Insulin resistant-need help to know how much carbs

Options
Hey I wanted to say first, I am new.

I did my goals and fitnesspal recommended this:

Calories 1260
Carbohydrates 158 g 50 %
Fat 42 g 30 %
Protein 63 g 20 %

However I am not atypical female with a normal 'diet' I have pcos and insulin resistant. I have lowered my carb intake*I dont count calories due to the fact it stresses me out which throws off my hormones* I use a small dinner salad plate- I eat three meals,2 snacks per day with water. I have cut out all forms of sugar,processed foods and drinks. I thought since I eat more protein, i thought the goals were a little too high.

I am unclear the minimum amount of carb intake. I want to have a balanced lifestyle. I also make sure to work out 10 mins per day(which is either weights,or cardio soon resistance bands) this is so i can get in the habit of moving. I have lost 10-12 pounds since christmas. I weigh 249.2 now.

is there are any females who have the same hormone imbalance? or anyone to give some good tips of ratios? thank you

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. Several of us do on here. I find that if I exercise about 45 min a day and eat between 100 and 150g of carbs a day, I can lose well and my energy and appetite levels are good, as long as my portions are appropriate for a calorie deficit.

Just curious, though. Counting calories will stress you out, but counting carbs won't? It's the same process. I pay attention to calories, carbs, and fiber and don't find it too difficult. It's like a game of Tetris. :)
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    This would be a question you need to ask your doctor because it has medical components. We don't know the details of your condition and it could be dangerous to ask unqualified individuals. See your doctor.
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track thinking you might need to reduce carbs. Unfortunately, most doctors and nutritionists still advise to eat a standard american (high carb/low fat) diet. Please consider researching a LCHF (low carb, high fat diet) for PCOS. Some doctors are telling their patients about it but not all. I have read a lot of testimonies of weight loss and hormonal healing from other women with PCOS. Some becoming pregnant within months of starting eating LCHF, when they could not become pregnant otherwise.
  • ashluv2sing
    ashluv2sing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am the same. Just recently started following a plan called the Metabolism Miracle as it has helped one of my friends tremendously. Today is day 2 on the plan so its early for me, but I have high hopes that this will help with my insulin resistance.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    It's true that many doctors don't really know what to do with us, nutritionally speaking. So listen, but also do your own research. A moderate, smart plan will likely be more successful than an extreme one. Something like Paleo or Primal might be up your alley, if you're looking for specific guidance. Www.marksdailyapple.com. Excellent source of info.
  • lwilson413
    lwilson413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am considered insulin resistant after having gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy. My doctor recommends between 125-150 carbs a day with at least 30 minutes of exercise each day. I would check with your doctor because your needs might be different.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I have lowered my carb intake*I dont count calories due to the fact it stresses me out which throws off my hormones* I use a small dinner salad plate- I eat three meals,2 snacks per day with water. I have cut out all forms of sugar,processed foods and drinks. I thought since I eat more protein, i thought the goals were a little too high.

If you don't want to count calories (which is totally fine) why are you using MFP? To count carbs?
    I am unclear the minimum amount of carb intake.

There is none. You can set your macro targets however you like, but they all are geared to the calories, so I don't know how helpful that is to you. But if you want to set them go choose the option other than guided set up and put in your desired percentages. I think MFP's protein number is too low for me and like somewhat lower carbs, so I did that, and lots of people do -- percentages can be changed about as there are numerous perfectly healthy options.

As for a balanced diet, I think what you pick within the categories vs. percentages is more important, certainly for fat and carbs. So I'd continue eating plenty of vegetables and some other nutrient dense carbs that you enjoy but as I understand it for IR you'd make sure you eat carbs with fiber, fat, and protein (or some combination of those). That said, I'd rely on your doctor or ask for a referral to a registered dietitian for more specific numbers, although there are definitely people on MFP who have been successful while having PCOS.

Good job on your results so far!
  • moondustdreams
    moondustdreams Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM:

I didnt start to count carbs til today(a little). I was just curious if there was a specific amount for those with pcos compared to those who aren't IR/pcos. I found it high for me since I dont work out much yet. I do find counting stressful but apart of pcos is managing stress. So when I asked mainly for future reference when I do take that step(I did a little today) For me it's overwhelming changing one's lifestyle to another.

I eat paleo types of foods. Google has been a good friend to tell me what high GL to avoid. Thank you :)

Thank you for the input!

Allie2girls:

Thank you for the feedback! I would see a need to get more carbs if i was super active. I read activity helps insulin. and I can only manage little at a time. I will look into that and hopefully my dr will know more. <3 thanks again!

ashluv2sing:
    Good Luck to you! I have mostly following whole foods/clean foods/paleo type of foods. I have still more learning to go for recipes and such. Thank you, ill check it out. appreciate your feedback.

iwilson413:
    Thanks. i will :)

lemurcat12:
    from dec to a few days ago i wasn't. I just signed up and i was curious what my goals were gonna be. I am completely new at this so i had some questions.

thank you for the help. much appreciated. Ill talk to my dr. hopefully she can either provide info or refer me to a nutritionist.

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I appreciate it alot.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and exercise will cure the insulin resistance, even a fairly small improvement in both helps alot.