Don't feel like Im making progress

Options
I need some advice. I have been working extremely hard working out at the gym 5 days a week, zumba on the weekend and eating right... Sometimes. I do slip up on snacking, but its not much when I do. Any advice on what I can do to help get the weight and inches loss going? Im struggling here, i feel like Im working hard for nothing.

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Log your food accurately & honestly. Accurately means choose correct database entries, correct quantities based on weight with a food scale. Honestly means accounting for all food, drinks, condiments, cooking oils, etc. And from there, have patience. Assuming you have more than a few 'vanity pounds' to lose, the process could take months or longer, depending on your goals.

Ps-nothing wrong with 'snacking'. Refer back to the above: log it. Somtimes prelogging the day, meals and snacks, can help fit it all in and stay in your calorie goal.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ^^ All of the above. ^^ What are your stats (height, weight, etc), how many lbs/week did you tell MFP you'd like to lose, what's your daily calorie goal, and are you using a food scale to weigh everything you eat?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I read on these forums at some point that "you can't outrun your fork." If you want to lose weight, your first focus should be on food and determining exactly how many calories you are consuming. Weigh solid food on a food scale, measure liquids with a measuring cup, and log everything as accurately as you can. If you aren't already doing this, it seems very likely that you are eating more calories than you think you are.
    You don't say how long you've been at it, but if it's only been a few weeks, you may need to temper your expectations. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and you aren't going to lose it overnight either.
  • Brittbell87
    Brittbell87 Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

No i dont have a scale, but I probably should get one.
  • Brittbell87
    Brittbell87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You don't even mention the most important factor in weight loss - calories. You can exercise all day long but if you're eating too much you're not going to lose weight.

Im under my calories by the end of the day. Someone metioned that I need to weigh my foods, but I dont have a scale so I am going to invest with one.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You don't even mention the most important factor in weight loss - calories. You can exercise all day long but if you're eating too much you're not going to lose weight.

Im under my calories by the end of the day. Someone metioned that I need to weigh my foods, but I dont have a scale so I am going to invest with one.

Great! A lot of us think we're logging perfectly and then we get a food scale and oopsie! We're eating more than we thought....
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

If you don't have a food scale, you most likely aren't under your calories; the packaging's allowed to be 20% off because no 2 dishes of, food's guaranteed to be; the same weight! Possibly when Hot Pockets made, their 1st Asian Food Truck Pocket; it was 290 calories but 1 I got, after weighing it; was approximately 520!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

No i dont have a scale, but I probably should get one.

yeah. good idea.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You should get a food scale. Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnpUYmr0OM
  • cordney
    cordney Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes get a scale. This English muffin ended up being 160 calories instead of the 120 the package states for a 57g serving.

sggqmc214hba.jpg

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm getting a scale!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Also, you say you "don't feel like you're making progress". What does that mean? How much weight have you lost in the last month?