Vegetarian advice not enough protein

Options
lechelle_elkins
lechelle_elkins Posts: 31 Member
edited January 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hey all so I made the life decision to become vegetarian! Not to lose weight! Just because I have always disliked meat! Anyways I have been meat free for 12 days and feel great about it. I am having some difficulties with making sure I'm getting enough protein! And definitely feel like crap today! I am looking into getting a protein powder and I have been
Taking my vitamins! Any vegetarians have advice!

Replies

• Lolamarylola
    Lolamarylola Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ive been vegetarian for six years, my main sources of protein are lentils, beans, chickpeas, if you are not vegan you can add hard boiled eggs to your diet also :)
  • kata5211
    kata5211 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian is easy, vegan is A bit challenging
  • dherrle
    dherrle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for four years, and I know what you mean about the effort to get protein. (btw - don't let people rain on your parade - you are doing a good thing!) I make a smoothie, I add a scoop of Vega Sport protein powder. It contains 30 grams of protein each, comes in chocolate, vanilla, and berry. The chocolate and vanilla are really delicious. I was not a fan of the berry though. My favorite breakfast is a smoothie made from cold decaf coffee, chocolate protein powder, frozen strawberries, blueberries and banana. Totally amazing and tastes like a milkshake.
  • lechelle_elkins
    Options
    Thank you! There are days when I feel absolutely amazing! Then there are days like today when I can tell I'm lacking protein! I have a hard time with eggs but will try the boiled eggs!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Great animal-free sources of protein (in addition to what is listed above) include tofu, tempeh, and seitan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Lentils, legumes, tofu, dairy (cottage cheese/greek yogurt, etc), eggs and egg whites
  • lechelle_elkins
    Options
    dherrle wrote: »
    I've been vegan for four years, and I know what you mean about the effort to get protein. (btw - don't let people rain on your parade - you are doing a good thing!) I make a smoothie, I add a scoop of Vega Sport protein powder. It contains 30 grams of protein each, comes in chocolate, vanilla, and berry. The chocolate and vanilla are really delicious. I was not a fan of the berry though. My favorite breakfast is a smoothie made from cold decaf coffee, chocolate protein powder, frozen strawberries, blueberries and banana. Totally amazing and tastes like a milkshake.
    Thank you so much I'll definitely give the protein powder a try! I've tried a couple protein powders and find it hard to get over the chalkyness! How is Vega powder? Is it really chalky

• lechelle_elkins
    Options
    Great animal-free sources of protein (in addition to what is listed above) include tofu, tempeh, and seitan.
    Thanks so much! I tried tofu for the first time yesterday and loved it! I just need to find different ways of cooking it! Any favorites for you?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Since you are not vegan you can also add in Greek yogurt and cottage cheese....plain 0% fat greek yogurt and lowfat cottage cheese have an awesome protein-to-calorie ratio (the former is 30 g protein: 160 calories; the latter is a few more calories due to 1% fat content; higher fat is always a good option too if you can spare the calories).
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian all my life. Beans, chickpeas, lentils, tofu and eggs are your best natural sources of protein. I know they can sound boring if you aren't used to cooking with them but once you learn to cook properly with them I promise they are delicious!! Chickpeas with basil and garlic is one of my favourites and chickpeas and lentils are great in curries. Lentils can also be made into super tasty baked loafs with veggies (search vegetarian lentil loaf and there are lots of good recipes) or veggie burgers. Feel free to add me if you have any questions about good veggie foods :)
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but I have a friend who is vegan so when we do dinner together it has to be vegan (of course) Tofu is actually yummy, we have a lot of black bean tacos, lentil soups
  • giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Soy/soya :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Ive been vegetarian for six years, my main sources of protein are lentils, beans, chickpeas, if you are not vegan you can add hard boiled eggs to your diet also :)

This. I've had no issues ever.
    And if I have a day I am lower, I simply up said items or even sometimes have some protein powder.
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly vegetarian and I understand the struggle. Especially staying within calorie range since nonanimal protein can more caloric. In addition to above I find veggie burgers/premade vegitarian meat alternatives to be quite good. Tons of variety too. They're a bit high in sodium but a lifesaver when I don't want to cook.
  • lechelle_elkins
    Options
    miritikvah wrote: »
    I'm mostly vegetarian and I understand the struggle. Especially staying within calorie range since nonanimal protein can more caloric. In addition to above I find veggie burgers/premade vegitarian meat alternatives to be quite good. Tons of variety too. They're a bit high in sodium but a lifesaver when I don't want to cook.
    Thank you so much! I will definitely be checking out Pinterest for recipes for veggie burgers and black bean burgers!
  • lechelle_elkins
    Options
    Soy/soya :)
    Can you recommend any?
  • gamthe3rd
    gamthe3rd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans, and a good animal free supplement
  • bjoyner2017
    bjoyner2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself total vegetarian because I eat chicken and fish at least 2-3 times a week and it is usually during dinner. But I can tell you that when I don't ingest meat I feel so much better. My protein sources are eggs and beans and I love quinoa!!! My goal is to lose at least 10 pounds, which is so hard to lose for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I tried tofu for the first time yesterday and loved it! I just need to find different ways of cooking it! Any favorites for you?

I love baked tofu. Here is an example: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241709/baked-tofu/