Glute Isolation

Options
Which excercises are your favourites for glute isolation?
Squats does not count since they are a compound exercise.

Replies

• kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do Bulgarian Split Squats count? I did these yesterday with my PT and my butt is on fire!!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Glute bridge with a hold at the top.
  • NewSouthernBelle
    NewSouthernBelle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Donkey kicks!
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Reverse raised lunges
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Glute Ham Raise is my new favorite. Maybe technically more of a compound movement than a complete isolation(?) but I've never felt a better "squeeze" than I do with GHR's. Sumo deadlifts are also a compound, but again, awesome squeeze.
    I also like cable or band pull throughs, single leg press downs (I use the assisted pull up machine), the abductor machine with my butt off the seat. Banded things like Monster Walks (I think that's the name?) are also great.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

I like these. I like GB more than hip thrusts these days for some reason. I usually try to hold the last for the number of seconds that match the number of reps I'm doing (e.g., 8 reps = 8 second hold at top of last rep.)

Also, I like back extensions done like this. They hit my glutes hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnjXAAr29Lc
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say hip thrusts and bridges, but I don't know if I would strictly call them glute isolation
  • ew_david
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I like these. I like GB more than hip thrusts these days for some reason. I usually try to hold the last for the number of seconds that match the number of reps I'm doing (e.g., 8 reps = 8 second hold at top of last rep.)

I love this bench version of back extensions too! Never knew it existed until you (or someone) posted it here.

As for glute bridge vs. hip thrusts...my bench is slightly too high for me to get into position with hip thrusts comfortably. Like, the first rep is me just getting my shoulders onto the bench the right way. I tend to prefer GB for that reason, but still do hip thrusts.
  • jemhh
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would say hip thrusts and bridges, but I don't know if I would strictly call them glute isolation

Agreed. There are definitely other muscles at work, though when I think of them I would consider them to be for strengthening the glutes rather than specifically for other muscles.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I love this bench version of back extensions too! Never knew it existed until you (or someone) posted it here.

As for glute bridge vs. hip thrusts...my bench is slightly too high for me to get into position with hip thrusts comfortably. Like, the first rep is me just getting my shoulders onto the bench the right way. I tend to prefer GB for that reason, but still do hip thrusts.

Before I got a smaller bench, I used to primarily do American hip thrusts, so more of your back on the bench and not going all the way to the bottom. Maybe give that a try to see if it works with your bench height
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Serious question. Why do people "isolation" work outs?

I have always been under the impression that it's better to do exercises that focus on ranges of motion so that you don't risk muscle imbalance.

Is there a theory/purpose behind it?
  • ew_david
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

I have always been under the impression that it's better to do exercises that focus on ranges of motion so that you don't risk muscle imbalance.

I don't do isolation workouts. The question was "Which excercises are your favourites for glute isolation?" and I provided my answer.

If the question were "which workout is your favorite?" I'd have a different answer.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I would say in general with today's society sitting around all the time these people already HAVE muscular imbalances. I can't think of a single woman that i've trained that was not quad dominant during squats or that has underactive glutes.

To the OP in reference to what i said above, yes things like glute bridges and hip thrusts are awesome, but only once this problems been fixed. I've personally found that unilateral glute work is more effective for beginners and even intermediate lifters.

IMO here's my pick:
    • Bulgarian Split Squat (add dumbbells, add a deficit with both legs elevated, try on the trx for stabilization)
    • Single Leg Deadlift (can use a dumbbell or kettlebell for weight)
    • Pistol Squats (you can use counterweight if beginner, TRX for beginner, or elevation)
    • Single Leg Glute Bridge (can be done off bench, with feet on bench, or even more difficult with feet on a stability ball)
    • Weighted Step Ups

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Difference between an "isolation workout" and an "isolation exercise". It's a tool, just like anything else. You use the right tool for the job.

Compound exercises--in this case say squats and deadlifts--have overall strength and functional benefits and are the better choices for a general whole-body workout, but they do not completely target the glutes.

So if one of your goals is to develop your glutes, then it makes sense to include an exercise or two that actually targets the glutes.

To me, for glute development, that's a better strategy than choosing exercises that don't directly target the glutes. But that's just me.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

As rainbowbow said, most people have muscle imbalances. I am very quad dominant, I have weak hamstrings and don't properly engage my glutes on compound movements, so squat and deadlifts end up working my already stronger muscles more than my weaker ones.
    I've seen a lot of progress in my posture and strength by isolating my weaker muscles after my compound movements.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Difference between an "isolation workout" and an "isolation exercise". It's a tool, just like anything else. You use the right tool for the job.

Compound exercises--in this case say squats and deadlifts--have overall strength and functional benefits and are the better choices for a general whole-body workout, but they do not completely target the glutes.

So if one of your goals is to develop your glutes, then it makes sense to include an exercise or two that actually targets the glutes.

To me, for glute development, that's a better strategy than choosing exercises that don't directly target the glutes. But that's just me.

The bold is important.

When I started lifting I had a ton of problems with back squats. I picked up Strong Curves, after a lot of eye rolling at its name and the program names (Gluteal Goddess, Booty-full Beginnings, gag me) because I wanted to find a way to squat and it has you do different types of squats (or squat movements) at every workout. The glute stuff was very much secondary to me in the beginning but I found that it helped me a ton in the long term. I had been super sedentary and had really weak glutes (and legs and in general.) Strengthening them with focused exercises was important for me.
  • emmaaws
    emmaaws Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    KMAF00 wrote: »
    Do Bulgarian Split Squats count? I did these yesterday with my PT and my butt is on fire!!

Absolutely, totally forgot about these. Probably because they're such a pain in the butt, literally haha! Last time I did these I barely could walk the day after, which isn't the best when you're working in a store, standing and walking all day. B)

Thank you all for sharing your favorite isolation exercises for the glutes! :) Like rainbowbow said about most women, I am one of those. I have super dominant quads because of horseback riding as a kid. So when I do regular squats my glutes and hams give up and the quads take over so I need to do these glute focus exercises to build strength in the glutes before I can increase my squat weight in proper form, same with deadlifts and even sumo deads.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Isolation workouts will help if you're trying to improve certain muscles, but this goes into the realm of competitive bodybuilding and fitness comps or for people who only care to workout parts they care about. Hence why you may see males with lousy leg development while having a decent upper body, or a female with great legs and spindling looking arms and shoulders.

This whole "butt" thing is so overrated. Many people will do some of the exercises in vain trying to "shape" their butt to look heart shaped, etc. but not even realizing that if they have a "square" looking butt, it's only going to look like a bigger "square" when their done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options

I love this exercise and tried it at the gym -- holy ouch, my inner thighs couldn't hold myself on without really bad pain. Wonder if I was doing something wrong

• jemhh
    Options
    cessi0909 wrote: »

I love this exercise and tried it at the gym -- holy ouch, my inner thighs couldn't hold myself on without really bad pain. Wonder if I was doing something wrong

I externally rotate my hips and hook my feet under the bench so I am mostly hanging on with them. Not much, if any inner thigh squeezing, though your hamstrings do come into play. It's really about the glute squeeze :smile:

It's kind of like if you took this position and flipped over so you are on the bench and instead of bridging into the air so your pelvis is moving up and down, your upper body moves up and down as you squeeze your glutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyCiZVMMDW4