What's the big deal about 1,200?

Options

Replies

• msweeks83
    msweeks83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    msweeks83 wrote: »
    So I put in my information when I started MFP again after a few years because I have gained a lot, it said I need to consume 2700 calories a day (33yrs - 5'9" - 310.8) that was on the 1st of Jan. I have been eating a lot better than I was, one cheat meal a week, but have been averaging about 1100 calories. I mean even doing a slim fast diet only gets you to 1200 calories if your following it 100%.

But my question is this. Can you eat healthy low calorie foods all day and be well nutrified without having to hit such a high calorie number? By the way Im down 23 pounds as of this morning, and I rarely feel hungry during the day. I do a bit at night right before i go to sleep but i use water to combat that.

Any advice would be great, as Im losing some weight but I want to do it safely and make sure Im not going to damage my body in the long run

Whoa! 23 pounds in as many days?!? Yikes! Slow down my friend, you're going to burn out. If you are male the minimum is actually 1500

eta: and That's just over half of what YOUR body needs. I hope you reconsider. There are a lot of complications that go with this kind of weight loss.

Im not really in a rush to lose weight, Im not really trying to "diet" either. I am trying to institue a life style change that will be a permanent part of my life. "Eat to live not live to eat" I think the only reason im losing quickly right now is because I was eating so badly for a long time. I confess that sometimes I would order two meals through a drive thru because I was that hungry. I would drink soda and sweet tea constantly and snack on unhealthy things like ice cream bars, chocolate bars, even having a huge bowl of ice cream before bed.

But now all i drink is water (except for the occasional cheat meal), and choose high protein-low sugar foods, as well as measuring out snacks and even the sandwiches I eat to get the exact calorie counts. I snack on almonds, bananas, apples, boiled eggs etc. I have even tried some of those meal replacement slim fast shakes. I track my weight every day, same time every day (and I know your not really suppose to because weight fluctuates constantly. And I have noticed if I hit over 1500 calories I gain back. thats the only reason im floating at 1200 daily.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    For the whole "nutrient" thing, can't you just pop a multi-vitamin? I mean one of those Penn and Teller dudes lost a bunch of weight really fast by going to like a 500-calorie-a-day diet.
  • msweeks83
    Options
    For the whole "nutrient" thing, can't you just pop a multi-vitamin? I mean one of those Penn and Teller dudes lost a bunch of weight really fast by going to like a 500-calorie-a-day diet.

I take the Men's Vitacraves Gummies. Delicious and full of vitamin A & C
  • Annaxlisex
    Annaxlisex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"7 and I'm eating the recommended 1260 for my height to loose 2lbs pw and I'm not even eating the whole 1260 most days I'm just not hungry and it's working a treat I am loosing the 2 pound weekly!! I think personally if you feel genuinely hungry and not just craving food then you should increase your intake but if not it's fine because your still getting plenty of nutrients and because I am counting my Cal's I actually find I am eating a lot more good nutrients than when I was eating more food which is probably why I feel satisfied all the time and don't feel the need to eat any crap
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Depends on size and activity level. Can be great for some, way too small for others. I'm 5'3 and 125, so if sedentary it's about right for me. But since I'm not sedentary (training for a marathon) would be a stupid amount of calories that undercut my training goals and leads to unnecessary muscle loss.

And age. My sedentary BMR is getting closer to that magic number.
  • msweeks83
    Options
    So I put in my information when I started MFP again after a few years because I have gained a lot, it said I need to consume 2700 calories a day (33yrs - 5'9" - 310.8) that was on the 1st of Jan. I have been eating a lot better than I was, one cheat meal a week, but have been averaging about 1100 calories. I mean even doing a slim fast diet only gets you to 1200 calories if your following it 100%.

But my question is this. Can you eat healthy low calorie foods all day and be well nutrified without having to hit such a high calorie number? By the way Im down 23 pounds as of this morning, and I rarely feel hungry during the day. I do a bit at night right before i go to sleep but i use water to combat that.

Any advice would be great, as Im losing some weight but I want to do it safely and make sure Im not going to damage my body in the long run

Whoa! 23 pounds in as many days?!? Yikes! Slow down my friend, you're going to burn out. If you are male the minimum is actually 1500

eta: and That's just over half of what YOUR body needs. I hope you reconsider. There are a lot of complications that go with this kind of weight loss.

