New Year's resolution - vegan for one year

Options
2»

Replies

• CandaceWells223
    CandaceWells223 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks Iknewyouweretrouble, it's been easy-peasy for me so far (but then, the 200 or 300 diet starts I have made in the past have generally been super easy for the first week or two before disaster hits and I find out I have zombie-dialed Pizza Hut for yet another delivery).

Too early to tell, but I believe I will be saving money instead of blowing through more money on this diet approach, simply because formerly I used to buy so much fast food and take out.

Good luck yourself!

Pizza Hut is another pizza place where you are able to order a vegan option.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    did fine for few days because of juicing but it wasn't sustainable and so just crept back into dairy. veggie crumbles burgers and meat substitutes help so i'm off to the store to get more.

and have you tried that daiya cheese? i think i have the spelling wrong but my grocery finally started carrying it i should
    pick it up too
  • steffirox
    steffirox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    litoria wrote: »
    Hi there, I "tried" veganism for what I thought might be a little while, that was 6 years ago. ..aaaand I'm still vegan. It's good, inconvenient at worst, and can be a very healthy and ethical lifestyle choice. Have fun!

Thanks litoria!

By the way, I have already changed my mind. Not about engaging with veganism; I am still solid about that. But about my anticipation that not eating eggs will be the toughest for me. Nope, definitely going to be pizza (I love pizza, which has, in a very real and sad sense, helped to make me the man I am today).

Zizzis & Pizza Express do vegan pizza. Pizza Hut have started adding milk to the bases again but told me via Twitter it was only for a limited time (weird). Sainsburys vegan cheese works well on pizza as does violifes pizza cheese.
    And follow your hearts vegan egg is pretty cool!

Enjoy your vegan lifestyle. I've been living it 3 years and have never been happier or healthier.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks jessypug, Candace, I knewyouweretrouble and steffirox!

I had not heard of vegan eggs and will look into whether Follow Your Heart VeganEgg is available in Canada - their website suggests it might not be, yet.

I've tried daiya cheese on a vegan pizza from Panago once now (turns out daiya was developed here in Vancouver - jury is still out on how succcessful it was for me and I will be giving it a second go I am sure. I've read online reviews about daiya that range from raving about it to a spirited debate as to whether it tastes more like feet or "butt". There are some vegan pizza options in town that use nut-based cheese - I'll be giving those a try in the future.
  • sparky00721
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Week 2:

My second week went well. First real craving yesterday (hypnotized by the golden arches) but otherwise not experiencing any particular challenge eating animal product free. Did experience a day of feeling quite spacey, which I think may have been related to weight loss related issues.

Down 4.2 pounds this week to 227.4, total of 9.8 over first two weeks. I typically lose a fair bit on the first couple of weeks of a new diet - I call them my "see ya soon" pounds, 'cause I know I will be seeing them again within a couple of weeks.

New restaurant this week:

Indigo Age Cafe, indigoagecafe.com/ukrainian-food/#. Specializes in Ukranian vegan food. Owner is big into raw food, which is not an issue of any particular interest either way for me. Small operation, restaurant opens up just below street level - very interesting set up. The place smelled unbelievably good. Chatted briefly with the gracious but busy owner.

Had the Ukranian Feast - pirogues, cabbage roll, borscht, and a raw, vegan key lime pie that smell exactly right, looked really close to the real thing but whose texture did not work for me (probably the psyllium husks).

New recipe this week:

I intended to cook more this week, but was very busy and only wound up making Crispy Tofu (http://minimalistbaker.com/quick-easy-crispy-tofu/. Pretty good - seasoned with chilli powder and cumin powder, fried in coconut oil.

Goal for coming week:

Continue to work at increasing diversity of food - made some progress this week, including introducing quinoa in place of pasta and broadening the nuts and beans consumed, but a lot of room for improvement.
  • sparky00721
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I can only assume from the fact that McDonalds has released a Big Mac Bacon sandwich only after I committed to a period of veganism that the universe hates me....

