Keto screw up rant and looking for Keto buddies!

Options
124»

Replies

• chelseabarnwell42
    chelseabarnwell42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    @Annie_01 I eat a lot of Avocado, Kale and Spinach all three have a lot of potassium and also sunflower seeds. I think I am still getting enough I haven't had any symptoms of low potassium. I will definitely look into that thank you. Thats great! Those three things are so delicious but worth cutting back on!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I started Keto a week ago. I have been doing tons of research, bought three books and have been totally strictly committed. Today I stupidly ate corn on the cob, I forgot about corn actually being a grain and not a vegetable I was just thinking veggie. I have been staying at no more than 20 carbs a day and I just know I probably kicked myself out of Ketosis over corn! I'm just so sick about it. So I'm looking for fellow Keto friends to help get me through, share our progress and even yummy recipes!

if you stayed under 50g of net carbs, you're probably fine.
  • release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Don't forget Coconut oil. I try to start days with bulletproof coffee..amazing coffee so easy to make =)
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I googled ketosis and this is what it said. life-threatening buildup of certain acids (ketones) in the blood.

that's ketoacidosis. Different animal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    How do those that eat KETO get their potassium? Foods that contain the highest potassium levels are mostly carbs...fruits and vegetables.

Do some research on sodium/potassium ratios on the affects of HBP. There has been some studies done that indicate that potassium helps to neutralize the sodium affects.

To get my carbs down to a moderate level I cut back on the frequency that I eat things such as pasta, rice and bread.

The largest sources would be dark leafy greens, avocado, coconut and sometimes full fat dairy.
  • release_the_kraken
    Options
    Those deep into keto need to keep salt and other electrolytes in their system due to the amount of water that is also consumed during the process. Up to 1.5ga of water a day makes for a lot of pee..which flushes out the electrolytes in your system
  • rinigirl76
    rinigirl76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I chew Orbit Wintermint.. for the breath.. and I have lost 12lbs since Jan 3rd on KETO!!! strictly starting to stick under 20-25 carbs a day.. ADD me as a friend! :wink:
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @release_the_kraken I just learned about bullet proof coffee today! I'm definetly trying it! I need to drink more water I'm not quite up to that amount yet
  • release_the_kraken
    Options
    @release_the_kraken I just learned about bullet proof coffee today! I'm definetly trying it! I need to drink more water I'm not quite up to that amount yet

You will love it. Makes intermittent fasting during Keto a lot easier and gets those fats in you that you need.

Any feel free to add me for Keto also, like peaking at the diaries for food ideas =) I am also a pescatarian so makes this a little more difficult since I can't just go eat a steak or a slab of bacon.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
  • simonbraunercave
    simonbraunercave Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Looking for friends! Anyone else on a keto diet: just started.. or rather started a while ago and found that lots I was eating had some Carbs in so not yet in ketosis. I think I'm on it now.
  • simonbraunercave
    simonbraunercave Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @atjays Thank you for your response! I am still so very new and still trying to figure things out so thank you so much for that info. So far the only side effect after a week is a headache a couple of days I'm really hoping I don't experience the the intense effects. I will keep in mind I shouldn't panic over a piece of corn haha. I'm just taking it so serious because I am having a horrible time with severe hypertension and I know Keto is so successful at lowering blood pressure and fast. Thank you so much for responding and all the info!!!

How does keto reduce hypertension? Simply weight loss?
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options

@atjays Thank you for your response! I am still so very new and still trying to figure things out so thank you so much for that info. So far the only side effect after a week is a headache a couple of days I'm really hoping I don't experience the the intense effects. I will keep in mind I shouldn't panic over a piece of corn haha. I'm just taking it so serious because I am having a horrible time with severe hypertension and I know Keto is so successful at lowering blood pressure and fast. Thank you so much for responding and all the info!!!

Yes and how fast you loose weight I assume. I have gone from being on two blood pressure meds , talking about adding a third, to one. I hope one day no meds!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Yes and how fast you loose weight I assume. I have gone from being on two blood pressure meds , talking about adding a third, to one. I hope one day no meds!

Part of it is that insulin causes water retention. If you lower carbs you lower insulin and you lose water and electrolytes. If electrolytes get lie you will start to feel poorly though.