Let's talk protein

Options
I may be a 227 lbs but I plan on building muscle and I'm interested in muscle gains during my weight loss journey and if your interested we can discuss different sources for protein and what we need for the most efficient combination

Replies

• Candida83
    Candida83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Soy is really bad for you... I'd say stick with the animal proteins as much as you can.
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Soy is absolutely fine... Beans and Quinoa are also excellent sources of non-animal protein.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    soy can be bad for you IF you have thyroid issues
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

Here is a good source of proteins.

Also, training and not having a huge deficit are very important part of the equation. If you have a large deficit, low protein or inadequate training, you will decrease the ability to gain muscle during weight loss. And while it is difficult to gain muscle in a deficit, if you are overfat or new to training, then you are more primed than someone who has been training for years or very lean. I would recommend looking at the below thread as it has a lot of program in it. Many women tend to favor NROL4W and StrongCurves. But there are many viable options.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It's prudent to point out, you aren't going to be making significant muscle gains, if any at all, whilst losing weight. The two goals aren't compatible beyond some unquantifiable newbie gains. Your being female further lessens the chances.

That said, strength training and making sure to get adequate protein will give you better long term results because they will minimise inevitable muscle losses along with fat loss.
    Candida83 wrote: »
    Soy is really bad for you... I'd say stick with the animal proteins as much as you can.

Nope.

So maybe not gain muscle but maintain most of the muscle you already have, while losing fat so that the muscle will begin to show. As far as protein options I usually have greek yogurt, chicken and whey protein.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    It's prudent to point out, you aren't going to be making significant muscle gains, if any at all, whilst losing weight. The two goals aren't compatible beyond some unquantifiable newbie gains. Your being female further lessens the chances.

That said, strength training and making sure to get adequate protein will give you better long term results because they will minimise inevitable muscle losses along with fat loss.

Nope.

So maybe not gain muscle but maintain most of the muscle you already have, while losing fat so that the muscle will begin to show. As far as protein options I usually have greek yogurt, chicken and whey protein.

At the very least, it would give the OP an opportunity to maintain muscle so you see greater fat loss. But if the OP is completely untrained, I would argue that she can gain a little muscle.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Nope.

At the very least, it would give the OP an opportunity to maintain muscle so you see greater fat loss. But if the OP is completely untrained, I would argue that she can gain a little muscle.

I did mention newbie gains. Are they really that significant in women though?

Besides that, everything Trigden said. Though I'd add all fish, just for variety.
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    remember - there are protein powders that are very clean and others that have a lot of unwanted stuff in them. Typically, the cleaner proteins usually cost more money. Just read the label and make sure you know what you are getting.

I myself prefer very clean Isolate mixes. Right now I am using "Isopure Zero-Carb, Chocolate Flavor" which has zero carbs and 50g Protein.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Nope.

Agreed.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    steplaj wrote: »
    remember - there are protein powders that are very clean and others that have a lot of unwanted stuff in them. Typically, the cleaner proteins usually cost more money. Just read the label and make sure you know what you are getting.

There are a lot of crappy proteins that cost a lot of money and good ones that are cheap. If anything, i would check the below.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Soy is absolutely fine... Beans and Quinoa are also excellent sources of non-animal protein.

Agreed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    vpinc wrote: »
    I may be a 227 lbs but I plan on building muscle and I'm interested in muscle gains during my weight loss journey and if your interested we can discuss different sources for protein and what we need for the most efficient combination

Welcome! What is your protein goal and how are you doing at meeting it? I think .8 g/lb of healthy goal weight is a nice target, and I aim for 100 g based on that, although I usually end up getting more without trying too hard. Besides lean meat/seafood, low fat dairy is a source for me, eggs and legumes, some tofu and tempeh, and various amounts from vegetables, grains, and nuts/seeds.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    soy can be bad for you IF you have thyroid issues

Or other hormones issues...like me. Soy screws with all my hormone levels. Gotta love being a female with high testosterone. Thanks PCOS.

I like grass fed beef, chicken breast (boneless, skinless), salmon, eggs, and pork for my main proteins. If there is protein in other non-meat foods I eat, it's an added bonus. I also buy bread with additional protein, Greek yogurt, and I eat protein bars after lifting. I like the Pure Protein brand and the Oatmega brand, since they have a high amount of protein for fewer calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

If one has a medical condition that requires the elimination or limitation of soy, protein needs culd still be met with non-animal protein from beans and grains (wheat gluten is especially high in protein). So even if you were right that the general population should avoid soy (and you aren't), that still wouldn't require one to consume animal proteins.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Nope.

They can be. My ex-wife actually built a pretty appreciable amount of lean mass while cutting from 180 to 140 on 1200/day and running 5/3/1. Going from being a completely untrained and sedentary videogame player with a crazy high bodyfat can allow for some interesting noob gains. Of course, everyone's body reacts differently to that stage, and she and I were both pretty adamant about keeping really high protein intakes while losing weight.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

There are a lot of crappy proteins that cost a lot of money and good ones that are cheap. If anything, i would check the below.

@psuLemon Thanks for the link Lemon! Excellent :smiley:
  • psuLemon
    Options

Nope.

They can be. My ex-wife actually built a pretty appreciable amount of lean mass while cutting from 180 to 140 on 1200/day and running 5/3/1. Going from being a completely untrained and sedentary videogame player with a crazy high bodyfat can allow for some interesting noob gains. Of course, everyone's body reacts differently to that stage, and she and I were both pretty adamant about keeping really high protein intakes while losing weight.

I would agree. One of the women I am working with now gained 6 lbs of lean body mass (realizing this is more than muscle) and lost 9lbs of fat while following a 3 day full body dumbbell routine (complete newbie) and following a ketogenic diet at 40g per day. We increase protein to around 1g/lbm, and time carbs/protein around workouts. Body fat, IIRC started at 23% and now around 16.6%.
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

GREAT SHARE