I'm confused, please help :(

Options
So I been working out a lot more and recently I decided to start eating better so I been doing research on nutrition and it just left me more confused.

Most people say its just calories in vs calories out, so basically you can eat healthy or anything as long as you eat less calories you'll lose weight. But then I came across some fitness trainers and nutritionist who says you will not lose weight unless you eat clean/healthy 80-90% of the time. Because a calorie isnt just a calorie.

So which one is it?? It cant be both.

Thanks!

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    It's a lie. I lost 50 lbs last year eating all kinds of crap, always going over my "recommended" sugar intake (granted much of that was fruit but still)...and I ate quite a bit of processed foods and definitely "unclean" by those standards... it is CICO. The only caveat is if you eat an abundance of foods high in sodium, you may retain water and thus the scale will seem stuck - because you're retaining fluids.

For weightloss, it is definitely calories in calories out - but I will say I have FELT better overall when I eat foods that are more nutritionally dense than your typical "junk" food.
  • TristaOnTrack
    TristaOnTrack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I say whichever one you can stick with. I eat clean some of the time, but it's not perfect. You have to find something that you're willing to do for the long haul.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It's still basic math. Eat less than you burn. Eat fast food, eat healthy. It's still math. Sure some foods are more nutrient dense than others or lower sodium if that's your thing. There are no real good or bad foods. Just stay near your calorie goal and you should lose. Personally, I like the healthier eating, but it technically isn't mandatory. Best of luck!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I frequently hear "go ahead and spend 10-20% of your daily calories on treats". Basically what you're trainer said but in a more PC way. Not necessarily for weight loss but for general health.

Would someone really want to focus on weight loss only and not care about health?
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Some trainers and nutritionists say it's more complicated so that you will need (and pay for) their help.

BINGO

Plus eating more nutritionally dense foods will probably help keep your appetite in check. But again, you don't have to go organic or whole foods only...which is what I perceive "clean" to mean?

• xMiracat
    xMiracat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    It's a lie. I lost 50 lbs last year eating all kinds of crap, always going over my "recommended" sugar intake (granted much of that was fruit but still)...and I ate quite a bit of processed foods and definitely "unclean" by those standards... it is CICO. The only caveat is if you eat an abundance of foods high in sodium, you may retain water and thus the scale will seem stuck - because you're retaining fluids.

For weightloss, it is definitely calories in calories out - but I will say I have FELT better overall when I eat foods that are more nutritionally dense than your typical "junk" food.

ah i see, do u know if it the same for gaining muscle? does it matter what u eat when trying to gain muscle?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I matters how much you eat and how much you exercise for muscle.

If you eat at a deficit you will lose a little muscle.

Muscle builders go through "bulks" and "cuts". They deliberately eat over their TDEE while following a progressive weight lifting program. Then they will switch to a deficit to eliminate the skin of fat to show off their definition to maximum effect.

See, it has very little to do with what they are eating.
  • xMiracat
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Muscle builders go through "bulks" and "cuts". They deliberately eat over their TDEE while following a progressive weight lifting program. Then they will switch to a deficit to eliminate the skin of fat to show off their definition to maximum effect.

ah i see, so to gain muscle should I eat more first and then eat less?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »

if you have a lot of weight to lose you should eat in a deficit and lift weights.it will change how your body looks,and preserve lean muscle. Then when you lose enough weight or get down to where you are happy and at a healthy weight,then you can eat in a surplus of calories,lift and build muscle. when you eat in a surplus you will gain muscle and fat. but for both you want to make sure you are eating enough protein to preserve that muscle mass as well.
  • gnheller
    gnheller Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So I been working out a lot more and recently I decided to start eating better so I been doing research on nutrition and it just left me more confused.

Most people say its just calories in vs calories out, so basically you can eat healthy or anything as long as you eat less calories you'll lose weight. But then I came across some fitness trainers and nutritionist who says you will not lose weight unless you eat clean/healthy 80-90% of the time. Because a calorie isnt just a calorie.

So which one is it?? It cant be both.

Thanks!

Sodium from processed foods causes you to retain fluids and unburned sugars are converted to fat. Balance is the key to everything. I've lost 12 lbs since Jan. 1st. Was 262 now 250. 50 lbs to go. The secret is moderate exercise 3 to 4 times a week with elevated heart rate and healthy eating. Here is a typical day for me on a 1500 calorie meal plan.