Week 3:

Down 3.2 pounds this week to 224.2, total of 13 pounds over first three weeks. Enjoying the food and food preparation process.

Terra V Burger, http://www.teravburger.com/#about Burgers and paninis, vegetarian or vegan (made either way as per request). Counter person was very pleasant, but the place entirely lacks any sort of charm or quirkiness except for the painting of a cow's face. Had a vegan Barbeque Tempeh Burger - super good, so good that I spent the rest of the afternoon angry over the fact that I had never in my life tried tempeh before. Also baked yam fries with chipolte dipping sauce.

New recipe this week:

Still taking baby steps with cooking; this week's new recipe: Cauliflower Rice http://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice/ . Recipe suggests to season once cooked (soy sauce or salt/pepper are suggested). I found it tasty enough just to eat straight from the pan - I had used coconut oil to fry it and it came out with a nice flavour.

Tempeh was a new-to-me food this week. Loved it.

Oatmeal, while not an entirely new food to me, was tried again after a couple of decades. Still hate it.

Goal for coming week:

Start exercising more regularly. More accurately, just start exercising - only managed two attempts so far this week, and my gym membership fees are starting to look more like just a charitable contribution.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Love reading your thread. I'm not sure that I could do what you're doing. I live in Wisconsin, and the only other "food" that maybe comes before cheese is beer. I have wanted to try this lifestyle though - just because I'm curious. Your comments crack me up. :smile:
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    true dat big mac bacon. hang in there. tell me more about tempeh, how do you cook it?
  • sparky00721
    Options
    Thanks Jenny, that is very kind of you!!
    jennyi27 wrote: »
    I live in Wisconsin, and the only other "food" that maybe comes before cheese is beer.

lol! yep, I expect surroundings can certainly make adopting a plant-based, animal-free diet easier or harder. I believe Vancouver (BC, not WA) is quite vegetarian and vegan-friendly compared to other cities in Canada and compared to many cities in the States, and I expect that makes it easier for me to find both vegan-friendly restaurants as well as some of the new ingredients I have been discovering since adopting a vegan diet (broader range of oils and nut butters, tempeh, etc.)

I recall a number of years ago when a musician from the Cdn province of Alberta (with its significant cattle industry) began promoting vegetarianism and animal rights. Her music was essentially banned from a number of country music stations, and the provincial minister of agriculture became involved to express that it was "extremely unfortunate" and a betrayal that she had "decided to side with animal rightists."

In Vancouver, our mayor Gregor Robertson (dubbed "Moonbeam" by some, unfairly) is publically supportive of vegetarianism, including the annual vegan Veg Fest festival.

Best wishes with wherever your eating direction may go. For what it may be worth, I was pretty sure I would not stick with plant-based eating for long, but it has proven surprisingly easy (so far).

• sparky00721
    edited January 2017
    Options
    thanks Iknewyouweretrouble, the McDonald's craving has passed. Craving take out Chinese food currently (sesame chicken, sweet and sour pork, and a mix of stale rice and MSG), but pretty sure I can ride it out.

I took the easy way out with my first tempeh introduction - in a restaurant burger prepared by someone who obviously knew what they were doing. I believe it is Indonesian in origin and awful looking in appearance; it is a soy product similar to extra firm tofu, but even more firm. Cooked it up with peanut butter, soy, lime and sesame oil; turned out only mediocre. As tempeh is fermented, unlike tofu, I believe it is considered to be healthier form of soy.
  • sparky00721
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Week 4:

Down 2.6 pounds this week to 221.6, total of 15.8 pounds over first four weeks. This is faster than intended and going forward I would like, at my current (temporary!) weight, to keep it around 2 pounds/week, so perhaps my body is working toward that already.

Over the past week, average daily calories of 1412 (below my target of 1500, but honestly, I just have not felt the need to eat more), and an average macro ratio of 52% carb / 25% fat / 23% protein. Averaging 41g fibre per day, well above target of 30g.

