Help with abdomen distension?

Options
I made an appointment with my doctor but the soonest he can see me is Feb 14th.

Basically, what foods can help me cut down on bloating/abdomen distension?

This has been ongoing for a couple of weeks to the point I just can't eat because I feel full despite not eating anything or very much. I've been having nausea and vomiting as well. I also increased badly in weight to the point I gained stretch marks on my stomach which is not only embarrassing but it's also making me want to cry.

I drink plenty of water, I start out my day drinking one bottle (16.9 fl oz), another before lunch, and another before I go to bed. (Of course I drink water in between as well).

I don't drink soda or juices. I may have the occasional cup of tea but normally I don't add any sugar. My diet hasn't changed at all, if anything it's been getting better.

I have been taking over the counter medications to help but I'm worried that I'm taking them too much and they still don't help with the bloating/distension/tightness I'm feeling in my abdomen.

Just, can anyone help me before I break down? These stretchmarks were the last straw, especially since I already have them on my hips from growth when I was a kid, on my stomach is just making me more insecure.

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    With the distension, nausea and vomiting I would try to get in to the doctor sooner than the 14th. Can you try to get an emergency appointment or get on the call list if someone else cancels?
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    With the distension, nausea and vomiting I would try to get in to the doctor sooner than the 14th. Can you try to get an emergency appointment or get on the call list if someone else cancels?

It's a military hospital so kinda/not really if that makes sense. I could go to the urgent care there, but the urgent care with my hospital sucks as well and they'll only give me a look over and make sure I'm not in danger of immediately dying and tell me to make an appointment with my doctor. I'm a dependent civilian too so military kinda goes first and then everyone else afterwards cause priority.

I just want to find out some natural ways to help until then. It's just very discomforting and it's taking a huge toll on my already low self esteem.

Edit: just called to see if they can somehow get me in sooner the answer is no. Feb 14th is the soonest they can see me. So I just have to deal until then.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Are you constipated? You should have at least 1 bowel movement every day. Are you meeting your fiber requirements every day?

I would cut out ALL gluten (bread, pasta, crackers, cookies, tortillas, muffins, cereal, etc), reduce processed foods, cut out most dairy except maybe yogurt, take probiotics, eat plenty of veggies and greens, eat some dried fruit like dried apricots (unsweetened, unsulfured) or dates, drink some prune juice, have fresh whole fruit (not juice) like melon or blueberries or apples or ripe bananas... drink at LEAST 2 liters of water per day... try to get plenty of sleep and take some walks to get things moving.

That's what I would do from a natural standpoint but there could be a blockage or something more complicated than just normal bloating or bein backed up if it's lasting more than a couple days and actually causing stretch marks and vomiting so I would definitely go to the urgent care just to be sure it's not something more serious going on.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    1 possibility is a wheat allergy.
  • ArcticSero
    Options
    It worries me that this is not the result of a change in diet but you said your diet has been getting "better"- what does better mean to you? What did you change?

Also if it is a blockage it doesn't matter what you do you need to get medical intervention to fix that so if you are not having bowel movements see a doctor asap do not wait.

Normal bowel movements and better as in more fruits and vegetables than I used to eat and I cut down heavily on how much grains/red meat that I eat. I meant no change as in nothing out of the ordinary since I started my diet 2 months ago but also better than I used to eat where it was more red meat/grains and little vegetables/fruits. Could that have caused anything?

I am meeting the fiber recommendation on site but I tend to go over that usually due to the vegetables I eat.

I could go to the urgent care at my hospital but they're garbage and will just give a narcotic/some other type of pain pill to help the pain and tell me to follow up with my doctor. That or you get a huge attitude there about something minor.

I'll try to cut out more grain products, I do tend to eat cereal for breakfast and I could change that to some type of fruit salad until I can get in to see my doctor. I don't tend to eat much dairy, but I'll pick up on the yogurt then.
  • ArcticSero
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    1 possibility is a wheat allergy.

A wheat allergy so late in life? (Granted I'm not that old, 21) but could it really develop that late and so suddenly?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Are you constipated? You should have at least 1 bowel movement every day. Are you meeting your fiber requirements every day?

I would cut out ALL gluten (bread, pasta, crackers, cookies, tortillas, muffins, cereal, etc), reduce processed foods, cut out most dairy except maybe yogurt, take probiotics, eat plenty of veggies and greens, eat some dried fruit like dried apricots (unsweetened, unsulfured) or dates, drink some prune juice, have fresh whole fruit (not juice) like melon or blueberries or apples or ripe bananas... drink at LEAST 2 liters of water per day... try to get plenty of sleep and take some walks to get things moving.

