Is there a way of keeping track of food that isn't calorie based?

Options
I struggle with counting the exact calories in food as for an example, I work in a nursery looking after children and I am allowed to eat with them as long as I eat what the children are having - I only have 1 or 2 serving spoons of their meals but I don't know how much calories are in there.

I also get demotivated when counting calories so I was wondering if there's another system that doesn't involve counting calories? I don't have much money and trying to loose weight cheaply so I can't afford SW or WW fees.

Thank you in advanced

Replies

• DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You could just eat smaller servings of things. When i started out, I would only half of what I use to and that cuts down calories. You could also try intermittent fasting. So you choose certain hours of the day where you don't eat and then certain where you do. Say 18hours of the day you don't eat food, 6 hours when you can eat food. I found that to be pretty easy too. I would usually skip breakfast and lunch but I'd eat dinner as that's when I usually go out to eat with friends. Or you could try something like 5:2 and eat very little 2 days a week, eat normally 5 days. Which reduces your total calories for the week, thus you lose weight, well hopefully if you created a deficit.

I've tried all of these but none were sustainable for me, which is what we should really aim for. At the end of the day it does come down to how many calories you put into your body and how much you use but you don't need to measure them to lose, it's just easier for some people to count calories and you're more likely to be accurate when you weight your foods and count... but it's not 100% necessary to monitor exactly how many calories. As you get closer to goal you might want to count.
  • fabricatedinwonderland
    fabricatedinwonderland Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you I mean I will track where possible and will keep a journal of foods at home , the 5:2 diet sounds really good for me as I rarely have much at the weekends.

I've tried to be more mindful about what I eat especially with lunches in work
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In college I was successful at losing weight by allocating 500 calories per meal and then making choices at each meal that I was fairly certain would fall below that number. A cheese burger, or one slice of pizza, or a salad. I never spent much time measuring calories in any of it, but I had a rough idea. If I was off a little, no big deal. Once that meal was done, it was forgotten. If I found myself getting extra hungry between meals I would grab a snack. It wasn't so much about calories but I let hunger be my guide. As long as I was getting hungry before the next meal then I was satisfied that I was eating light enough. If I wasn't hungry before the next meal then I had eaten too much. I weighed myself twice a week with about two pounds of weight lose per week. I would weigh on Saturday as my "official" weigh-in, but I would also weigh on Wednesday to see if I was on track to lose two pounds that week. Now, I wouldn't recommend being as aggressive at weight loss as I was then, but the method worked well for me, even better than tracking calories.
  • Candida83
    Candida83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You could always pack your lunch and choose wisely with the foods you pack. You know exactly what you're eating and how much.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with the same thing right now as I am fed up of logging. Some things which work for me are
    1. EAT SLOWLY. When I was overweight I used to finish my meal in less than 5 minutes . Due to eating fast , I did not listen to my body when it was full and so I didnt stop eating until I ate everything on the plate. I used to eat a whole pizza by myself , now I realize that 3-4 slices is enough for me.
    2. Something which I found very useful is a sort of intermittent fasting. Basically in the morning I just have tea , A fruit for lunch and then just a small packet of crisps until dinner where I eat whatever I want ( Mindfully of course )
    3. I also suggest buying a fitness tracker. It is very helpful and motivates you to move more and thus burn more calories.
    4. Last one is the scale. Basically weigh yourself 2-3 times per week and if your weight remains the same over the week , it means you should eat less .

If you need any more help or anything just add me :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just to note, that whilst the calories in things may be a mystery to you now, if you do go with traditional calorie counting then it does get easier to guesstimate things. The more you make at home, the better idea you'll have of what things look like outside the home and what a reasonable portion for your goals is.

The suggestion to just take your own lunch is also a good one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I struggle with counting the exact calories in food as for an example, I work in a nursery looking after children and I am allowed to eat with them as long as I eat what the children are having - I only have 1 or 2 serving spoons of their meals but I don't know how much calories are in there.

I also get demotivated when counting calories so I was wondering if there's another system that doesn't involve counting calories? I don't have much money and trying to loose weight cheaply so I can't afford SW or WW fees.

Thank you in advanced

You could just write them down. That's what I did years ago before MFP was a thing (or at least before I knew about it, this was around 2002). For me just being mindful and writing stuff down is helpful, and I was able to make specific changes from that.
  • fabricatedinwonderland
    Options
    Candida83 wrote: »
    You could always pack your lunch and choose wisely with the foods you pack. You know exactly what you're eating and how much.

with my job, we've all been told to eat lunch with the children...
    wouldn't work for me as i tend to go out a bit for food and at home my mum cooks me meals...
    I always kept asking for smaller portions but I still get the same amount as before.

I love the idea of the 5:2 diet. I rarely eat much at the weekend (although when i do, I eat the wrong type)
    hoping to change this soon and to be much more healthier when I move out of my family home.

I already wear a fitbit and I pretty much smash my 15,000 step goal daily in the week. Weekends are a slow brner for me.

I will try the scale trick to find out if i do need to eat less.

Thank you for all of your help!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    "I only have 1 or 2 serving spoons of their meals but I don't know how much calories are in there" Can you try searching for the foods that you've eaten, on the database, take a rough guess as to how much your few spoonfuls weigh and then let MFP tell you how many calories the lunch was? I often eat out, but in cafes and restaurants not tracked on this site, so I choose the nearest equivalent or 'homemade' that I can find via the search tool. It's almost certainly not 100% accurate, but it's going to be a lot closer than me trying to guess how many calories I ate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately all the diets that don't involve calorie counting are typically based about 'half your plate of veggies, 1/4 of protein and 1/4 of whole grains' or something, and that wouldn't work in your situation at all.

IMO calorie counting really is your best bet.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Unless you start eating a lot more vegetables and lean proteins in your diet, it's going to be challenging for you.
    Also, do a lot more investigation on the 5:2 diet. The 2 reduced calorie days are not consecutive so doing that on weekends isn't how its done. Also, those reduced calorie days really need to be planned out in advance knowing exactly what you are going to eat, otherwise trying to wing it, is ridiculously hard. You have to eat low calorie, yet filling and satiating foods.