5K... New Runner

Options
I have always wanted to run a 5k... After nearly 10 years of having it in the back of my mind, I decided to just register for a race in May... I have never really ran before. I downloaded to C25K app on my phone but looking for tips from people with experience! Feel free to add me if you are a new runner and want to go on the journey together!!

Replies

• Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    C25k is a great app. It has worked for a lot of us.

Most important tip is to run slowly, more slowly than you think you should. The biggest mistake of new runners is to try to race all the time. You shouldn't be pushing yourself to your limit. Take it easy and slow.

Second, don't be afraid to repeat days or even weeks. The plan may be 9 weeks, but some people take a lot longer than that to finish.

Third, if the first week seems too hard, you may need to start by walking. Try doing a few weeks of brisk walking for 30-45 minutes. Then try the one minute runs.

Fourth, don't get overly intimidated by the sudden jumps in time/distance. They sound impossible when you're starting out, but you'll surprise yourself by what you can do. Being able to do the increase is very empowering.

Finally, have fun.

Sound advice :-)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Most important tip is to run slowly, more slowly than you think you should. The biggest mistake of new runners is to try to race all the time. You shouldn't be pushing yourself to your limit. Take it easy and slow.

Second, don't be afraid to repeat days or even weeks. The plan may be 9 weeks, but some people take a lot longer than that to finish.

Third, if the first week seems too hard, you may need to start by walking. Try doing a few weeks of brisk walking for 30-45 minutes. Then try the one minute runs.

Fourth, don't get overly intimidated by the sudden jumps in time/distance. They sound impossible when you're starting out, but you'll surprise yourself by what you can do. Being able to do the increase is very empowering.

Finally, have fun.
    This is awesome.

In addition to the slowing down bit: you should be able to carry a conversation while you're running. If you're too gassed to talk, slow down. It's a good way to gauge how you're doing.
    It may be painfully slow at the start, but you'll progress quicker than you think if you put in the work.

Woo good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Use C25K and follow the tips above. Do C25k 2-3 x per week, no more often than that!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I used C25K and completed it, but I actually can't run a 5K! It's still a great program.

My C25K app was for "time" and not "distance" so while I ran for 30 minutes straight at the end of the program, it was not quite 5K. That's because I run *really* slow. But heck, I was 52 when I started it and had never been a runner so I'm good with it. Now that I'm finished with the app, I am working on getting my speed and endurance up on my own to see if I can make an actual 5K.

The advice above is excellent. Take it REALLY slow.

@jkwolly
    same, here but I did complete the 5k distance a few months later. Focus on endurance and distance, don't worry about speed, it will come when your body is ready.
  • spas2k
    spas2k Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You also want to learn to run properly. Avoid landing on your heels as you land. Try to land more on the mid sole, towards the front of your foot. To accomplish this, the contact point should be below your body rather than out in front of your body. This will make the foot act like a shock absorber which will save your body/knees from impact. There are plenty of good videos out there on proper running technique I'd check out prior to running that way you'll hopefully avoid injuring yourself.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    First, I think signing up for the event: Awesome idea. I think having an event on the schedule is a huge motivator. Expect to have a lot of fun. The air/energy will be amazing. All ages, sizes of people will participate.

For the C25k, feel free to start ahead of week 1 if you think you should, or to repeat weeks if/when you think you should. I think the important thing for starting is to just get into a routine of walking/running several times a week. Have fun with it.

Since you have until May, you'll be fine. As others have said, don't worry about speed. WHen you reach the end of the program, if your distance is not yet a 5k, then progress by having 2 'short' runs each week of about 1.5-2 miles, and then have a long run day (once a week) where you add a little each week. You decide what works for you. Could be 30-60 seconds added or more.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    C25k is great. Enjoy the race - they are so much fun even if you can't run the whole thing. Lots of people walk. The crowd will pump you up though so you might do better than you expect. Just have a good fun attitude and don't put a lot of pressure on yourself.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    you always want to start off slowly and try not focus so much on speed right away. Do some walks and mix in some interval runs once you have enough stamina. Always important to drink lots of water and to stretch before and after. Load up on some carbs the night before the run. You'll do fine.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The greatest part about running my first 5K: losing track of my time, adrenaline takes over, BAM! I finish with a GREAT time! You can do it!
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I joined parkrun back in 2015 as they do free to join 5k's in many major parks around the UK and in lots of other countries. I'd never run in my life before but thought I would just give it a go. The first couple were a bit challenging and in truth I probably walked about a third of each run, but after that run I realised it was my mind giving up not my body. Since that day I have run another 62 5k's without ever feeling the need to stop. I have to say I have never been very fast but I do love getting up and just going for it. I have also ran several 10k's with friends. You look fit and healthy, I'd just go out and give it a go. C25K is a good program, I didn't have the patience to do it. Enjoy :-)
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Finally, have fun.