Breakfast: 3/4 steel cut oats with 3/4 cup frozen blueberries and a splash of 1% lactose free milk. 2 cups of black coffee with 1/4 cup steamed 1% steamed milk (225 calories)
    Morning Snack: 1 banana (80 calories)
    Lunch: 1.5 cups homemade chicken, lentil vegetable soup. 1 slice multigrain bread with 1 small mashed avocado and pinch of kosher salt. (400 calories)
    Afternoon snack: cup of celery, carrots and red pepper and 10 raw almonds; (150 calories)
    Dinner: 6 oz grilled salmon; 2 cups stir fried vegetables; 2 cups salad (500 calories)
    Snack: celery, carrots and 1 tbsp organic peanut butter (150 calories)

Exercise (3 to 4 times per week); 30 to 40 minutes on exercise bike; 15 minutes of 7's high intensive training

On the weekends I have a beer and or a glass of wine.

Eat more on exercise days as that alone will burn 400 calories. I always drink a scoop of protein powder with 10 oz of water within 1 hour of exercise

I drink about 6 glasses of water a day with a slice of lemon

Weigh everything on a digital kitchen scale until you learn what you are eating
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    gnheller wrote: »
    unburned sugars are converted to fat.

This isn't true. It's not possible to put on fat in a deficit just by eating a bit more sugar. Eating over maintenance calories will cause fat gain, and these calories can originate from any food/macro, not just sugar.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    I lost weight when somedays all I ate was cheerios and chocolate then others I ate mostly vegetables and roasted chicken . At the end if the day a calorie is a calorie and you should eat what you like. Eating healthy is good for you nutritionally but eating junk food in moderation wont kill you. So even though you could lose weight eating only cheetos and drinking only soda you shouldn't since it would be horrible for your health.
  • wizzybeth
    Options

Sodium from processed foods causes you to retain fluids and unburned sugars are converted to fat.

I agree with sodium causing water retention - but sugars? I freqently went WAY over my sugar intake last year while still remaining in a calorie deficit and lost 50 lbs

• wizzybeth
    Options

But wouldn't they need to focus on eating a lot of protein if they are trying to build muscle? Arnold Scwharzenneger is of course an extreme example, but ... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/arnold-schwarzenegger-blueprint-trainer-mass-nutrition.html
  • xMiracat
    Options

if you have a lot of weight to lose you should eat in a deficit and lift weights.it will change how your body looks,and preserve lean muscle. Then when you lose enough weight or get down to where you are happy and at a healthy weight,then you can eat in a surplus of calories,lift and build muscle. when you eat in a surplus you will gain muscle and fat. but for both you want to make sure you are eating enough protein to preserve that muscle mass as well.

ah thanks for the tips! i dont have much to lose probably about 20-30lbs and ill be at a healthy weight but Ill try this! :)
  • xMiracat
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

But wouldn't they need to focus on eating a lot of protein if they are trying to build muscle? Arnold Scwharzenneger is of course an extreme example, but ... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/arnold-schwarzenegger-blueprint-trainer-mass-nutrition.html

i think i already eat a lot of protein, i eat chicken pretty much every night for dinner and sometimes lunch too so I think I'm ok in the protein area
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    unburned sugars are converted to fat.

This isn't true. It's not possible to put on fat in a deficit just by eating a bit more sugar. Eating over maintenance calories will cause fat gain, and these calories can originate from any food/macro, not just sugar.

This.
    Op- for weight loss the only thing needed is the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. And many times people see improved health markers/blood work with the weight loss, regardless of what they were eating to make up their calorie intake (several extreme examples like the Twinkie and McDonald's experiments show this).

However, different foods and macros ratios will have different satiety levels, and of course you want to have a balanced diet to get in the nutrients your body needs. I eat fast food, 'processed' foods, sugary foods etc. I also eat whole grains, veggies and fruit, lean meats etc. I focus #1 on hitting my calorie targets and then eating a varied and balanced diet :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We need enough protein to avoid ill effects (brittle nails, thinning hair) but eating extra protein does not get you extra muscle.

Muscle comes from exercising the muscle. The day after it may be a little swollen from the extra effort, repairing itself. If you keep at the exercise progressively increasing the load, the muscle gets stronger and stronger. This happens as long as you are eating enough. Not loads and loads but enough.

https://miloandthecalf.com/about/