Ok need help

Options
I did spin class this morning. The class is about an hour long. My fitness pal say I burnt 565 calories for 55 minutes. I have done well under my caloric in take for today. Feeling good but sore and a pretty sleepy. Having difficulty losing weight.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose weight?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    One spin class isn't going to make you lose weight, same with one day being under your calorie intake.

It is consistency that counts here.

Are you being accurate in your logging and using a food scale? If not, then you could be eating more than you think.
  • bewhichwitch
    bewhichwitch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have been taking the spin class for about a month now. Trying to lose weight has been several years going. Trying to get to goal weight.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories, not exercise.

Are you weighing/measuring everything you eat? Are you using the correct entries from the database?

If one spin class made you drop weight instantly, I'd then maybe actually consider going to one.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I did spin class this morning. The class is about an hour long. My fitness pal say I burnt 565 calories for 55 minutes. I have done well under my caloric in take for today. Feeling good but sore and a pretty sleepy. Having difficulty losing weight.

What is the question and what do you need help with?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You'll get better advice if you open your food diary to public.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Are you weighing/measuring everything you eat? Are you using the correct entries from the database?

If one spin class made you drop weight instantly, I'd then maybe actually consider going to one.

^^^ All this
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

This is the worst weight loss myth.

Weight loss is about calories. Exercise burns calories. Trying to say exercise is separate and apart from weight loss is like saying cars have nothing to do with gasoline. It's not helpful, and confuses people for no good reason.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Have been taking the spin class for about a month now. Trying to lose weight has been several years going. Trying to get to goal weight.

You've still made no mention of calories. As others have stated, creating and maintaining a calorie deficit is the key to weight loss. Exercise makes it easier to maintain a deficit, but everything still hinges on caloric intake and portion control. What was the daily calorie goal MFP gave you, how many calories are you consuming/day, and are you using a food scale to ensure that your daily consumption is accurate?

(edited for typos)
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Weight loss is about calories. Exercise burns calories. Trying to say exercise is separate and apart from weight loss is like saying cars have nothing to do with gasoline. It's not helpful, and confuses people for no good reason.

You can lose weight and never work out a day. Or you can workout 24 hours a day and it won't matter if you eat more than the burn. The point is, less calories in than out. Sure, exercise helps this, but if there is no attention to calories, exercise in most cases won't matter.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

You can lose weight and never work out a day. Or you can workout 24 hours a day and it won't matter if you eat more than the burn. The point is, less calories in than out. Sure, exercise helps this, but if there is no attention to calories, exercise in most cases won't matter.
    Exactly.

Focusing firstly on calories actually making it easier. Putting people into the mindset is key.
    Those starting right off the bat need it simplified in that what they eat matters, and they need to make those right choices into their goals first before trying to out train bad diets, etc.
    Yes, adding exercise can increase your deficit, but focusing on that at the start on top of getting the diet right is usually a lot harder pill for people to swallow and understand. Can it be done? Sure. But the majority of people won't succeed because they don't have the information or knowledge behind it.

Once someone understands how to weigh/measure and track accurately, there's nothing wrong with adding more of a deficit through exercise. But it takes time.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Also, I'd call it a "weight loss TLDR" vs. a myth. Nothing about it is untrue ;)
  • bewhichwitch
    Options
    Mfp has my calorie goal at 1995. I have also started tracking with fit bit tracker also. Fit bit has my calorie deficit at -500. I have been under that goal most of the time. I'm an active person. I'm usually on my feet a good 90 percent of the day.
    I do have a scale for food but haven't really used it. I try to eat more veggies/salads than the entrées also. More protein also.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Mfp has my calorie goal at 1995. I have also started tracking with fit bit tracker also. Fit bit has my calorie deficit at -500. I have been under that goal most of the time. I'm an active person. I'm usually on my feet a good 90 percent of the day.
    I do have a scale for food but haven't really used it. I try to eat more veggies/salads than the entrées also. More protein also.

If you're not using your food scale, then you really have no idea if how many calories you're actually consuming per day. In all likelihood, you're eating more than you think you are.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Enter your details into MFP.
    Choose sedentary as your activity level.
    Select to lose 1 lb/week.
    See the calories that MFP gives you? Eat that amount.

Weigh your food.
    Log meticulously.

If you exercise, log that too but be realistic and honest. Select the low/light/slow options.
    Eat approx. half your calories back.

Go to the grocery stores and markets in your area and have a really good look at what's available ... what foods you can eat to stay at your calorie limit. Get creative!

Focus on something else. Don't focus on the food and what you're eating. Obviously weigh your food and log meticulously, but once you've eaten your meal, put everything away and go do something else. Take on projects, go to classes, get an additional part-time job, go for long walks, start a new hobby, volunteer.

That's what worked for me! :)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd get a heart rate monitor to wear during class. It'll give you a more accurate idea of how many calories you are actually burning in spin class.
  • jkwolly
    Options

If you're not using your food scale, then you really have no idea if how many calories you're actually consuming per day. In all likelihood, you're eating more than you think you are.

Yep.

Saddest thing back in the day was first measuring peanut butter... an actual TBSP (15 grams) is so small
    :'(
  • bewhichwitch
    Options
    I'm going to try harder to focus more on clean eating. Alison measurements and not the scale. Think I'm thinking to hard causing my focus to be shifted. Thank you all for the advice.