Muscle milk, yes or no??

Options
I have read positive and negative reviews about muscle milk. Does anybody here use it?? I can't eat meat (I know meat isn't the only source of protein). And this seems like a really good way to get protein with low carbs. Any advice??

Replies

• mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's one of the better tasting brands and they've been around forever.

I personally don't use muscle milk because it is expensive and I have found other products that deliver just as much protein at less calories per serving.

I use EAS which will generally give you 30g protein for 170 cals. That probably the best ratio I've found that still taste ok.

I use 1-2 shakes a day to supplement. I eat mainly chicken and Greek yogurt for my protein and after awhile that gets old.

You can also get protein from beans, lentils, split peas, tofu, temphe and quinoa.

Adding shakes will make things easier but whole foods should be your first choice.

Just my two cents. Good luck!
  • andradeclothing
    andradeclothing Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I will try to look for the EAS
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    There are better and less expensive protein supplements available
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Agreed that they taste decent. But there are more affordable options. I rely heavily on shakes and bars due to my schedule. I have found many that offer between 25-30g of protein and only 1g or less of fat.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Too much junk in it for my taste. There's plenty of whey protein brands that are better quality. Optimum Nutrition is widely available and a good choice. I also like myprotein.com for the price.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Too much junk in it for my taste. There's plenty of whey protein brands that are better quality. Optimum Nutrition is widely available and a good choice. I also like myprotein.com for the price.

This. Mypro is my go to now. You can get casein and MPC from them cheaper than most brands whey, especially if you catch one of their crazy sales. Be careful though. I have like 70 lbs. of powder kicking around because of said sales. ;)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The ready to drink bottles taste miles better than the vanilla powder.
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    myprotein $60 for 10lb bag. 100 cal per serving. 20g protein per serving. Tastes great. #easymac
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've heard Muscle Milk has a high percent of heavy metals in their proteins. I've also heard other negative things that I can't exactly remember. But for these reason I have always avoided Muscle Milk.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I haven't used muscle milk (allergy to artificial sweeteners), but I like Core Power as a premade protein and Isopure Whey isolate as a powdered mix. I've found the isopure mixed with a drink of your choice (mine is chocolate milk and/or coffee) to be less expensive than the premades.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm a ready to drink muscle milk fan. Eas bothers my stomach. I also like the premade core elite okay.

Powdered stuff typically has soy. I can't do soy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of optimum nutrition or Pure protein. Muscle milk seems to clump more, and chewing clumpy powdered protein is nasty
  • mschmalfuss
    mschmalfuss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk got slammed on 'Eat This, Not That': http://www.eatthis.com/protein-powders
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Muscle Milk got slammed on 'Eat This, Not That': http://www.eatthis.com/protein-powders

They're also obvious anti-GMO, pro-organic propagandists. I'm no Muscle Milk fan, but the reasonings usually put forth on that website are beyond stupid. They heavy metals detected are well below safe levels, and their sillyassed "zomg artificial sweeteners" stuff is enough to make anyone facepalm.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I personally love muscle milk (especially the RTD bottles) because it's lactose free, has great flavor and texture, and good macros.
  • mschmalfuss
    mschmalfuss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the views they have. As I've read a number of review sites looking to make good choices I find that there aren't many cases of multiple sites agreeing. Looking over Top 10 lists doesn't even seem to have much overlap to find a consistently chosen 'winner'. There are also plenty of folks who would probably take the GMO/Organic/Artificial Sweeteners info into consideration.

It's not always easy to get the perfect combination of reasonable cost, good taste and quality ingredients into a single product that works for everyone. If that product existed, the others wouldn't need to.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    I've been using Muscle Milk Cytosport chocolate for 7 months w/o any problems. Tastes great and mixes fine w/soy milk, banana and fiber in my cheap Oster blender. I can get a 6# bag of it at Costco for just $40 or $6.67/#. Not much cheaper than that.

Can't get it cheaper at MyProtein unless it's on sale, which I did awhile back. Bought two 5 kilo bags of MyProtein stevia chocolate whey isolate for just $55 each or $5/#. Haven't seen another sale that good since but, if you can wait and are willing to buy in bulk, just keep an eye out.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    It's fine. You like it? It's fine.