Yawning while exercising?

Options
Anyone else yawn A LOT while working out?

Replies

• amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I do... But I don't work out until 7:00. So I just think it is me being worn out after a long day.
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    There are days when it is really bad!! And I would love to know why that is lol
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's really funny sometimes lol
  • pisces271
    pisces271 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i do this too - it seems like a very strange time to yawn - hopefully someone has an answer as to why....:yawn:
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    yup, almost puts me to sleep!! LOL
  • ZumbaQueenKelly
    Options
    I do pretty much every single time!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    always for the first 10 minutes or so
  • angelinalbinus
    Options
    Yeah. It happens to me too.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    You yawn when you need more oxygen in your brain, so it definitely makes sense to yawn when working out :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You yawn when you need more oxygen in your brain, so it definitely makes sense to yawn when working out :)

^^^ indeed!

Also, if I don't yawn, my ears get plugged up. So sometimes I am just doing my thing hoping to gosh that I will yawn soon!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    haha I do!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    yea, the oxygen thing!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I didn't look for a study or anything, but they say that yawning is partially caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. When you are tired or bored you aren't breathing very deeply and need a big breath in to replenish your oxygen. Yawning has also become a social cue and it is contagious. It kind of signals "Time to go to bed".
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I yawn too. I just assumed it was because I workout about 15 minutes after I wake up.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    if i'm doing mat work lol i get really sleepy
  • angelinalbinus
    Options
    If I do intense workout like JM's 30DS, I don't yawn. I only yawn when I do yoga. And I think that's because I don't know the right way to breath while doing yoga.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I didn't look for a study or anything, but they say that yawning is partially caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. When you are tired or bored you aren't breathing very deeply and need a big breath in to replenish your oxygen. Yawning has also become a social cue and it is contagious. It kind of signals "Time to go to bed".

would this mean that one is not breathing properly if yawing while working out?
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that this happens to so many people. I wonder if I'm not breathing properly when I'm working out. I notice I yawn a lot more when I'm doing crunches, chest flies, or anything that involves laying down -- maybe it's my body's way of saying it needs a nap.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with tiredness, it's your body trying to get more oxygen. Yawning excessively means that your workout might be a little too challenging in the cardio dept. Focus on deeper breathing or take it down a notch.
  • MandaMarie1205
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one... always felt silly yawning when I exercise!