5K Training

Options
Hello all! I'm currently training for my very first 5K. I'm NOT a good runner at all and I'm looking for some friends (from all fitness levels!) to share in this experience/support each other! My 5K isn't until May 21st - but I'm giving myself plenty of time to train :)

Replies

• Slimjimjellybelly
    Slimjimjellybelly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm also training to run a 10k trail but can't run 5k yet! Fortunately I've got until august to to train.
    I'm doing the couch 2 5k program and it's working for me, I'm only on week 2 so I'm still a beginner.
    There's a group on here that just discus c25k and log their reports.
    I'll try and find a link.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Great! You're gonna love it! :)

Are you following a training plan?

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.

Good luck.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Perfect!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build. Get some good shoes at a running store and only wear them to run in. Get your miles in and enjoy.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Running is my fav....it is my focus for 2017. feel free to add me...
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to embark on my first 5k journey as well...looking into signing up for one the beginning of April. Looking to start training this weekend and will start out trying the couch to 5k program and see how I like it. Good advice with the running shoes...

I wish it would stop raining around here!
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have just started the C210K programme and I'm currently on week 2 and i use 9km forestry trail near my home so the terrain is pretty varied. I really enjoy the programme because despite the fact that I can walk 20+ km in a day easily, I can't run for toffee! YET!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Double voting on the C25K

Slow, slow and steady. Run slow enough you can keep a conversation going. If you're out of breath, slow down. Time = speed. The more you run, the quicker you will get. Just take your time!

Feel free to add me, I am training for my first HM this year :smile:
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner as well but I'm a Cardio Queen and body weight strength trainer turned Strong Curves Follower, so I actually had the stamina and strength to run as soon as I started.. I've been moderating my pace/ distance for the last three months to acclimate my muscles and joints. Starting next week, I've been "talked into" training for a trail running relay, so I'm excited about that!! We are starting with 14 miles per week (close to what I currently run) and gradually building to THIRTY (seems SO crazy lol) per week over the next 12 weeks!! I just keep thinking of what my abs, legs and glutes will probably look like when this is over and it motivates me! LOL! With all the hills/inclines I'm hoping they gain a bit more mass.. well not my abs of course. :-) All runners and weight lifters please add me!!
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    I'm a new runner as well but I'm a Cardio Queen and body weight strength trainer turned Strong Curves Follower, so I actually had the stamina and strength to run as soon as I started..

A firm believer in this^^^. I never ran much but believe overall fitness expedited that process.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5k. I regularly run now thanks to following the program. I had to complete a couple of weeks more than once, so it took me 13 weeks instead of 8, but it really helped get me running. I have a 5k race at the end of April. I'm going to also start training for a 10k. Haven't signed up for a specific race, but just want to be able to run one.

Another good app is the Zombies, Run 5k. It's a little less structured than C25K, so it doesn't seem as daunting if you're just starting out.

Feel free to add me if you are looking for a fellow running friend.
  • cet3328
    cet3328 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback and support everyone! :) I'm actually using the Nike Running App to train. Has anyone used that before?

I tried C25K and enjoyed the pace of it but I just could never get myself motivated to keep going with it.
  • kbonamission
    kbonamission Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm just starting to train for a 5k and was wondering how you're doing and if the Nike Running App was a good one to use. Feel free to add me. :)
  • doglovingrunner
    doglovingrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the amazing world of running. slow and steady finishes the race injury free. don't be tempted to go faster than you're comfortable with. speed with come. focus on distance. I started running 4 years ago and love it. feel free to add me. i'm back on here after a taking a break for a few months. of course we all know what that means - yup gained some weight back.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first 5K as well. My race is April 1st and I'm just about ready. I didn't use the couch to 5K though. I just kind of started running on my own.