Anyone recovering from Major Injuries/Surgeries

I just jogged on the treadmill for the first time in 5 months. I broke my ankle 5 months ago and had to have surgery. I felt so good running on that treadmill. Anyone else out there who recently broke any bones or had surgery that's looking for some motivation. Please feel free to join in.

Jason

Replies

• snowprincess502
    snowprincess502 Posts: 103 Member
    Request sent.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    I wish I could say I had the same results as you. 7 months ago I was in a bad Motorcycle accident and spent 8 days in the hospital. I am still in pain, although bones are healed. Whenever I sit for more than 15 minutes it takes me a few steps to actually move freely even though I have a limp.

I started to hit the gym a month ago to see if it would help. On a positive it didn't hurt. Other than the standard Lactic acid results. I'm having a hard time going back to the gym just from a pure pain stand point. I honestly feel like a 50 year old in a 90 year old body! I guess once it does all heal, I'll know what I have to look forward to.

Best of luck on your recovery!
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    shadowloss wrote: »
    I wish I could say I had the same results as you. 7 months ago I was in a bad Motorcycle accident and spent 8 days in the hospital. I am still in pain, although bones are healed. Whenever I sit for more than 15 minutes it takes me a few steps to actually move freely even though I have a limp.

I started to hit the gym a month ago to see if it would help. On a positive it didn't hurt. Other than the standard Lactic acid results. I'm having a hard time going back to the gym just from a pure pain stand point. I honestly feel like a 50 year old in a 90 year old body! I guess once it does all heal, I'll know what I have to look forward to.

Best of luck on your recovery!

Wow, man. So sorry to read this and I hope your recovery is a speedy one. However, I'm glad to see that you made an effort to do some work in the gym again. Unfortunately for us (fellow 50 year olds), the bones don't heal as quickly. My 22 year old nephew had a similar ankle injury as mine and the little crumb snatcher was back to shooting basketball after only 2 or 3 months. (ugh) Best of luck to you.
  • for_ever_young66
    sarahbums wrote: »
    congrats on your recovery, that's a huge step! i had major surgery for a brain tumor just over a year ago and am all healed up now, but I understand how great it feels to be up and moving again. I was even up taking walks 4 or 5 days post-op! Before surgery I'd planned to start running that winter, but that proved to be an unrealistic goal- I could literally feel the plate on my skull like, vibrating with each stride. So I've taken it easy and stuck to walking for the last year, but now I think I'm finally ready to try running. I'm starting C25K this week, so we'll see lol

Wow, this sounds really really serious. The fact that you are active on MFP and you were taking walks right after surgery tells me that you are a strong determined person who will fight through these issues. I'm sure you're going to do just great on that 5K.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    hey, in the past 2 weeks i've had the go ahead from physio to put as much weight as feels ok in my arm i snapped in two back in august! Stepped it right up again, i'm a poler so fully conditioning my left arm to be dominant, enjoying muscle memory ;) and back at my pull up training again (could do full deadlift pull up before injury grr now i need a resistance band!) Did handstand training last night in class, my arm has a 26 degree bend in it now which probably wont improve much more so i have to remain under tension in both arms (they wont lock as can't straighten!) when doing handstands/push ups etc so that's a challenge by itself but I was so impressed i can handstand without much pain, luckily i got meaty shoulders! I am sooo sore every day even on rest days but god i love it!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad you've got your workout joy back, i very much feel ya! Endorphins rock!
  • hilaryprzy
    hilaryprzy Posts: 13 Member
    About 4 months ago I had a successful spinal fusion. For years leading to my surgery I was steadily losing strength and coordination. In the weeks before my surgery date it got to the point where just walking was a chore and I couldn't imagine getting through another day. Now I feel good again and my strength is coming back slowly and the weight is coming off. Never give up. Feel free to add me.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    edited January 2017
    Had a stress fracture, right foot, about 2 years ago, was on crutches for 7 months thanks to the location. Also had dual knee injuries. Graduated from PT this past October. I am working on building my muscles back up and I am back to running, cycling and swimming again. Always tough getting back on your feet after an injury. Also sent everyone request.
  • calacolindo
    calacolindo Posts: 169 Member
    I had a tibial plateau fracture in August. Luckily I didn't have to have surgery but I was completely non-weight bearing for 4+ weeks. I gained 30+ pounds during that time. Since then I've had several months of PT and now I'm mostly healed. I'm working hard to regain my strength but it gets frustrating sometimes. But I'm getting there slowly but surely.
  • for_ever_young66
    I had a tibial plateau fracture in August. Luckily I didn't have to have surgery but I was completely non-weight bearing for 4+ weeks. I gained 30+ pounds during that time. Since then I've had several months of PT and now I'm mostly healed. I'm working hard to regain my strength but it gets frustrating sometimes. But I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Weight gain was also a problem for me. I have been a runner for about 9 years now and that activity has always helped me keep my weight in check. I went from 205 to 223 lbs. I also wasn't eating very clean and the holidays and my wedding/honeymoon certainly didn't help. Keep fighting, you'll get there. glad to hear you're making progress.

Jason
  • for_ever_young66
    hilaryprzy wrote: »
    About 4 months ago I had a successful spinal fusion. For years leading to my surgery I was steadily losing strength and coordination. In the weeks before my surgery date it got to the point where just walking was a chore and I couldn't imagine getting through another day. Now I feel good again and my strength is coming back slowly and the weight is coming off. Never give up. Feel free to add me.

