New here. Looking for a water guru.

Options
I just started on Jan 16, 2017. Loving it so far. My biggest problem is not getting enough water in... other than an occasional glass of organic hot tea, water is all I drink. Needing a "water motivator".

Replies

• mybattle2006
    mybattle2006 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ps I'm sorry, but I don't know how to add friends yet: still figuring MFP out. If someone could tell me, that would be wonderful.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started up again in Jan as well, after several years of absence.

To invite a friend,
    - click on their name in a thread and a pop up will show their pic, name and buttons to 'Send Message' or 'Ignore'
    - click on their hyperlinked name again, and it will open their profile page with buttons to 'Send Message' or 'Add as Friend'

Re: water
    How much tea and water are you drinking now? My trick is to throw a tea bag into one of those supersized coffee mugs and fill it up with hot water. I may refill it several times with hot water and reuse the tea bag since it still flavors the water.
  • luckyme404
    luckyme404 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Water guru:) I like that. I drink room temp water, it seems to go down easier for me. Whenever I want to grab for some salty snack I drink 2 cups of water first, that usually tames the craving. I end up drinking close to 10 cups of water daily, simply from drinking water before every meal and when I want to snack. Works for me. It becomes a habit after awhile.
  • mybattle2006
    Options
    Theo166 I have only one cup of tea in the mornings, and only at work. I don't count that as water intake. Maybe I should? Anyway, I'm varying between a measley 30 oz to 100 oz of water a day. I may try your idea of refilling my cup with my tea bag, and count that towards my daily consumption. Great idea! And thank you for the friend add tip. I will try it out today. :)
  • mybattle2006
    Options
    luckyme404 wrote: »
    I end up drinking close to 10 cups of water daily, simply from drinking water before every meal and when I want to snack. Works for me. It becomes a habit after awhile.

I love this suggestion!!! What a great habit to adapt to!!! I'll try this very thing today. Thank you!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Tea is water. Soda is water. Fruit/veggies contain water. All of it counts.
  • ursabhi
    ursabhi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have an app to remind me. It's called my water. I also have an app to tell me to stand up and whenever I stand, I walk a bit too. Like it to beat my sedentary life otherwise :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    So you're telling me there is a market for a guru to receive compensation to advise people on how to drink water.

Interesting....
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I was terrible at drinking enough water. Then a good friend bought me a 32oz water bottle that keeps the water REALLY cold for a long time. I struggled because I was trying to do room temperature water. Now, it's easy for me to kill 3 of these bottles a day since the water stays nice and cold. Plus I downloaded (yet another) app to track that. It's cuter than tracking in MFP. :) Chug-a-lug!
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Drink 1 liter of water first thing in the morning. It will take awhile to get used to but soon you'll be able to finish it easily. And that will not only hydrate you from the night's sleep and do a great job of waking you up but will be a quick start to your water goal.

There is a lot of debate if only straight water counts on here but I also will drink Crystal Light flavored water to add taste or add fresh lemon. I also like the idea of room temperature water. I even drink slightly warm water as well sometimes. Finally, I try to make sure I drink two glasses as lunch and dinner.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Unless you have a specific medical issue, drink when you're thirsty. Problem solved.

Edited to add, other liquids hydrate you, as does a lot of the food you eat.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    Unless you have a specific medical issue, drink when you're thirsty. Problem solved.

Edited to add, other liquids hydrate you, as does a lot of the food you eat.

^^This.

If you are not thirsty, you are adequately hydrated. And all liquids count, not just water. :)

The only time you might consider drinking extra water is if you're consuming salty foods to help flush the extra sodium from your system.

Here's a great video that explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWASUMMQjj8