Why am I having hunger pains?

Options
So I was eating at 1200 for a couple weeks. Nothing drastic, I've eaten at 1100 before for 3 months and been fine. I recently upped to 1350 because I've been waking up from hunger pains and having hunger pains during the day. I can usually ignore the urge to eat if it's just a slight nagging feeling, but my stomach feels like it's eating itself. I'm still trying to ignore it, but I'm not sure why I'm so hungry. Usually, I only get hungry about an hour before meal time, but now I'm hungry a 30-min to an hour after I've eaten! To make matters worse, I think I've been averaging 1438 instead of the 1200 I wanted so I'm definitely not starving myself for real.

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    What did mfp give you for a calorie goal? What are your stats?
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I'm 22F 5' 2" and currently 147lbs trying to get to 115

Mfp gave me 1250 to lose a pound a week. I've done 1200 before though and haven't had any trouble with hunger before.

I was at 1400 in October and I felt pretty satisfied there, maybe even full, but I wasn't losing a pound a week. I'm mostly just confused as to why a year ago I did 1200 calories just fine from 150-133 lbs, but now I'm fatigued and hungry.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    Options
    OpalMagnus wrote: »

I'm 22F 5' 2" and currently 147lbs trying to get to 115

Mfp gave me 1250 to lose a pound a week. I've done 1200 before though and haven't had any trouble with hunger before.

I was at 1400 in October and I felt pretty satisfied there, maybe even full, but I wasn't losing a pound a week. I'm mostly just confused as to why a year ago I did 1200 calories just fine from 150-133 lbs, but now I'm fatigued and hungry.

I actually just updated it now (last time I checked is when I was at 155lbs). It says 1720 to maintain, 1470 to lose .5lbs, and 1220 to lose a pound a week.

Also, to clarify again, I haven't actually stuck to that 1200 goal, I've been averaging 1448 over the last month.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    1400-1500 is probably a more reasonable amount to eat. That 1720 is assuming you literally do not get off your butt all day. I assume you leave the house, so you're probably closer to 2,000 to maintain.

You're hungry because you're hungry. You aren't eating very much, and you're not putting every single one of those calories toward food that will keep you full. Treats are fine - but they're not filling, and if you "trade" 300 calories of fruit and/or nuts and/or veggies for a brownie or a cinnamon bun, your blood sugar rises and falls - and then you're hungry.
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are working out, but that could be it. Also, eating the right kinds of foods. My blood sugar drops when i sleep so sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night and have a small piece of cheese. Maybe you need to eat more times a day too? Take that 1200 to 1500 calories and spread it in more snacks. I have about 5 snacks a day, including my 3 meals and stay in the 1200 to 1500 range.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    1400-1500 is probably a more reasonable amount to eat. That 1720 is assuming you literally do not get off your butt all day. I assume you leave the house

It makes me mad that mfp would even include that. Like who literally doesn't even go to work or school?

As for the other things, yeah, I agree I could eat better trade-offs, but I ate like that last time on 1,200 and I felt okay. I'm just trying to figure out the sudden change. I was looking some stuff up online about how pain from ulcers can mimic hunger pains which worried me because I have an ulcer with pain that cvomes and goes. Usually, I feel sick and don't feel like eating.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    1400-1500 is probably a more reasonable amount to eat. That 1720 is assuming you literally do not get off your butt all day. I assume you leave the house

It makes me mad that mfp would even include that. Like who literally doesn't even go to work or school?

Disabled people (physical and mental), chronically ill, retired, people who lost their jobs, employees temporarily on disability, stay at home parents (although that is a job to me). There are a lot of people who don't or are unable to work.

Yeah, I thought about it after I said it and realized that's probably the case. Although, I saw another thread saying that sedentary on mfp isn't bedridden, it's desk job + normal household chores. Is this true?

By the way, I ate right after I posted this thread and man did I feel better instantly. I felt more awake, I wasn't as lightheaded. Turns out the lasagna I thought was 500 calories was more like 250 because my mom put less cheese in.
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The Hunger pains could also be because you are thirsty. Are you drinking enough water/liquids?
  • daniellockridge
    daniellockridge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would say that your body has had enough of the low carb diet. Going on and off the extreme will not only confuse your body but will also force it into using other sources of nutrients. You may feel like your stomach is eating itself cause basically it is. Like someone said before, you really need to make sure the calories you do eat are full of enough nutrients to stretch it. But if you insist upon the extreme low carb diet I would insist taking vitamins and pre natels.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 a few days per week. It's in no way pleasant. I stick to the basics and don't add calories from cheese, dressings, condiments, etc. Lots of vegetables, lots of hot sauce, some protein bars, lean meat. It's not glamorous.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Disabled people (physical and mental), chronically ill, retired, people who lost their jobs, employees temporarily on disability, stay at home parents (although that is a job to me). There are a lot of people who don't or are unable to work.

