5K... New Runner

Options
2»

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    spasm2k wrote: »
    You also want to learn to run properly. Avoid landing on your heels as you land. Try to land more on the mid sole, towards the front of your foot. To accomplish this, the contact point should be below your body rather than out in front of your body. This will make the foot act like a shock absorber which will save your body/knees from impact. There are plenty of good videos out there on proper running technique I'd check out prior to running that way you'll hopefully avoid injuring yourself.

Proper running does NOT mean changing the way your foot lands. All that does is moves the injury risk from one area to another. Do you really want to mess with your achillies???

Short and quick strides. Keep your body straight and swing your arms with your hands near your hips. Everything else will take care of itself.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of running! Keep your eye on that first race and the training will go by before you know it.

Great advice above about going slower than you think you should. C25K says if you can run any slower you are running too fast. Like others have said, speed will come later.

I will offer differing opinions on two points from above. I ran over 700 injury free miles last year and every stride landed heel-first. Just do what seems natural to you. Second, I run on the treadmill often and never use an incline. As far as the lack of an incline causing a slower race pace, the excitement of the event will take care of that.

Have fun!
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Also invest in a good pair of running shoes!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Best of luck! I've done exactly the same, signed up for an event at the end of April...but can't actually run!

Day 1 of week 2 of C25K was yesterday, all going well. One bit of advice I did get from someone was to try and extend the program afterwards yourself so that you're actually running for 40 minutes instead of 30. As said above, the 30 minute pace may be a bit optimistic for a beginner apparently.
    I also got a gait analysis carried out and got fitted with some running shoes. Expensive, but apparently worth it.
    Whether that is a bit overkill for a 5K I have no idea, but I've always wanted to be able to run so I'm planning on taking it a lot further in time.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I had to do the app, repeating days as needed and ONLY 3-4 days a week (every other day)- DO NOT try to run daily as a beginner (could run for 30 min but nowhere close to 5K)... and then I joined a running "group"- we ran outside on a track, basically another 8 weeks of walk/runs, and then we ran a local 5K as a group! I stopped running after a couple of years, but am about to start over again, so I know what it's like!

[*] Follow the instructions the app gives you :-)
    [*] Get fitted for good running shoes/insoles if you need them to prevent injuries.
    [*] Walk if you need to.
    [*] GO SLOOOWWW. You will get faster naturally as your body adapts and your lungs & legs get stronger.
    [*] Weather permitting (no ice!) but running in rain & snow are ok- get outside as often as you can, because a treadmill is not like running outside. You will feel like you're running in mud outside compared to the TM!

Notes:
    When I started, I was 227lbs (5'4"), like mid-thirties, and only "ran" @ like a 2.3 on my treadmill. Even then I could walk faster than that, but I had start somewhere! After ~ 16 weeks when we ran the first race, I think my time was about 45 minutes. Most everyone was faster than me, and it DOES NOT matter! People will still be finishing around the 60 min mark, sometimes even longer, depending on hills, etc. Sooo, I think pretty much anyone can do it if they want to :-)
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    spasm2k wrote: »
    You also want to learn to run properly. Avoid landing on your heels as you land. Try to land more on the mid sole, towards the front of your foot. To accomplish this, the contact point should be below your body rather than out in front of your body. This will make the foot act like a shock absorber which will save your body/knees from impact. There are plenty of good videos out there on proper running technique I'd check out prior to running that way you'll hopefully avoid injuring yourself.

Proper running does NOT mean changing the way your foot lands. All that does is moves the injury risk from one area to another. Do you really want to mess with your achillies???

Short and quick strides. Keep your body straight and swing your arms with your hands near your hips. Everything else will take care of itself.

Thanks for this reminder for people starting out. There is NO reason to change your natural running form unless you have a very specific reason to do so, as directed by a PT or doctor. There's no "right" way to run. Personally my natural gait shreds my IT bands so I had to change it, but most people don't.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Thanks for this reminder for people starting out. There is NO reason to change your natural running form unless you have a very specific reason to do so, as directed by a PT or doctor. There's no "right" way to run. Personally my natural gait shreds my IT bands so I had to change it, but most people don't.

I changed my stride (my husband is a tri-athlete and told me how wrong it was :/ ) Not so much the heel/toe thing but that I was using this very long stride (yet I'm not in shape). I was never a runner and the only running I ever did was in middle school when they emphasized going as fast as you can.

I had to learn to take shorter strides, which then changed the way foot hit the ground. It enabled me to slow way down and my knees stopped hurting.
  • SmashitSam
    SmashitSam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When you complete the app, I encourage you to try a Park Run if there's any nearby, I did my first one last Saturday. They're worldwide, timed 5Ks and completely free! Cause there are so many people there they keep you going and motivated. Really good fun and a great way to kick off a Saturday!!
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would have never ever believed simply signing up for a 5k is the best motivation. That and tell a few likeminded people and you will be amazed!

You can do this! Good luck and relish the moment!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    Best of luck! I've done exactly the same, signed up for an event at the end of April...but can't actually run!

Day 1 of week 2 of C25K was yesterday, all going well. One bit of advice I did get from someone was to try and extend the program afterwards yourself so that you're actually running for 40 minutes instead of 30. As said above, the 30 minute pace may be a bit optimistic for a beginner apparently.
    I also got a gait analysis carried out and got fitted with some running shoes. Expensive, but apparently worth it.
    Whether that is a bit overkill for a 5K I have no idea, but I've always wanted to be able to run so I'm planning on taking it a lot further in time.

Good shoes help prevent injury, which is definitely worth the money.

Also, you don't know where your running will take you. I started C25k five years ago on a whim. Someone on a Golden Retriever forum said she was going to do it, and wanted people to do it with her. So I said okay, I'll try. When I finished and ran my first 5k, I discovered how much fun racing can be, even when you're as slow as I am. So I joined a couple of running forums to get information and inspiration, and started training for a half marathon. I ran more races, 5k, 10k, 8k, 15k, HM and eventually my first marathon. Now I'm training for my third. I would never have thought that was possible when I started this.

That's great to hear! I definitely have a beady eye fixed on a marathon at some point in the future but do appreciate it could be a long way off yet.
    I'd love to be able to run for an Hour, that would be a great target for me but I need to get the C25K done first and just see how I get on.
    Day 2 of week 2 today!