Im not really in a rush to lose weight, Im not really trying to "diet" either. I am trying to institue a life style change that will be a permanent part of my life. "Eat to live not live to eat" I think the only reason im losing quickly right now is because I was eating so badly for a long time. I confess that sometimes I would order two meals through a drive thru because I was that hungry. I would drink soda and sweet tea constantly and snack on unhealthy things like ice cream bars, chocolate bars, even having a huge bowl of ice cream before bed.

But now all i drink is water (except for the occasional cheat meal), and choose high protein-low sugar foods, as well as measuring out snacks and even the sandwiches I eat to get the exact calorie counts. I snack on almonds, bananas, apples, boiled eggs etc. I have even tried some of those meal replacement slim fast shakes. I track my weight every day, same time every day (and I know your not really suppose to because weight fluctuates constantly. And I have noticed if I hit over 1500 calories I gain back. thats the only reason im floating at 1200 daily.

If you're eating 1200 a day and then suddenly eat over 1500 and "gain" from it, it's just water weight/more food in your system to digest, not a fat gain.

so what your saying is bump to 1500 calories and give it a week or two? at 1200 I really dont feel hungry, probably because I focus on high protein-low sugar foods.
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

No, they will help to fill some gaps but relying on them for the bulk of you nutrients is a poor plan.

Calories are a measurement of energy (fuel). The quality of that fuel (macro's and micro's) is are equally important. There are probably a small number of people out there who have a legitimate 1200 c requirement and far fewer that require less. On the average @ 1200 calories per day it would likely be difficult to achieve the necessary nutrients the body requires.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Vitamins don't come with all the micro nutrients, antioxidants etc. that vegetables and fruits come chock full of.
    And, there's mixed evidence regarding whether our bodies react to vitamins the same as food with vitamins and minerals.
    And Penn and Teller probably had a full time doc around to make sure he wasn't having a heart attack.
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat very nutritious, whole foods and have had thorough lab work after 3 mos of this and my doc is very happy.

That is the key operator here. Now go and check the op's diary. I do in fact tend to check diary's of anyone giving advice. Heck mine is open, is it perfect?... nope but I do attempt to get where I need to be. The quality of the fuel is paramount for long term success.

I was reading through another diary of someone who has been here for a good long time. They even indicate in their profile "low-carb clean eating" and I read the diary and when they do log it is micky d's , wendy's etc. Snack's of candy???

Now don't get me wrong, I have a sweet tooth and enjoy an occasional burger though not from fast food chains. It's when I see diaries where nutrition is lacking in general topped with entries like these on a regular basis that I just don't understand. "oh I am doing great, losing weight" they say. But again these types of activities are not sustainable for the long term.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I eat very nutritious, whole foods and have had thorough lab work after 3 mos of this and my doc is very happy.

That is the key operator here. Now go and check the op's diary. I do in fact tend to check diary's of anyone giving advice. Heck mine is open, is it perfect?... nope but I do attempt to get where I need to be. The quality of the fuel is paramount for long term success.

I was reading through another diary of someone who has been here for a good long time. They even indicate in their profile "low-carb clean eating" and I read the diary and when they do log it is micky d's , wendy's etc. Snack's of candy???

Now don't get me wrong, I have a sweet tooth and enjoy an occasional burger though not from fast food chains. It's when I see diaries where nutrition is lacking in general topped with entries like these on a regular basis that I just don't understand. "oh I am doing great, losing weight" they say. But again these types of activities are not sustainable for the long term.
    Two points:
    1) You inspired me to go change my diary to public so people can see where I'm coming from.
    2) You inspired me to go take a peek at OP's diary. Ouch.

Thank you.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

If you're eating 1200 a day and then suddenly eat over 1500 and "gain" from it, it's just water weight/more food in your system to digest, not a fat gain.

so what your saying is bump to 1500 calories and give it a week or two? at 1200 I really dont feel hungry, probably because I focus on high protein-low sugar foods.

I'm just saying there's a reason the scale goes up when you increase calories, it's not true weight gain and it will level out.
    You could definitely still be losing at a good rate while eating more.