidating way to do some weights, I'm fairly nervous and the gym too and this helped me, and it was a fab workout, even if I couldn't use my arms properly for a couple of days after.. :)
  • Suhairalisrr
    Suhairalisrr Posts: 1 Member
    I hate exercising it's so boring for me coz I never been exercising from long long time, every time I try to encourage myself I get to the point that I can't continue even in diet I can't keep up with it coz I love chocolate alot Alot I don't know what to do
  • Renee2BFit
    Renee2BFit Posts: 5 Member
    I know exactly what u mean. When I first started I was clueless. I guess the guys in the gym who were working out noticed lol so they started helping me out. Now I train with them. But also when I joined my local gym there is a 8 week consultation where they help u out and help get u familiar with the weights and machines. Looks around and interact with some of the ladies in that area and they too can show you. Once u get to know how the machines work figure out what areas you want to workout and do those machines and set how much weight and how many reps you want to do. You'll get the hang of it. Good luck.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    get the Jefit app. It has a ton of workouts you can choose from and each exercise has pictures and proper form technique written out. Youtube is also great for seeing technique videos once you know what you want to do.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Many women on MFP who strength train got their start with Strong Curves. I've not read it personally, but judging by the amount of love it gets around here and the sheer number of people who recommend it to others, I'm guessing it's a really great book/program.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    So basically I am fairly knowledgeable in healthy eating, but I have never spent more than a few minutes aimlessly wandering around a gym in a fog of confusion and nervousness.

That being said, I am going to be joining a ladies gym next week and I know I'll be using the bikes and elliptical as those are cardio machines that don't make me cry lol, but I also really want to learn about the strength training I can't afford a personal trainer so I thought maybe someone on here could help me just a bit.

I don't know proper form, or how many of what to do for how long and any amount of advice would be amazing!

Thanks!

You should get at least one free session with a trainer with your membership. In the unlikely event that your gym does not offer this as a standard, since you have not yet joined, you are in a good position to insist on it.

We and books can give you suggestions, but for proper form, nothing beats having someone in the room with you.