That's what I would do from a natural standpoint but there could be a blockage or something more complicated than just normal bloating or bein backed up if it's lasting more than a couple days and actually causing stretch marks and vomiting so I would definitely go to the urgent care just to be sure it's not something more serious going on.

No. Don't cut gluten before testing is done. It will mess with the results of many tests. It may improve, but it may be something else you are doing and you won't know which one.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    as a military dependant you can use the walk-in urgent care clinics (like patientfirst) - many of them also function as primary care

you need to see someone sooner than the 14th - fill in an ICE form like @MamaRiss said - keep calling back for appointments to see if there are cancellations - basically bug the ever-lovin *kitten* outta them (as AD military I had to do this to get appointments before I deployed one year and it pissed me off - I ended up getting an O6 involved)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber?

Going from very little fiber to a lot all in one shot can create nasty gastro issues, but it usually hits pretty fast, not weeks or months later.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Take a look at low FODMAP in the time being. If you've had an increase in fruit and veg this could be the case.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    ArcticSero wrote: »
    It worries me that this is not the result of a change in diet but you said your diet has been getting "better"- what does better mean to you? What did you change?

Also if it is a blockage it doesn't matter what you do you need to get medical intervention to fix that so if you are not having bowel movements see a doctor asap do not wait.

Normal bowel movements and better as in more fruits and vegetables than I used to eat and I cut down heavily on how much grains/red meat that I eat. I meant no change as in nothing out of the ordinary since I started my diet 2 months ago but also better than I used to eat where it was more red meat/grains and little vegetables/fruits. Could that have caused anything?

I am meeting the fiber recommendation on site but I tend to go over that usually due to the vegetables I eat.

I could go to the urgent care at my hospital but they're garbage and will just give a narcotic/some other type of pain pill to help the pain and tell me to follow up with my doctor. That or you get a huge attitude there about something minor.

I'll try to cut out more grain products, I do tend to eat cereal for breakfast and I could change that to some type of fruit salad until I can get in to see my doctor. I don't tend to eat much dairy, but I'll pick up on the yogurt then.

Have you been staying within your calories limit? Could it be set incorrectly? It's completely possible to over eat healthy foods and gain weight. It could be actual weight gain if you're eating too much. What is your height and weight and activity level and current calorie goal? Also how are you doing on your macronutrients? Do you find yourself way over on carbs? Low in protein? Of the opposite?

Also maybe your body is having trouble with the increased fiber? Most people benefit from increased fiber but some people actually react badly. If it's that then ignore my previous advice about prune juice and dried fruit etc - but do still try taking a probiotic supplement.

Also I would cut out gluten/wheat for now just in case. I had issues with gluten my whole life and never knew what it was til I cut it out and felt better. I used to get symptoms like bloated stomach, gas, sharp stomach pains, itregular movements, lethargy, etc from consuming foods with gluten but it was in my diet multiple times a day and you don't always get the symptoms immediately after eating it and it has to be out of your system a while (like a few days to a few weeks even) before things improve so it took me a long time to figure it out.

Also look up "fodmap" online and see if anything there seems to correlate. Not all allergies are gluten- and you might be more along the lines of fodmap since you are having issues after eating healthier...

Sometimes it just takes your flora a while to adjust to a new diet. It took me a good couple weeks to a month to adjust when I increased my protein intake and all kinds of tummy distress at first, but now I'm fine.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You know really I don't think there is much you can do. Judging by what you say with the sudden bloating and other symptoms this could be something diet related or or some physical abnormality that needs to be treated. Bowel obstructions and things like that can cause sudden symptoms such as this. Try eliminating dairy and all grains. If it is an allergy to something like dairy you will see relief when you eliminate the allergen. However This could easily be a food allergy or something worse. I hope you feel better soon and I hope you get seen soon!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Also... could you be pregnant? Just a thought.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I keep going back to this and someone else already asked. Hate to ask the obvious, but......
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

That's what I first thought of-don't know if OP is a guy or girl but sure sounds like pregnancy symptoms :)
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options

That's what I first thought of-don't know if OP is a guy or girl but sure sounds like pregnancy symptoms :)

I checked and it said "Her" profile is set to private

• courtneyfabulous
    Options

It honestly does now that I re-read the original post...