3 Day Diet or Military Diet

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone's tried the military diet. I really want to try it since you lose weight fast within a short period of time, but I am concerned it will be really hard to keep the weight off. Please let me know or give me feedback on this if you've tried it or know anything about it!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    You'll probably find the responses in this thread to be useful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10501562/the-military-diet
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,009 Member
    The weight you lose is largely water weight, and so it will be very hard, in fact damn near impossible to keep it off.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Nope nope nope. Crash diets don't work and the military diet is a complete joke. Don't waste your time.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    The military diet when I was in the Army was to stuff my face as much as possible while training and exercising a lot. I didn't lose weight, but I sure toned up!

(I know there's some other diet called the military diet for some reason, but it's like the exact opposite of what we were told to do. And you'll probably have a really hard time making it on that little amount of food and eat more than the 1500 calories you're supposed to eat on the other 4 days which could lead to you actually gaining even more weight in the end.)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Also has nothing to do with the military
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    The military diet when I was in the Army was to stuff my face as much as possible while training and exercising a lot. I didn't lose weight, but I sure toned up!

(I know there's some other diet called the military diet for some reason, but it's like the exact opposite of what we were told to do. And you'll probably have a really hard time making it on that little amount of food and eat more than the 1500 calories you're supposed to eat on the other 4 days which could lead to you actually gaining even more weight in the end.)

I was on the same diet and gained 25lbs and was toned and strong. It's my goal to look like that again and be healthy. That's kinda how I remember it, eat alot because you will need it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Not much can be achieved in 3 days, be it weight loss or gain..
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I tried the "military diet", didn't lose any considerable amount of weight with it. But it did become a helpful tool for me while I was losing on 1200 calories/day and needed a quick/easy meal plan guide in the beginning...I just modified the meats to things I preferred and increased portion sizes to meet 1200 calories.
  • lenette88
    lenette88 Posts: 18 Member
    I tried the "military diet", didn't lose any considerable amount of weight with it. But it did become a helpful tool for me while I was losing on 1200 calories/day and needed a quick/easy meal plan guide in the beginning...I just modified the meats to things I preferred and increased portion sizes to meet 1200 calories.

I've been doing something similar. I just use it sort of as a guide of when to eat carbs, proteins etc... so for instance one lunch calls for 5 crackers and tuna; I don't like tuna so I eat grilled fish or chicken breast instead, 5 crackers is just plain ridiculous so I grab a corn tortilla instead and have myself a taco :D
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    short term weight loss plans only sustain the weight loss for a short period of time.

Gradual small changes you can sustain for a lifetime is your best bet for keeping weight off.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Not much can be achieved in 3 days, be it weight loss or gain..

Bingo.

It's also no better or worse than any other low cal diet for three days, and the food choices are unappealing/not especially nutritious, and the claims that the combinations have some magical weight-loss properties pure scam.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    It's a VLCD filled with arbitrary, odd and not particularly nutritious food combinations (hot dogs, saltines and ice cream, my kids would be in heaven!). that may result in short term water weight loss but don't yield lasting results or teach sustainable habits...

OP why does the idea of rapid weight loss appeal to you? How much weight in total are you trying to lose?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

So basically eating at a calorie deficit and logging all your food? Like what MFP is set up to do?