Yeah, I thought about it after I said it and realized that's probably the case. Although, I saw another thread saying that sedentary on mfp isn't bedridden, it's desk job + normal household chores. Is this true?

By the way, I ate right after I posted this thread and man did I feel better instantly. I felt more awake, I wasn't as lightheaded. Turns out the lasagna I thought was 500 calories was more like 250 because my mom put less cheese in.

Yes. A desk job is sedentary.

My husband and I both work at home. Often, we literally don't even get out of the bed before grabbing our laptops. His phone logged only 65 steps the other day. Mine is better because I go to the gym every day, but still. Definitely sedentary. :)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Sedentary isn't bedridden. It's about 2,000-3,000 steps/day. So, that's desk job + driving to work (with only a short walk from parking lot to desk; definitely not walking or cycling to work!). It includes basic household chores, going to the grocery store, etc. but it assumes no significant walking during the day. In my opinion, it would be very difficult for a student to move as little as "sedentary" requires. Walking from class to class, walking to the bus stop, etc. would usually take them over 3,000 steps/day.

If you have access to a pedometer or step counting app on your phone, tracking your steps for a few days or a week would give you a solid idea of your activity level. (Don't count steps during working out if you plan to log the working out separately.)
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ashleyylo wrote: »
    The Hunger pains could also be because you are thirsty. Are you drinking enough water/liquids?

Yep! I drink 64 oz a day usually and more if I'm hungry.

I've also found for today that distributing the calories evenly is helpful. I eat anywhere from 200-300 calories for breakfast and 200-300 for lunch leaving me quite a few before dinner...I think I'll start trying to get to 400/400/400 as much as possible.
    In my opinion, it would be very difficult for a student to move as little as "sedentary" requires. Walking from class to class, walking to the bus stop, etc. would usually take them over 3,000 steps/day.

I'm not a student anymore so I don't walk as much as I used to, but going to and from my car for work takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes depending on which building I'm in. I've also been walking my dog (though half a mile is a workout for him) so that's added some extra steps. I think I do about 3,000-4,000 a day with walking dog included. More like 2,000-3,000 if I don't walk him.
    I would say that your body has had enough of the low carb diet. Going on and off the extreme will not only confuse your body but will also force it into using other sources of nutrients. You may feel like your stomach is eating itself cause basically it is. Like someone said before, you really need to make sure the calories you do eat are full of enough nutrients to stretch it. But if you insist upon the extreme low carb diet I would insist taking vitamins and pre natels.

Low carb? I wasn't trying to eat low carb at all! MFP says I've been eating 50% of my calories as carb so how is that low carb? Did you mean low calorie? Because I thought 1200 was actually generous for a girl my height. I had another online calculator that said my maintenance was 1,600 so I should be eating 1,100 to lose a pound a week.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've had a similar problem and have only about 25 pounds left to lose. I'm thinking that part of it is I've gotten a little lazy about eating vegetables and protein. I've had higher carb foods (bread etc) which don't have the bulk. I believe CICO but lets face it more bulk means feeling fuller longer. I'm wondering if that's my problem.

I should mention I've done 1200 calories for about a year.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

True. Sedentary is equivalent to about 3,000 steps, I've tested out different activity levels against Fitbit steps. So it is possible to be less active than sedentary.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    So I was eating at 1200 for a couple weeks. Nothing drastic, I've eaten at 1100 before for 3 months and been fine. I recently upped to 1350 because I've been waking up from hunger pains and having hunger pains during the day. I can usually ignore the urge to eat if it's just a slight nagging feeling, but my stomach feels like it's eating itself. I'm still trying to ignore it, but I'm not sure why I'm so hungry. Usually, I only get hungry about an hour before meal time, but now I'm hungry a 30-min to an hour after I've eaten! To make matters worse, I think I've been averaging 1438 instead of the 1200 I wanted so I'm definitely not starving myself for real.

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? For many women, metabolism increases premenstrually with a corresponding increase in appetite. Many of us eat at maintenance for a few days at this time.

Some women's hunger also goes up around the time of ovulation, which is about two weeks before the period starts.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? For many women, metabolism increases premenstrually with a corresponding increase in appetite. Many of us eat at maintenance for a few days at this time.

Some women's hunger also goes up around the time of ovulation, which is about two weeks before the period starts.

I am about 3-4 days away. Could explain a lot. Except I don't ovulate because I take birth control pills. Wouldn't that lessen the effect?