Glad to hear your strength is coming back. When I broke my ankle and began walking again, I was still favoring the left side and my back was killing me. It still flares up every once in a while. I did get your FR and I accepted.
  • for_ever_young66
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    hey, in the past 2 weeks i've had the go ahead from physio to put as much weight as feels ok in my arm i snapped in two back in august! Stepped it right up again, i'm a poler so fully conditioning my left arm to be dominant, enjoying muscle memory ;) and back at my pull up training again (could do full deadlift pull up before injury grr now i need a resistance band!) Did handstand training last night in class, my arm has a 26 degree bend in it now which probably wont improve much more so i have to remain under tension in both arms (they wont lock as can't straighten!) when doing handstands/push ups etc so that's a challenge by itself but I was so impressed i can handstand without much pain, luckily i got meaty shoulders! I am sooo sore every day even on rest days but god i love it!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a great story. Did you break your ulna? Sounds painful but persistence will always prevail. WTG.
  • for_ever_young66
    daj150 wrote: »
    Had a stress fracture, right foot, about 2 years ago, was on crutches for 7 months thanks to the location. Also had dual knee injuries. Graduated from PT this past October. I am working on building my muscles back up and I am back to running, cycling and swimming again. Always tough getting back on your feet after an injury. Also sent everyone request.

I did receive your request and I accepted. Congrats on your recovery. I'm a lifter for the most part but I started out as a runner. I have run several 10K's, 5K's and Half marathon and a full marathon so sitting around was very tough for me as I'm sure it was for you.
  • hampstenj
    hampstenj Posts: 85 Member
    I'm in the same boat, broke my ankle severely on the 4th of July, never felt strong enough to test the ankle on a treadmill, I did some in pt but let's be honest, walking at 1.5 mph on the treadmill isn't exactly testing... id love support as I continue to recover... the worst thing is the swelling that continues and will continue for a while my ortho told me... it sucks worrying if your going to be ugly or swollen on your wedding day, which so happens to be a year and 4 days after my accident on July 8th, 2017!
  • for_ever_young66
    hampstenj wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, broke my ankle severely on the 4th of July, never felt strong enough to test the ankle on a treadmill, I did some in pt but let's be honest, walking at 1.5 mph on the treadmill isn't exactly testing... id love support as I continue to recover... the worst thing is the swelling that continues and will continue for a while my ortho told me... it sucks worrying if your going to be ugly or swollen on your wedding day, which so happens to be a year and 4 days after my accident on July 8th, 2017!

What's interesting is that I broke my ankle almost 4 months before my wedding day. I broke mine on 8/22 and my wedding date was 11/18, 9 days after I turned 50. Folks were concerned that I wasn't going to make it to the aisle by then. I limped a little but I pulled through. Sorry you're going through a rough time. I'm sure you're elevating it and doing the various stretches the doc/PT told you to do. For some reason, I have been pretty fortunate. The doc said despite being 50 years old (usually takes time for older bones to heal), I was able to heal pretty quickly. It is still somewhat swollen but a lot better than it was. I don't limp as much anymore unless the temperature drops sub-45 degrees and I can feel this titanium plate throbbing. I tried to keep moving as much as possible during my recovery. I did quite a few calf raises in the gym along with various stretches and it helped quite a bit. I was also soaking it in epsom salt. I'm sure you'll be okay before your big date. Doing things like stretching while sitting at your desk or at home should become almost second nature to you. Good luck and feel free to send me a Friend request if you'd like. Jason
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    I dodged the surgery bullet, but I messed up my knee pretty seriously after a motorcycle crash. I couldn't walk for two months. My leg muscles had atrophied so bad that at my first physical therapy session, I was unable to bend my knee more than 1 degree. 12 months of PT had me walking normally again, but I still feel residual pain from time time to time, and the accident was about 5 years ago.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member

That's a great story. Did you break your ulna? Sounds painful but persistence will always prevail. WTG.

snapped my humerus clean in two. Not funny... (a little fracture humour for you there...) ps, don't arm wrestle.

• EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Yes! Not sure how to send a request so please feel free to add me.
    Recovering from a couple major surgeries and have been back in the gym for a little over two weeks now. Feels good to be able to be allowed the freedom to move again although it's somewhat restricted. :)
  • for_ever_young66

snapped my humerus clean in two. Not funny... (a little fracture humour for you there...) ps, don't arm wrestle.

In two? Ouch!
  • hampstenj
    hampstenj Posts: 85 Member

What's interesting is that I broke my ankle almost 4 months before my wedding day. I broke mine on 8/22 and my wedding date was 11/18, 9 days after I turned 50. Folks were concerned that I wasn't going to make it to the aisle by then. I limped a little but I pulled through. Sorry you're going through a rough time. I'm sure you're elevating it and doing the various stretches the doc/PT told you to do. For some reason, I have been pretty fortunate. The doc said despite being 50 years old (usually takes time for older bones to heal), I was able to heal pretty quickly. It is still somewhat swollen but a lot better than it was. I don't limp as much anymore unless the temperature drops sub-45 degrees and I can feel this titanium plate throbbing. I tried to keep moving as much as possible during my recovery. I did quite a few calf raises in the gym along with various stretches and it helped quite a bit. I was also soaking it in epsom salt. I'm sure you'll be okay before your big date. Doing things like stretching while sitting at your desk or at home should become almost second nature to you. Good luck and feel free to send me a Friend request if you'd like. Jason

Yeah, when it gets cold up here in DFW I can feel it for sure! I did my first real major test last night in a 2 mile walk around my neighborhood.. Never really ran beforehand, but I decided to give it a test as I was going back up the driveway to get into the house.. Felt good, and for a 2 mile walk no noticable swelling aside from the normal swelling that builds throughout the day. Never tried soaking it in epsom salt but the stretches help. I've also noticed that it swells up more if I am wearing dress socks vs regular white athletic socks that I have been wearing since I broke the ankle.