Working out and not loosing a LB!

Options
I went from: Stationary.. I mean stationary! Sitting 10 hours a day at work and commuting. Maybe move when i get home for a bit to make dinner and clean, then sit on the couch and then bed every night.

To: Working out for an hour 3 to 4x a week (2x with a trainer) moving as much as I can when i get home, not plopping on the couch. AND.... I have not lost a pound and its been 2 months! WTF!!!?? So discouraging.

My food choices could still be better but it isnt terrible. I dont snack. I eat plenty of veggies and make most healthy choices most the time. I dont eat till im going to explode. I have cut back on Wine.

I plan on getting better on tracking my food. I just wish this site was easier to navigate tracking. (Like WW online was so easy years ago, I know this is free but, could be better)

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You don't mention calories and say you don't track consistently. That there is why you are not losing. You have little to know clue how many calories you're consuming.

And tracking gets easier, just takes time to get used to how MFP works and to build up a personal list of foods you commonly eat (these are autosaved when you add them).

Bingo.

OP-focus on your food intake, tighten up your logging and make sure you're hitting your calorie target. Also make sure you're accurately measuring out portion sizes because eyeballing/using measuring cups can be way off.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Here is your key. If you're not losing weight, then you are not eating at a deficit. You're most likely burning more due to your increased activity/exercise and compensating by eating/drinking more.

Personally I find the food tracking pretty easy here, especially thru the phone app.
    price0909 wrote: »

I plan on getting better on tracking my food. I just wish this site was easier to navigate tracking. (Like WW online was so easy years ago, I know this is free but, could be better)

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I recently went a period where I didn't lose for like 6 weeks. I had just started lifting. Apparently, my body was all like "WTH?!," and it took a long time for my body to realize this was the new norm. I'm back to losing, and I didn't change anything. Just kept plugging along.

Make sure your food I put is correct, that you are measuring and logging all your food properly. Drink plenty of water, and just ride it out. Water retention happens when you are working out.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise all you want but if you aren't weighing and logging everything you consume you are just recouping if the weight is the same.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you have been getting some recomp results in those 2 months of exercise even if the scales didn't budge?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You are exercising, which is great...but if you haven't lost weight or gained weight then you are eating maintenance calories. Exercising doesn't default to weight loss...you are burning more calories with exercise and likely compensating for that by eating/drinking more. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    New exercise routines can mask weight loss because your body will retain water for repair. However, I agree with the others that tracking your caloric intake will have the greatest impact.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

theres your problem.

and it is easy.
  • price0909
    price0909 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My body is changing. But the scale isnt moving. And I have a lot to loose. (50lbs)

Before my new routine, i was eating very well and started loosing by lowering my ridiculous carb intake. I started working out and lost all food tracking efforts.

Its like I cant do both.

OKAY- Day 1- Tracking! My goal for now is to loose 5 pounds! I am going to do it!!!!!!!!!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Get fit in the gym. Lose weight in the kitchen.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My body is changing. But the scale isnt moving. And I have a lot to loose. (50lbs)

Before my new routine, i was eating very well and started loosing by lowering my ridiculous carb intake. I started working out and lost all food tracking efforts.

Its like I cant do both.

OKAY- Day 1- Tracking! My goal for now is to loose 5 pounds! I am going to do it!!!!!!!!!

I was the same -it was too overwhelming and stressful to work on both food and exercise, so I only focused on my calorie intake /how much I was eating and did no exercise. Lost 50lbs and improved all my health markers that way :)
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you eat too many calories for the amount you burn, you can workout all day and not lose a pound. Weight loss is done in the kitchen, toning and getting muscular is done at the gym and it's a great supplement to eating less calories, but it won't do the work alone or else everyone would be slim.