Eat all my calories?

Options
I'm in desperate of a life style change and decided this app is going to help. So, after all of my meals are logged, says I still have 1000 calories available. I thought I heard someone say I needed to eat all of them. Is this correct?

Replies

• CaitKilla
    CaitKilla Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them back if you don't want to. If you're full you're full. But you should be eating at least 1000 calories a day or else you will start to feel really weak and won't be healthy. Eating back calories = slower weight loss though, so if you want to lose weight by a certain time, don't eat back as many calories.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful to know your stats: Age, height, weight and the loss you set MFP to (2, 1, or .5 lbs/week)

If you have 1000 calories remaining? That sounds like an awful lot, but you didn't happen to mention how many you have as a daily goal, how many are from exercise and how many you've eaten already. All of this would help others give better advice.

Generally speaking, MFP is set up to already include a deficit, so yes, you are meant to eat the total calories allotted. If a large amount are from exercise, then eat back half of the exercise calories as those tend to be over estimated.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie target and how much have you eaten? There are some complications such as nutritional deficiency which can occur which chronic undereating.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    CaitKilla wrote: »
    You don't have to eat them back if you don't want to. If you're full you're full. But you should be eating at least 1000 calories a day or else you will start to feel really weak and won't be healthy. Eating back calories = slower weight loss though, so if you want to lose weight by a certain time, don't eat back as many calories.

Not eating calories back after spending them on exercise = health problems from losing weight too fast.

People have this idea that more of a good thing is always better. It's not true. That's how most people wound up needing to lose weight to begin with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I wonder why they call it a goal?
  • amartinkat
    amartinkat Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When you don't eat all your calories it may be better if you are trying to lose weight because you may not be eating as much (which you would possibly gain more weight if you do)
    I personally started on the weekend and haven't used all my calories on any of the days. Some days it may not be necessary to use all but you may be at a party or out with friends or family and you could take a break that day or use all them. I usually have 100-200 left.
  • CaitKilla
    CaitKilla Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Not eating calories back after spending them on exercise = health problems from losing weight too fast.

People have this idea that more of a good thing is always better. It's not true. That's how most people wound up needing to lose weight to begin with.

Idk, some people say not to eat back your exercise calories :/ As long as you eat over 1000 or 1200 I think it's fine.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Sure the heck wish I could have 1000 calories left!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Get and use a food scale to weigh all your solids. Do not guesstimate portions. Use cups for liquids.

If you are using accurate entries and are still under your calorie goal by 1000, then re-evaluate your food. Add more calorie dense items such as nuts, cheese, and avocado to fill in the gap without filling up too much.

You need adequate fuel for your body. By underfeeding it, you risk a host of health problems such as muscle and hair loss, fatigue, unpleasant moods, and loss of libido.

As stated above, the goal that MFP gave you already gave you a deficit. If you input your stats correctly and chose a reasonable rate of loss, then it's done all the work for you. All you need to do is track your food and eat to your goal. If you are under one day here or there, it is generally OK as you will probably make it up in time but it is really important to be eating enough. You can't run a car on an empty tank.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Idk, some people say not to eat back your exercise calories :/ As long as you eat over 1000 or 1200 I think it's fine.
    1. OP didn't say anything about exercise calories.
    2. 1200 is fine for some people, but you have no idea what OP's height and weight is. You need to be pretty small and relatively inactive to get the fuel your body needs from 1200 cals. It's dangerous to make a blanket statement that it's fine for everyone.

OP, the calorie goal MFP gave you already includes the deficit you need to lose the amount of weight you chose. If you are routinely eating 1000 calories less and aren't hungry, you are most likely eating more than you think.

If you would provide your stats (height, weight, age, goal, etc) and/or open your diary, you would get better answers :)