Calling All TURTLES.....

Options
Remember the story of the turtle and the hare?

Well, my name is Brenda....and I am a TURTLE....at least when it comes to losing weight! I posted a blog this morning about my "accepance" of my status as a turtle. Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/brendalyne

This past weekend....as I was about to tear my hair out and whining ONCE MORE to my husband about being frustrated that I wasn't losing and instead was even above my lowest weight, blah, blah, blah.....he stopped me in my tracks.

And he reminded me what our REAL goal was....to become HEALTHIER. Last March when we made that decision we'd set no time limit on that goal.

Don't get me wrong....reading about how fellow MFPers have lost XX pounds in a short time is still very inspiring and I am happy for every one of you who is a hare and is losing weight rapidly. I've even done it myself in the past...sometimes in a healthy way and sometimes in an extremely unhealthy way.

But for me, THIS TIME, it must be a lifestyle change. My REAL goal is to become a healthier ME - ONE DAY AT A TIME. That's my goal for today.....and it will be my goal tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that.....because that's what a JOURNEY is all about. So if it takes me much longer than many others on MFP to actually get to my goal weight, so what? It's about my health and making changes that I can live with every single day. I will get there in my own good time.

About that story of the turle and the hare? Well, yes, I am a turtle...but I WILL get there. I've already made a lot of changes. I feel SO MUCH better....I've had to shop for new clothes, and I am building actual MUSCLES!

So this is a call to all the OTHER turtles out there! How about keeping this thread going....to inspire each other and challenge each other to become healthier one day at a time....even if it's at a turle's pace!

Any one else want to join me?

Replies

• sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Remember the story of the turtle and the hare?

Well, my name is Brenda....and I am a TURTLE....at least when it comes to losing weight! I posted a blog this morning about my "accepance" of my status as a turtle. Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/brendalyne

This past weekend....as I was about to tear my hair out and whining ONCE MORE to my husband about being frustrated that I wasn't losing and instead was even above my lowest weight, blah, blah, blah.....he stopped me in my tracks.

And he reminded me what our REAL goal was....to become HEALTHIER. Last March when we made that decision we'd set no time limit on that goal.

Don't get me wrong....reading about how fellow MFPers have lost XX pounds in a short time is still very inspiring and I am happy for every one of you who is a hare and is losing weight rapidly. I've even done it myself in the past...sometimes in a healthy way and sometimes in an extremely unhealthy way.

But for me, THIS TIME, it must be a lifestyle change. My REAL goal is to become a healthier ME - ONE DAY AT A TIME. That's my goal for today.....and it will be my goal tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that.....because that's what a JOURNEY is all about. So if it takes me much longer than many others on MFP to actually get to my goal weight, so what? It's about my health and making changes that I can live with every single day. I will get there in my own good time.

About that story of the turle and the hare? Well, yes, I am a turtle...but I WILL get there. I've already made a lot of changes. I feel SO MUCH better....I've had to shop for new clothes, and I am building actual MUSCLES!

So this is a call to all the OTHER turtles out there! How about keeping this thread going....to inspire each other and challenge each other to become healthier one day at a time....even if it's at a turle's pace!

Any one else want to join me?

I'll join you! I can use all the help and encouragement that I can get! And I'll help you in anyway that I can!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    It's taken me since October '10 to lose 15 lbs. Well, actually about 22 since I lost some b4 joining MFP.

So I think I qualify as a turtle! :bigsmile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    w221301545.jpg

The title was so tempting.
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm a turtle, i'm a turtle!!!!
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    big time TURTLE here!!! loosing very slow but relatively steady can be frustrating at times I agree... lets all keep our heads up and spirits high
  • demonNIИ
    Options

LOVE this post ^.^
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you on all of this! It is a life style journey not just a "diet". It isn't about losing the weight it's about becoming a healthier and more than likely happier person! Slow is the way to go as far as I am concerned. That's my pace for this journey and I plan to enjoy every step of it!!!!
  • bwagstaff
    bwagstaff Posts: 6
    Options
    I was a hare...I have lost 116 pounds so far. But my body seems to have rebooted itself and I have slowed WAY down in my weight loss. I am a turtle now...but slow and steady will win the race. I would love to join you guys if you will have me! I too want to be healthier first, skinnier second.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Slow & steady here!
  • Deberlin88
    Deberlin88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I proudly call myself a turtle! I firmly believe that slowly, but surely, is the way to go. I've said from the beginning that I'm on a journey. It's been an wonderful journey and it's definitely been a lifestyle change.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I loved your post, Brenda! I am a turtle, too! In the past, I've lost weight easily and quickly on very low-calorie and fad diets. The weight has always come back, plus some.

This time, I decided to set a goal to lose about half a pound a week. I decided to eat moderately - no diets, no forbidden foods, no set rules, and no counting fat grams or carbs. Typically, I'm eating about 1800-2200 calories a day. I've been going for lots of long walks and riding my bike. Overall, it's been pleasant and sort of effortless.

And you know what... it's working! Today is my 100th day on MFP. I've lost 25 pounds, 4.5 inches off my waist, 6 off my hips, my blood pressure is down and my resting heart rate is lower.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Definitely a TURTLE!!!
  • BProudOfU
    BProudOfU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Turtle here! I have been on MFP and going to the gym for over a month now...lost a grand total of 5lbs! It is frustrating, especially when I tell some of my friends that I have lost 5 lbs, they say "And you've been at this for over a month?!" Yeah, yeah, yeah...I have to keep reminding myself that slow, steady weight loss is good for me. I figure if I have gained more than 5 lbs, then I'm still ahead of the game. My main goal is to be healthy, weight loss will come with that...even if it is 1 lb at a time.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My name is Christi and I'm a turtle :)

Thanks for posting. It's a great reminder to all of us turtles out there that while it may seem like it will take us longer to get there, in the end we will win the race.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I KNEW I wasn't alone! I love it! Any and all are welcome to the group. Yeah - GO TURTLES GO!!!! Or maybe we should call ourselves the NINJA TURTLES....defeating fat everywhere we go! HIIII YAH!!!!
  • demonNIИ
    Options
    I actually thought I was alone like I was doing something wrong or something was wrong withe me.... or not enough or not pushing myself. But I'm burning a ton of calories acc to my HRM . Glad I'm not alone
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options

I LOVE THIS by the way!
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    Yay! You know I'm in!
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You know I'm there with you brenda! I haven't lost anything consistent all month. And you know how hard I work to burn those measly calories!!! But I'm not going to let it stress me out. I will be healthy which is way more important than that dang scale!