Trail runners on asphalt/concrete?

Options
Beginning runner, halfway through C25K, and planning my first 2-miler and 5k in the next couple months. I've been running on grass and have a pair of trail runners I absolutely love, but is it ok/advisable to use them for street running? Will it injure me? Will it damage the shoes?

And on a related note, how much street running should I be doing before the races to prepare for the harder surface?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    The trail runners aren't going to hurt you or be hurt, but they probably have a bit more weight and support than you actually need. They usually have a thicker and heavier sole, with a slightly deeper tread, but otherwise aren't very different from regular running shoes.

I did C25k on a TM and then ran for about two weeks on asphalt before my first race to get used to the difference. I doubt there's any rule. You may find asphalt a lot easier/faster than running on grass and dirt. I do most of my runs now on the street but when I do a dirt road/path it is a bit slower. I do like the extra give underfoot though.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, @spiriteagle99!

I began C25K on asphalt but developed shin splints early on. I've been running on grass since then, in an effort to get stronger before going back to asphalt. I'm 2.5 weeks out from the two-miler, and was thinking of hitting the pavement for my last run this week to see how it feels now.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was advised not to use my trail runners on the pavement just because it wears the treads down really fast (maybe kind of like keeping winter tires on in the summer?)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    They usually have a thicker and heavier sole, with a slightly deeper tread

Or a thinner, lighter sole...

Fwiw I have several pairs of trail shoes for different uses. One pair have no cushioning, aggressive tread and a 3mm drop that aren't used on road at all. Another pair have minimal cushioning, a 3mm drop and a more moderate tread. Less useful in wet, muddy conditions but usable on road sections.

Wear and tear on the shoes will be higher. That's the main concern.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Definitely add in more road work OP if you've had shin splints before, to get used to the different surface.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was advised not to use my trail runners on the pavement just because it wears the treads down really fast (maybe kind of like keeping winter tires on in the summer?)
    Wear and tear on the shoes will be higher. That's the main concern.

That's what I was afraid of. Although I'd like to hold off buying another pair until I know how much street running I'm likely to be doing.
    Definitely add in more road work OP if you've had shin splints before, to get used to the different surface.

Will do.

Thanks!