Stretch Marks

Options
carmenf21
carmenf21 Posts: 40 Member
Do stretch marks and cellulite go away when you lose weight? or will they always be there?

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    From all the research I've done, afraid that they are battle scars from weight gain and while you can camoflage them or get surgery to lessen the appearance, one you get them, they are yours for good :-(
  • Casey9968
    Casey9968 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure but i don't think so, ive seen people lose a lot of weight and still have them. There are like scars though and i've heard if you take vit e cream and apply it to them it will help them look diminished. hope this helps
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately not! Stretchmarks are skin damage, so exercise doesn't really help. There are lightening creams to make them less visible but they don't really go away. Cellulite is deeeep in your skin and while exercise can help reduce it, that also never really goes away. There are caffeine creams that assist in breaking it up but you have to continually use it. (I used some for about a month before my vacation with diet&exercise and it helped, but once I got home I stopped using it and it mostly came back.) I hope that helps some! :)
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Options
    My cellulite decreased, but i am young (Im not sure how old you are, lol) but my stretch marks stayed... they got smaller- but not back to normal... it sucks. But it's a reminder of how weight can affect the outside as well as the inside of your body. I wear them proudly. :]
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My cellulite decreased, but i am young (Im not sure how old you are, lol) but my stretch marks stayed... they got smaller- but not back to normal... it sucks. But it's a reminder of how weight can affect the outside as well as the inside of your body. I wear them proudly. :]

That's awesome :)
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know I had cellulite (but my boyfriend did -- he was keeping it a secret from me). Since I started losing, he said that I've lost the cellulite on my backside. I'm not sure I believe him because I never even knew I had it! I'm also pretty young (22) so maybe my skin still has enough elasticity to fight off the cellulite.

As for stretch marks ... not going anywhere and I've actually noticed MORE! :(
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Stretch marks are pretty much there to stay, although they do fade. You can buy pure cocoa butter and use it religiously and that definitely helps.

As far as cellulite goes, I noticed that a lot of it is gone from the back of my legs after I lost this chunk of weight.
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    Stretchmarks never go away.
    They go on a scale like this basically

Angry red/purple - a lighter red/purple - a pinkish colour - whitish.

When they get to white they can be hard to notice and scar like, but still there.

Surgery doesn't even make them disappear, just reduces the pigment colour.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks don't go away. I think cellulite must as it is just fat, like any other. I've never had it, so not sure. I have thousands of stretch marks, though.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My cellulite is gone, but sorry to say we get to keep those stretch marks. Im 40 years old. I've had them for 21 years since I gave birth to my oldest son. I gained alot of weight. Not a smart choice. But what is done is done.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Im happy with me
  • DulceDollie
    DulceDollie Posts: 115
    Options
    For cellulite the best thing is probably just weight loss. But even the skinniest people have cellulite! So try not to obsess over it. As far as stretch marks go...I've tried a lot of different things, as it looked like I was mauled by a bear after I had my son. Time and genetics are probably the best medicine for stretch marks. I have also tried a multitude of creams (none of which were successful). But surprisingly, I recently started taking Biotin supplements so my hair would grow faster. I found that it diminished my stretch marks. You might want to try that. And a fake tanner always helps camouflage them. Best of luck!
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My stretch marks from pregnancies have gotten a LOT less noticable, but they are still there. My youngest just turned two, so I am guessing they aren't going to go away anymore than they have! :/
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I heard from a little bird that if you put Preparation H on them twice a week they will go away (i was a little skeptical but it totally makes sense) :) I began testing this today and I hope it works!!
  • nellymonkey
    Options
    Streatch marks dont go away but are more noticeable whenn you loose weight or after giving birth when the skin has been streched this leaves loose thin skin like scars they never fully go away but i would recomend a video workout its very slow but it uses slight movements to tighten and tone your body this will not make streatch marks dissapear but it does eventually lift and decrase the noticability of them its called callenetics i think its great its the only thing that has helped me get my figure back after having 3 kids .... but dont feel alone im 35 and i have streatch marks and i know lots of ladies and men that have them to :)
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My son, who is very skinny, had a bunch appear on his back when he had a huge growth spurt in height this past spring. The dermatologist prescribed Retin A and it has helped with the color but he will always have them. :( I've read that Vitamin E oil and taking Vitamins A and D will also help repair the skin.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Cellulite will go away with fat burning and toning exercise (can't get rid of them as well, sometimes at all with just losing weight with eating less and no exercise) stretch marks will lighten up, but rarely go away
  • carmenf21
    carmenf21 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank You Alll!!!!!! By the way I just turned 20 years old! :) And well about my stretch marks I guess I am stuck with them for ever :( But I will do my best to have my cellulite diminish... :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!