Working Out With An Injury?

Options
I slipped on the sidewalk yesterday and really cut up my knee. It's nothing serious, just some bruising and a really nasty cut (I was told I could get stitches, but that they weren't necessary). I didn't work out today, as it's still very sore, but I recently had to stop working out for almost 2 weeks due to a very bad chest cold, and I don't want to lose too much more time. Any suggestions as to what I can do that doesn't involve too much leg movement but is still a somewhat decent workout?

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's quite a broad question and depending on why and how you work out is hard to give you a useful answer. For example, I am a member of a small gym and have just pulled a ligament in my knee so for the last week I have still been working out but the trainer has me doing doing mostly upper body weights plus the cross trainer and the Ski Erg machine to get my heart rate up as these are fine on my knee. I've had to cut out my lunges and leg exercises for now, just going gentle leg slides instead. If you normally do cardio or don't have access to weights and machines, however, this won't be much use to you. Maybe Google upper body work outs?

If you work out for other reasons, e.g. To stay relaxed, look at doing meditation or some gentle yoga that doesn't affect your knee. Sorry not to be of more help. If you post what type of workouts you normally do and why, you might get a more helpful answer than mine.

Good luck!
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    It's mostly martial arts and boxing type bodyweight workouts from Darebee (I have also asked this question in those forums). I know I can probably still do the various punching exercises (a bit more slowly, though, since they do involve some leg movement), but not so much the kicks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you're going to want to avoid anything that might risk reopening the wound, especially if it was almost stitch-worthy.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Yeah, you're going to want to avoid anything that might risk reopening the wound, especially if it was almost stitch-worthy.

Yeah, I figured that out during work, yesterday.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've trained through 3 cases of elbow tendinitis and a wonky back. My trainer is a kinesiology geek, and has my permission to consult with my PT or Chiropractor. If we're not sure if something is OK, we'll try it and I'll tell him if it hurts.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I did a similar injury last Thursday, skinned both knees (that horrible burning feeling when your running tights melt the top layers of skin away with the friction between the material and the pavement). I've not been able to bend my knees or fully use my arm. I've just been gently walking for the past couple of days, just keeping the knees loose. Today is the first day I'm going to try some very slow running and gentle cycling.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    I did a similar injury last Thursday, skinned both knees (that horrible burning feeling when your running tights melt the top layers of skin away with the friction between the material and the pavement). I've not been able to bend my knees or fully use my arm. I've just been gently walking for the past couple of days, just keeping the knees loose. Today is the first day I'm going to try some very slow running and gentle cycling.
    I've trained through 3 cases of elbow tendinitis and a wonky back. My trainer is a kinesiology geek, and has my permission to consult with my PT or Chiropractor. If we're not sure if something is OK, we'll try it and I'll tell him if it hurts.

This isn't a skinned knee, nor is it a matter of whether or not a particular exercise hurts. This is a deep cut for which stitches were originally recommended, and I'm having enough trouble not reopening it by just walking around. It's no doubt going to be a couple weeks before I can get back to my full workout without ripping it open again.
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know I can probably still do the various punching exercises (a bit more slowly, though, since they do involve some leg movement), but not so much the kicks.
    It's no doubt going to be a couple weeks before I can get back to my full workout without ripping it open again.

Sounds like you've answered your own question then. Best of luck to you.
  • unsuspectingfish
    edited January 2017
    Options
    eok902 wrote: »
    I know I can probably still do the various punching exercises (a bit more slowly, though, since they do involve some leg movement), but not so much the kicks.
    It's no doubt going to be a couple weeks before I can get back to my full workout without ripping it open again.

Sounds like you've answered your own question then. Best of luck to you.

Not really, no. My question was what can I do to get a decent workout without using my legs. I know it's probably not going to be 100% as effective as my full workout, but I still want to do something. Punches are one option, yes, but the ones I do also require some degree of leg movement, and I'd like some other suggestions.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sounds like you need to just focus on upper body and abs. Lifting barbells/dumbells while seated or upper body weight machines (rather than whole body lifts or heavy weights that will force you bend knees to pick them up). You could do chin ups. Do planks, ab work, if you dont hit the knee. Not sure what equipment is in the cardio section of your gym but mine has some things that are cranked by hand, not foot. You might also google "workouts for wheelchair users" and see if you get some ideas or videos. I don't think you are using a wheelchair but any wheelchair workout would assume immobile legs so they might give you ideas. My former gym used to have a chair yoga class with seated (in a wheelchair or just regular straight backed chair) versions of stretches and poses, if you can't find a class like that maybe there is one online.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Pushups for sure. You can keep your leg largely immobile throughout depending on the type you do.
    Let me ups - same with the immobility, just keep that leg stiff.
    V ups - no need to bend your legs there.

I'd suggest doing a google search for other bodyweight exercises as well. Very under rated in my opinion and can give you a heck of a workout.

I'd probably wrap that knee tightly just to be safe though. No point in chancing reopening that wound.

edit: Not discounting your mention of Darabee - Those are what I've used to work around various injuries, no deep gashes though.
  • unsuspectingfish
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sounds like you need to just focus on upper body and abs. Lifting barbells/dumbells while seated or upper body weight machines (rather than whole body lifts or heavy weights that will force you bend knees to pick them up). You could do chin ups. Do planks, ab work, if you dont hit the knee. Not sure what equipment is in the cardio section of your gym but mine has some things that are cranked by hand, not foot. You might also google "workouts for wheelchair users" and see if you get some ideas or videos. I don't think you are using a wheelchair but any wheelchair workout would assume immobile legs so they might give you ideas. My former gym used to have a chair yoga class with seated (in a wheelchair or just regular straight backed chair) versions of stretches and poses, if you can't find a class like that maybe there is one online.

I don't go to a gym, I just do bodyweight at home. Definitely going to look into wheelchair-oriented workouts, though, since I think for at least the first few days, the more immobile, the better.
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Pushups for sure. You can keep your leg largely immobile throughout depending on the type you do.

I'd suggest doing a google search for other bodyweight exercises as well. Very under rated in my opinion and can give you a heck of a workout.

I'd probably wrap that knee tightly just to be safe though. No point in chancing reopening that wound.

edit: Not discounting your mention of Darabee - Those are what I've used to work around various injuries, no deep gashes though.

It was definitely recommended to me that I keep wrapping it for awhile for just that reason. I think I'm going to spend the day browsing the workouts on Darebee to get some more ideas, but I think I'm definitely going to be in push-up hell for awhile. I mean, I need it, so it's probably a good thing.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I don't go to a gym, I just do bodyweight at home. Definitely going to look into wheelchair-oriented workouts, though, since I think for at least the first few days, the more immobile, the better.
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

It was definitely recommended to me that I keep wrapping it for awhile for just that reason. I think I'm going to spend the day browsing the workouts on Darebee to get some more ideas, but I think I'm definitely going to be in push-up hell for awhile. I mean, I need it, so it's probably a good thing.

Well, I'm a little biased - I love push ups lol. Those let me ups are a fantastic pull up alternative too, as well as dips using a table and chair, or chairs, and you could really mix it up nicely if you have a TRX or WOSS available.

Best of luck, and hope you heal up quickly. Being limited like that would drive me crazy after about 1 whole day.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle nearly 5 months ago and of course, I couldn't do much in terms of leg workouts especially after I had to have surgery. I did do quite a few seated dumbbell curls and tricep workouts. As the previous poster mentioned, I did some pushups with one leg raised (which made it much more challenging but it was effective). OF course, I couldn't do any of my HIIT or go running. To this day, I still can't do the leg workouts I want but I will say that my upper body is probably stronger than ever.