Meet on Main (http://meetonmain.com/), a fun, very comfortable vegan restaurant with really friendly staff. It would be a good place to go for a beer and snacks with friends. I had the Main burger, description not provided of its composition. The bun and condiments were tasty, the vegan patty was to my taste sort of average (but perhaps I was still spoiled from the delicious tempeh burger from last week). Fries were great, and I had a taste of another dish, the Noodle-y Thai bowl ("rice noodles, shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, bean sprouts, marinated tofu, tossed in our almond Thai sauce, finished with fresh cilantro, sesame seeds, cashews, scallions & a wedge of lime") which was ridiculously delicious. Will be going back for that again soonish.

New recipe this week:

Marinated Peanut Tempeh (http://minimalistbaker.com/marinated-peanut-tempeh-7-ingredients/). Turned out a little below where I had expected, but that may just have been me or the tempeh I was able to source (which was already pre-flavoured), so I will give it another try. Did not care to eat it on its own, but good in the "Goop" which is my standard go-to food preparation: some commercially prepared spaghetti sauce (currently using Newmans's Own), a plant-based protein (canned beans, lentils, tofu or now tempeh), plus all the vegetables I have time to chop and throw it. Super easy to prepare, and it winds up tasting good through the day, even without re-heating.

Goal for coming week:

I was able to work out 5 of the last 7 days, dividing each workout into cardio (stationary bike, elliptical and swimming badly), and resistance training (weights - mostly keiser weight machines with some dumbbells - as well as a limited range of calisthenics), plus 15 minutes or so of stretching.

Goal this coming week: to expand my range of weight lifting and body weight calisthenics.
  • Snickety9505
    Snickety9505 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there;

I've been vegetarian for most of my life and now eat vegan 75% of the time (I have trouble giving up eggs). If you're feeling low energy at all, you could try looking into a vitamin B12 supplement. My doctor told me that there are very few non- animal sources of B12 (nutritional yeast has some- fun vegan food that sort of replicates cheese). Supposedly even with adults who eat meat, most people do not have optimal B12 levels.

Anyways, Im glad I'm not the only one who struggles with tempeh. I'm not sure if it's just me or if its the recipes that I've been trying, but every time I make it Im underwhelmed. Tofu is my go to :).

Some sneaky ways to get in protein to foods are to blend up silken tofu or red lentils; totally flavourless on the tofu part but adds some extra oomph to something like butternut squash soup.

Good luck on your vegan journey! If you ever need recipes or cookbook recommendations, I have lots and love cooking so add me if you like.
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Glad it's going well! My two fave vegan recipe sources: Thug Kitchen (if you enjoy your food with extra cursing), and Oh She Glows (which is by a far more polite Canadian lady!) :)
  • sparky00721
    Options
    Thanks ihearmorevoices, I am intending to spend some time looking more closely at the nutritional composition of my intake, to make sure this manner of eating is healthy for me, and intend to focus on individual issues in turn.

Iron is next on my list of things to look at, but your reference to B12 is a timely reminder. I will be looking into whether any of my foods are B12 fortified - I know my almond milk is, but I don't consume enough of that to meet my daily recommended value. My guess is that a supplement would be warranted.

Ideally what I would like to do is improve my diet as much as possible over the next three or four months, and then seek a comprehensive nutritional analysis (ie. based on blood testing), assuming those things are available to the public, to actually determine nutritional sufficiency of my diet in relation to how my body processes and utilizes food.
  • sparky00721
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Glad it's going well! My two fave vegan recipe sources: Thug Kitchen (if you enjoy your food with extra cursing), and Oh She Glows (which is by a far more polite Canadian lady!) :)

Thanks very much Bonnie! I bought one of the Thug Kitchen books (Thug Kitchen 101) last weekend and am looking forward to trying out its recipes (and taking a black felt pen to all the salty language - may need more than one felt pen). I will definitively give ohsheglows.com a try as well, thanks for the recommendation!
  • violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Question...are you steaming your tempeh before you use it in a recipe? I normally steam it first for about 15 minutes to get the bitterness out. I think you can also just simmer it in water for a few minutes to do the same.