All of this. ESPECIALLY the going slow part. Think "jog" not "run".
  • kajorma
    kajorma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used C25K and completed it, but I actually can't run a 5K! It's still a great program.

My C25K app was for "time" and not "distance" so while I ran for 30 minutes straight at the end of the program, it was not quite 5K. That's because I run *really* slow. But heck, I was 52 when I started it and had never been a runner so I'm good with it. Now that I'm finished with the app, I am working on getting my speed and endurance up on my own to see if I can make an actual 5K.

So, I am back on C25K again.
    One of the things that I am trying to do this time around is make it so that my 30 minute run is actually 5k when I get there.
    ....Which means I set the treadmill at 6mph. I had previously been jogging at around 4.
    I haven't read this advice before, and maybe I am making a mistake with that. I can tell you that 6mph is a *very* challenging pace for me to keep up for any length of time, and there is *absolutely no way* I could hold a conversation during it.

Anyhow, to the OP, this is a great program. I've started and stopped something like 4 times, but each time has had a lot of positive impact on my health. I just have to make myself stick to the program for once. (:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    kajorma wrote: »

One of the things that I am trying to do this time around is make it so that my 30 minute run is actually 5k when I get there.
    ....Which means I set the treadmill at 6mph. I had previously been jogging at around 4.
    I haven't read this advice before, and maybe I am making a mistake with that. I can tell you that 6mph is a *very* challenging pace for me to keep up for any length of time, and there is *absolutely no way* I could hold a conversation during it.

Anyhow, to the OP, this is a great program. I've started and stopped something like 4 times, but each time has had a lot of positive impact on my health. I just have to make myself stick to the program for once. (:
    Speed comes over time. The longer you go and the more distance you do, then the speed will come.

If you find 6mph too fast, slow down. You will eventually hit the 5km in 30 minutes!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to go 6 mph if that is not an easy pace for you.

When I did c25k I went by distance rather than time. i.e. in week 4 it says jog 1/4 mile or 3 minutes, then jog 1/2 mile or 5 minutes. I would do the distance, at my own 5.4 mph pace. In week 7 it says to jog 2.5 miles or 25 minutes, I would do the 2.5 miles, even though it took me 30 minutes. My daily workouts took a bit longer that way, but I wasn't trying to force myself to do a pace that was too fast for me. That's a good way to get injured.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Another new runner here! I'm taking a couch to 5k class, and it's fun to run with a group! I also practice with the app on my own. OP, I've sent you a friend request. I'm 48 and have NEVER run before, so if I can do this, you definitely can!
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    kajorma wrote: »

I don't recommend this plan. To run a 5K in 30 minutes you don't need speed, you need endurance. You absolutely don't want to be running all your runs at a "very challenging" pace. That is a recipe for injury. Even very advanced runners do most of their runs at an easy pace.

Once you get to 30 minutes of jogging at a conversational pace, if that's not 5K yet, keep gradually increasing the duration and/or frequency of your runs. Your "conversational pace" will get faster as you get more fit.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k at age 53 last fall. I began running short distances and gradually increased distance/time. So I didn't follow c25k.

I attribute completing my first and subsequent 5Ks to a variety of regular strength and cardio workouts (in addition to running) the key. Overall fitness helped me get there more quickly than I ever would have imagined.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    A lot of great advice here. Another thing that I haven't seen is regarding a treadmill. If you are using a treadmill, you will benefit from setting the incline to 1-2% to best mimic outside running. Having it at 0% is easier, but you may find your pace suffering when it's race day, which comes as a shock to some. Good luck. :+1: