Binge eating

Options

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My hubby likes junk food, too. I labelled all of his 'goodies' with a big "J" (his initial) -- just to remind me that it's "his stuff". It seems kind of stupid, when I write that down, but it does make me pause. Luckily, my husband's addictions are a brand of peanut butter that I don't like, and pie (cake, yes... pie, no).

Another bit of advice to control the binges. When a binge strikes, and you're grabbing something to eat, SLOW DOWN. Eat it slowly. Savor every salt granule and gram of sugar. Take the time to enjoy the treat. You might be able to trick your subconscious into thinking you ate more than you really did.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I too struggle with binge eating. It's not just junk food, it's anything and everything that is available. Potato chips? I'll eat the entire family sized bag. Ice cream? Why not eat half the carton? Better yet, half now, and the other half in about 2 hours. I meal prepped lunches for the week? But I'm hungry now, so I'll just eat one... Still hungry, so maybe two. Craving something sweet? How about some toast with peanut butter, and add some chocolate chips on top. What's this, I got pizza for dinner? You better believe there will not be any left over to take for lunch tomorrow.

It's a huge problem for me. I can go for days to weeks without a significant binge, but on those days where I just can't for the life of me feel full, I will eat until I feel ill. Then I'll sit on the couch and binge more (Netflix), and feel terrible. Or just go to bed, full of shame.

I am still working on this. A tactic that has worked for me in the past was to post a note on my refrigerator that says "Are you actually hungry, or are you just bored?"
    I would see the note and then have to think about if I really was hungry, or just grazing because I had nothing better to do. I will be re-implementing this strategy when I get home. I have also started writing reminders in my day planner. This week's says "you're worth it," and features my goal weight in my "don't forget" box. I'm hoping these little mindful moments help me, and I hope you can take something from this thread that will help for you!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    Last week I ate over 2200 in 1h

Do you know how many calories total you ate that day? I only ask because over the holiday, I ate 6,000 calories one day. I didn't see it as a binge though because I didn't have any negative feelings attached to it. I just ate loads of food because I hadn't eaten my mom's cooking in over a year. So, I agree with Look its Kriss. Was it a binge or are you concerned that you have a disorder?

I ate about 3000 total that day because the bung happened about noon, so restricted myself afterwards.
    I suppose what I class as a binge rather than just over eating for a reason is how it happens. I wasn't even hungry, but as soon as the idea had came into my head it is very difficult to not do it. My husband and son had went out and I ate anything I could get my hands on that didn't require preparation, so crisps, chocolate, biscuits etc. I only stopped when I felt physically ill. When I've eaten a similar number of calories because I have been out for a meal and had dessert, wine etc, I don't feel the shame and physical pain that I do after a binge

I don't know enough about binge eating disorder to know whether this is normal or whether it is indicative of a disorder.

Yes, I have that same overwhelming urge to eat during hormonal times every 6-8 weeks. I will range similar to your intake at that time. However, mine is only one day and I am back to eating my normal intake.

How long have you struggled with this issue? I don't know much about it either. However, if the behavior continues and it begins to impact you mentally, emotionally, and/or physically, maybe you should look further into speaking with someone about it.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    I agree leejoyce, This little mind tricks are nice if you just have a slight lapse in compulsion from time to time but when you truly have a mental disorder... nothing stops you... and honestly, i could of filled my apartment with nothing but carrot sticks.. either im going to eat and eat those until their gone or im going to walk to the store and buy a bag of chips

I threw away two deep freezers 1 small freezer and a fridge full of food and everything that was in my cupboards right down to the mustard and salt and pepper... and still didn't go a day without food and i still managed to comsume 2500-3000 calories in one meal. and you eat this food and you feel nothing but empty.. you pray that you could just sleep and sleep and not wake up so you dont have to eat anymore.. you try so hard to avoid anything that has food attached to it but its everywhere... its such a desperate helpless feeling, i dont even feel like i am describing how i felt properly at all

Yes, this is my understanding of what happens with BED. I'm so glad you received treatment. I think I recall that you are in Canada and seeing a doctor takes forever. Looks like you finally were able to receive treatment. You still look great!
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    Thank you! It really is a daily struggle. I feel like such a failure when I give in

What do you constitute as a binge in terms of calories?

I was going to ask. For some people it's just going over daily calories. Binge eating disorder is usually where you are eating a days worth or more in a few hours.

But in either case seeing a professional could help.

From my understanding BED is more than that. I think it also has to do with the guilt, shame and other negative emotions attached with over eating. I also think that it impacts other aspects of your life as well, (i.e. personal/professional).

If it's just as simple as eating a days worth of food in a few hours, then I have it too. :) When those uncontrollable hormonal urges to eat hit, I'm a hoover vacuum and I don't stop eating until I'm about to burst. Thankfully, it only lasts one day.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    aflane wrote: »
    My hubby likes junk food, too. I labelled all of his 'goodies' with a big "J" (his initial) -- just to remind me that it's "his stuff". It seems kind of stupid, when I write that down, but it does make me pause. Luckily, my husband's addictions are a brand of peanut butter that I don't like, and pie (cake, yes... pie, no).

Another bit of advice to control the binges. When a binge strikes, and you're grabbing something to eat, SLOW DOWN. Eat it slowly. Savor every salt granule and gram of sugar. Take the time to enjoy the treat. You might be able to trick your subconscious into thinking you ate more than you really did.

I'm sorry, but again. I think these are tricks for overeating. Not for someone with a true BED.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    There are therapists who say they know about binge eating disorders and when you see them, they are actually not helpful. You have to find someone who specializes in binge eating disorders.
    A medicine to help with BED? You mean phen-phen or these days it is only just one of those medications they sell now? It truly is an extremely hard thing to get over. I am still struggling every day after 45+ years of it.
    Therapy, nutritionist/dietician/Overeaters Anonymous, books (though my OA sponsor told me to dump my nutritionist because neither one believes in each others ways of doing things.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I binge (eat & drink!) on the weekends, but not during the week. It's easy not to do it during the week: I don't have any foods in the house to binge on, and I don't eat foods at work that I didn't bring myself.

I also eat less during the week to allow for weekend hedonism.

If you don't want to eat it, just stop buying it.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    To the original poster...I feel very similar to you and many others on this thread. I have anxiety and depression issues and have about 30 pounds to lose. I find myself doing fine all day and then completely blow it at night. I have discussed this with my therapist so many times and it seems like I binge when I am feeling depleted in other areas--tired, stressed, kid issues--so "hungry" for something that is not food, like rest or control or physical contact or something else I can't put my finger on. I have been able to do a little better with a few tricks--one, I set my fitbit to buzz me at 9pm so I get up and go to bed. That helps--if I am better rested I am able to make better choices all day long plus I am not up late inhaling anything that is not moving faster than me. Second, I have a ton of fancy flavors of green tea that I really like and I brew a big mug in the evening and sip on that. Third, I have a liter bottle full of water that I drink each day and I often have to finish it up at night, so that helps too. Now, to be clear--I do NOT have it licked, these tricks do not work every night. Also, allowing myself to have a reasonable sized treat helps--getting rid of the "all of nothing" thinking--either I can eat ALL of the cookies or NONE of the cookies--it's a ridiculous way to think but there it is--I do it all the time and am working on it.
    I would encourage you to talk to a therapist, though, even if you have had poor experiences in the past. I mean, just because you went to a movie you didn't like doesn't mean you never go to another movie! Try again, if not to help with the binging directly, but with the shame you feel. That's no good either!
  • fourtherecord
    fourtherecord Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone so much for taking the time to read and offer advice. I truly appreciate it.
    I am in the UK so it is difficult to get a doctors appointment and difficult to get prescriptions for something not straightforward. I will try to get an appointment for my next time off work (3 and a half weeks) and see what they say. As I am not very overweight I'm not sure how seriously they will take me.

In the mean time I will just keep trying as am already doing. I used to off set my binges with fasts, but am trying now to follow a more healthy attitude to eating. I am currently at about 1000 calories today, so can have something else to eat before bed.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I would like to gently point out that 1000 calories per day is lower than MFP recommends for any woman - they recommend at least 1200 calories per day. Perhaps your binging is triggered because you are well and truly hungry? Maybe moderating your calorie intake upward will give you some extra ammunition in this battle. I have no problem admitting that I am a binger in some instances, but I do not believe I have a disorder - just unhealthy habits, and that I am not an expert in these matters.
  • fourtherecord
    fourtherecord Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I would like to gently point out that 1000 calories per day is lower than MFP recommends for any woman - they recommend at least 1200 calories per day. Perhaps your binging is triggered because you are well and truly hungry? Maybe moderating your calorie intake upward will give you some extra ammunition in this battle. I have no problem admitting that I am a binger in some instances, but I do not believe I have a disorder - just unhealthy habits, and that I am not an expert in these matters.

Thank you, but I will eat something to bring me up to at least 1200, I was just happy I hadn't binged today. Sometimes I have started a binge when I have felt hungry, but really I is a different, empty kind of feeling, and it takes a lot of food to get rid of it
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

she said she is going to eat again before bed, that will take her above 1200...

Yes I read that but we dont know how much over 1000 calories she is eating, and if she stuggles as she describes, perhaps it would be beneficial for her to eat the maximum calories to lose .5 lbs per week, so she doesnt feel so hungry or deprived. I dont think the OP shared her stats, so this suggestion may indeed be moot, but its worth looking at.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with BED for about 20 years. I take medicine for it, but it's still not enough to stop it. I've been to therapy, talked about it to professionals, and I still struggle with it. I find the best way to help me is to lose as slowly as I can so I have more calories. Knowing I can eat so many calories let's me fit in foods that I couldn't normally eat, then binge on because I didn't have the calories.