Belly Fat

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for losing belly fat? Despite going to the gym 3 times a week, swimming and Pilates, the fat remains! I'm losing weight from everywhere else but not around my middle.

Replies

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    It took me losing weight until I got to a low weight for my height to see my stomach disappear (especially after a baby). Exercising helped me tone up the area, but dropping the extra vanity pounds were the main reason why I finally saw a flat stomach. (And I was exercising 5 times a week at least)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. Pilates is great for building core strength, but you're building the muscles underneath the fat. The only way to lose your belly fat is to maintain the calorie deficit MFP gave you until the fat is gone.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ... and the middle is always the last place it disappears from ... like previous poster mentions you cannot spot reduce (unfortunately)
  • Kaz3369
    Kaz3369 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am quite often under my calorie target due to the amount of exercise I do, but I never manage to stick to my fat target and I'm quite often over. Maybe this could have something to do with it?
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Its just lowering your body fat. My hips and thighs are the last to shrink, the top of of me gets quite thin before my belly and hips do.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Kaz3369 wrote: »
    I am quite often under my calorie target due to the amount of exercise I do, but I never manage to stick to my fat target and I'm quite often over. Maybe this could have something to do with it?

I dont think it matters, as long as you are under your calories. Dietary fat does not equal body fat. I may be wrong but there is more evidence linking carb intake to belly fat - but that may bunk.
  • davidmcinally90
    davidmcinally90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Planks helped me. I lost 10 inches of belly fat!!!
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before but it is applicable here as well:

The above posts nailed it. There is no way for you to tell your body where to take fat from... genetically we all are predisposed to utilizing certain fat stores ahead of others. The abdominal area itself tends to be the alamo for body fat to hold up in to the bitter end unfortunately. But as they have said above, as long as you continue to have a calorie deficit you will most certainly get their eventually once the other reserves are tapped.

In general any type of resistance training will benefit your goals but believe it or not working out large muscle groups like Legs (Quads and hamstrings), chest and back will actually do more to reduce that stomach fat then sit ups ever could.

Keep working you will get there!