Why do some people up here make it seem like eating fried foods are bad?

Options

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, if you ain't had fried LUMPIA, you're missing out.

^^^ This! ^^^
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I look at all possible foods I can eat in a day and consider how filling it will be for the calories, because not feeling hungry is important for me. So I would avoid fried food in favour of something that would not mean I had to eat a lower volume of food overall than I would prefer.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    there are no good and bad foods (or good or bad times to eat).

However, the calories in fried foods don't offer much nutritionally. And as an occasional treat or splurge - isnt a bad thing. But when you are at a low calorie limit, it becomes harder, and more important, to eat calories that offer you what you need nutritionally and for energy, and to eat them consistently.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Me sad panda... my acid reflux doesn't much like fried foods even though I like them heaps. So in this sense, fried foods are a pretty bad food for me as they equal pretty horrible pain.

I would love to eat a schnitzel with fries but it's better for me I don't.

The only reason a food might be bad for someone is if that person has a medical reason for it and their body doesn't react well. Otherwise, if it fits your calories, just enjoy :smile:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're losing, it's just fine. When you stop losing, you may have to cut back on fried foods.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I tend to trust the WHO guidelines which are both evidence based and extensively reviewed.

This page outlines the WHO guidelines in relation to prevention of diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke etc.

While caloric intake is mentioned it is certainly not a stand alone consideration; there are specific guidelines regarding fat intake.
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs394/en/
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    there are no good and bad foods (or good or bad times to eat).

However, the calories in fried foods don't offer much nutritionally. And as an occasional treat or splurge - isnt a bad thing. But when you are at a low calorie limit, it becomes harder, and more important, to eat calories that offer you what you need nutritionally and for energy, and to eat them consistently.

What kind of fried foods are we referring to here? If I take a potato, slice it up and Fry it in olive oil how is it not offer much nutrition? Same with a fried pork chop? The nutrition of the food is still there, but if someone covers the food with a lot of flour and such then it's possible that the calories outweigh the nutritional values.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    md78245 wrote: »
    Fried foods = empty calories

No such thing as empty calories.

Not filling = empty for me.

Doesn't mean I don't do it once in a while, but I'll probably end up hungry if I blow 200 calories in oil.

But saturated fats get a bad name, which is why so many people qualify fried foods as bad. For me, I just avoid them because they don't fill me up and I get more taste for much less calories if I just bake it at home with a spray of oil.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Doesn't mean I don't do it once in a while, but I'll probably end up hungry if I blow 200 calories in oil.

But saturated fats get a bad name, which is why so many people qualify fried foods as bad. For me, I just avoid them because they don't fill me up and I get more taste for much less calories if I just bake it at home with a spray of oil.

Doesn't make them empty... Just not filling.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

So if I eat fried chicken it has no protien? Fried foods may give you more calories than you need, but frying a food doesn't negate it's nutritional value.

Fried meats (potassium, iron, protein)
    Fried potatoes (at home- potassium, starches)
    stir fry vegetables (any nutrient that is in any vegetable),
    ooh fried cheese (although that one might be different lol) (calcium, protein)

There are a lot of foods that can be made fried, and can be very nutritious. Olive oil can be used to give you the Monos. Yall might fry me for saying butter is good, But I use it most times. While butter has no micronutrient nutrition, that part helps the best with staving off hunger, and for me and my lifestyle, keeping cholesterol down. (Don't follow my advice...there, a disclaimer for the masses).

It could be argued that skillet-fried foods can actually help one maintain control, due to the higher fat content. I know it does for me, but may not for others due to its larger calorie content.

To decide calories of fried foods, take stock of what you put into it, and just measure the unused oil/butter by weighing it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »

So if I eat fried chicken it has no protien? Fried foods may give you more calories than you need, but frying a food doesn't negate it's nutritional value.

Fried meats (potassium, iron, protein)
    Fried potatoes (at home- potassium, starches)
    stir fry vegetables (any nutrient that is in any vegetable),
    ooh fried cheese (although that one might be different lol) (calcium, protein)

There are a lot of foods that can be made fried, and can be very nutritious. Olive oil can be used to give you the Monos. Yall might fry me for saying butter is good, But I use it most times. While butter has no micronutrient nutrition, that part helps the best with staving off hunger, and for me and my lifestyle, keeping cholesterol down. (Don't follow my advice...there, a disclaimer for the masses).

It could be argued that skillet-fried foods can actually help one maintain control, due to the higher fat content. I know it does for me, but may not for others due to its larger calorie content.

To decide calories of fried foods, take stock of what you put into it, and just measure the unused oil/butter by weighing it.

I wouldn't say that butter is rich in micronutrients, but it's a pretty good source of vitamin A (1 tablespoon gives you 7% of the RDA).
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, if you ain't had fried LUMPIA, you're missing out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

What is LUMPIA?

I don't want to miss out!

*Edit: Googled. Now I need this in my life.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I do eat unhealthy food from time to time, especially on a long run day like yesterday after running 20 miles. I certainly enjoyed the mint fudge brownie and those chips and queso... yum! However, I do try to choose healthy, non fried food most of the time. A big reason is I can eat way more healthy food for the same amount of calories. I guess I'd just rather be less hungry. I do need my sweets though, but I have them in moderation. I'll typically buy a candy bar that has squares or comes in individually wrapped small squares, and I'll just have 1 square when I get a strong chocolate craving.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Doesn't make them empty... Just not filling.

Hence the 'for me'.

Of course not. I'm talking about the fact that it's fried versus grilled/baked. You don't get much added nutrition from the oil for the extra calories.

• treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I watch my sugar intake due to pre diabeties and fatty liver. I cut sugar no more pre diabeties now. So for me high sugar foods are not healthy. Nothing wrong with treats but if someone was eating all calories of chocolate bars not many nutrients in them. I try and look at food as fuel.....if it is full of chemicals I TRY and stay away.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I watch my sugar intake due to pre diabeties and fatty liver. I cut sugar no more pre diabeties now. So for me high sugar foods are not healthy. Nothing wrong with treats but if someone was eating all calories of chocolate bars not many nutrients in them. I try and look at food as fuel.....if it is full of chemicals I TRY and stay away.

Anyone whose diet consists of a single food, as in your example of someone eating nothing but chocolate bars, is likely to develop some sort of nutritional deficiency. A diet consisting only of kale or chicken breast or oats is going to have serious problems as well.

This is why people don't typically do this -- when given choice and access, most of us eat a variety of foods.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fried foods are an indulgence for me...not something I would have on the regular.

I'm pretty sure nobody in their right mind is doing that...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't think fried foods are bad, but they make it a lot harder to stay on track to calorie goals. Nothing makes that hit home for me like entering French fries in my food diary vs me slicing a potato and baking them as my alternative.

This. I'm pretty much off fried food and sticking with oven baked equivalents. I get that they aren't bad, but the oil does add to the calories.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Fried foods are an indulgence for me...not something I would have on the regular.

I'm pretty sure nobody in their right mind is doing that...

You mean we aren't supposed to have an all chocolate bar diet?

Time to rethink my strategy....